Canvas Replacement on Pop-top - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2011, 04:04 PM   #21

Name: Doc
Trailer: TrailsWest CAMPSTER 1970
Washington
POP TOPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I like the pop top as it fits my garage in California and rides cheaply on the ferries here!

Yes Bobbie, you bring up a good point about the 'height' restriction of 7 1/2 feet on Washington ferries. When I add the dome I will make surre it complies.....I am also considering lowering my Campster. Even though I am a boondocer, being a lo-rider like the Boler, won't cramp my style on
the back roads.

Doc the BoonDOCer.....aka campfrugal
campfrugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:26 AM   #22

Name: Teri
Trailer: Casita looking for, currently have a RoadTrek
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by campfrugal View Post
Teri, that's a great job.

I have had my Campster for 6 months now and have upgreaded, revised, renewed everything except for the pop top....I have a torn Rotator Cuff and can't get my arms to work over my head anymore...I am leaving this
pop top for a Spring Project when my Son visits. Here is what I am designing. 'A permanent' installation of a Lexan plastic doam (Skylite).
I will relocate the existing roof vent to the front left side.

BoonDOCer...aka Campfrugal
Thanks for the complement Doc. I do like the lower profile for towing and storing. My trailer won't be in the garage however as there is too much other stuff in there.

Your modification sounds interesting. Would like to see pics when you get it done.

Isee you are in WA. My mom is on Whidbey Island and I am a native Seattleite. I will have to take my trailer up there when Bobbie is up there.
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #23

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Sounds like fun.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #24

California
Registry
Canvas is getting sewn - Finally!

Finally started sewing the replacement canvas/nylon for my Campster. Got the main section sewn and now have to put in the no-see-um screen for the windows and then covers for them.

I will be attaching the replacement nylon to the wooden frame with one in molding on the bottom of the frame and then staples on the pop-top part.

I am rethinking the windows in the top. Not sure I want to put them on all four sides. I am thinking of just doing two or three. Probably will decide as I am sewing that part and how much of hassle they are. Will see how it goes.

After the replacement nylon I will be getting new foam and reconfiguring the way the bed is set up. Pictures to follow.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #25

Name: Jimbo
Trailer: 1971 Trails West Campster/1980 Scamp 13
California
Registry
Great thread, and thanks for the pictures. My top lists to one side or the other when you pop it up. Maybe it is the rotten wood from what Ive read here. On the plus side, I sprayed some silicon lubrricant on the springs and the rails and it goes up and down nicely now, so those dont need to be replaced.

Does anyone know of a pattern for the canvas for the poptop. The one I bought just had window screen stapled in all the way around.

Thanks!!!!
Thee Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #26

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Our top has no windows, just yellow canvas. The guy said it came that way. Maybe the windows were an option. I just wonder how important they are as every VW I had, the zippers were the biggest problems.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #27

California
Registry
The canvas on mine had screen in 4 windows, one on each side and no evidence that there was ever a cover for them. I am avoiding zippers as I don't like to sew them and using velcro for the cover of the window netting.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:01 AM   #28

California
Registry
Canvas almost done

Today I got the screens into the new 'canvas' for the pop-top of my Campster. All that is left is to put the window covering on so I can close the screens for weather when needed. I am using velcro instead of zippers. I hate sewing zippers.

I also only made 2 windows instead of the four that were originally in the canvas. Sewing in the screens is not an easy task, not hard but time consuming. I hope to get the covers done tomorrow and will post pics when the 'canvas' is installed.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #29

Name: Bill
Trailer: Trails West
Illinois
I'm curious. How did you attach the wood frame for the popup mechanism to the trailer?

Bill
Bill K Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:12 AM   #30

California
Registry
HI Bill,

sorry for the delay but I have been out of town. The wooden frame that holds the lift mechanism is secured to the trailer with screws that were there originally. I did replace the screws as they were old and rusty in some cases.

I will try to get some pictures tomorrow. i hope to finish that canvas tomorrow as well.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #31

California
Registry
Replacement canvas Done!

Mostly. A few minor adjustments might be needed.

I used ripstop nylon that is usually used in tent floors. I made it one long piece, double thickness. Put a window in each of the long sides using no see um netting. Made covers for the windows and they close with velcro. I attached the piece to the pop-top roof with velcro and have staple gunned the bottom to the wooden frame. I need to make a couple of adjustments but all is well. I will try to attach pictures

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0313.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	44780

Name:	IMG_0314.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	44781

Name:	IMG_0315.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	44782

Name:	IMG_0316.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	44783
Old 04-11-2012, 06:03 PM   #32

Name: Bill
Trailer: Trails West
Illinois
Thanks! I was wondering if the screws went up through the roof to attach the frame or sidewats through the lip. I need to do the same thing. Yours looks great. I hop I can do as well.

Bill
Bill K Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #33

Name: Chris
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster
Washington
Registry
That looks great do you happen to have the messurments for the pop-up. i also have a campster and have been needing to redo the canvas for a few years, but have not had the money to have one made been quoted $250-$300. Not all that good with a sowing machine but i would like to give this a try. Tired of my neck pain when camping
Chris McGurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #34

Name: Doc
Trailer: TrailsWest CAMPSTER 1970
Washington
Campster Pop Tops

Chris, you mentioned your sore NECK....I just sit on a stool to do my cooking.....Since I don't have a height problem with a garage, I don't need a pop top.....MY plan is to use a clear lexan sky lite from a house. I am still looking for one.
Doc the boonDOCer @ campfrugal
campfrugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #35

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Nice job! I am tempted to tackle mine.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #36

California
Registry
Thanks for the compliments. It wasn't that hard to do. The hardest part is the windows, which is why I decided to just do the sides.

Question about dimensions... The opening is 5 feet long by just about 2 feet. I bought 5 yards of material that was 60 inches wide. I wanted to have the fabric pop up be at least 15 inches and figure on a one inch seam with double stitching and one inch fold for attaching to the frame of lift mechanism. I cut a 34 inch length of the fabric and ran a seam along the edge. Pulled it through and then put in the windows.

The biggest challenge was finding a place to cut that length of fabric and then working with it. I used and 8 foot long folding table and actually set up my sewing machine in the trailer and did all the sewing in there (trailer was plugged in to 110V)

There was plenty of material to go around the opening. I made mine a little too exact which made the final attachment a little tricky. I also ended up with 16 inches of height which is fine. The extra fabric I used for the cover over the no see um netting.

The materials cost me about $125.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #37

Washington
Registry
Thank you every much Teri i am going to give it a try. :-) wish me luck
Old 05-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #38

California
Registry
Good Luck Chris.

Teri
Old 05-02-2012, 01:43 AM   #39

Washington
Registry
Teri do you happen to have any close up pic.'s of the popup mechanism? Not sure if mine has been rigged befor to work or not, there are a lot of little parts. The hardware on both sides don't match.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #40

California
Registry
I'll get out this weekend and take some close ups.

Tags
campster, pop-top canvas, trails west