Amerigo Campers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2009, 02:13 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
So in my happy hunting of eggies I came across an ad for a 1970's "Amerigo" camper.

It looks pretty cool (to my untrained eye), but it seems that info on these guys is quite scarce. Does anyone have anything to say? Are parts standard, or are you in trouble with a rare brand when it comes time to replace window glass and awnings and whatnot?

Any tips for or against this brand?
Chrs P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Doubtful Amerigo made their own windows. Could be from Hehr or a number of different manufacturers. Window glass is not a problem.

All the appliances are manufactured by someone else too. And that includes the vents and awnings.

The only thing (probably) manufactured by Amerigo is the body and the frame.

I haven't heard anyone say they have any more or less problems with an Amerigo than any other brand of it's vintage.

Hope this answers your questions until someone else pops in!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Chrs P... Welcome to our fiberglass world. If it's the square 16'er you might want to take a good look at the roof. Some of the flat roofed square trailers had issues with the roof cupping in the center. Paul Neumeister from Sebringville Ont. has a square 1650 Boler that had this problem and it's a close cousin of the Amerigo.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. Paul N. rebuilt this trailer from the ground up. His shop is A-1 Auto Refinishing 519-393-6410 He would be glad to help.
Attached Thumbnails
Pauls_1650.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:17 AM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
What Alf said.
The Amerigo has a double hull roof and every one I have been in has had some roof drooping ,one was almost 6 inches down in the center.

The original windows are prone to the mechanism breaking and then they are hard to keep open as the hinge from the top and the bottem swings out. This keeps the rain out but also can keep fresh air out.

They are an interesting trailer though for sure.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:12 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hmmm... interesting. The guy sent me 8 pics of the trailer - in none of them can you see the roogline from either the inside or the outside. Since its 8 hours away, I am a little leery.

Since they are double-hulled, I suppose a repair would involve separating th e2 halves and re-building with some kind of stiffener in there? Maybe an aluminium frame or core the FG (Balsa? Plywood?) or else make some kind of ribs to support the 2 skins and maintain separation, while allowing airflow?

Sounds like a pretty hefty project in any case.
Chrs P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Chrs P... Give Paul N. a call...thats his shop# so during the day. I think his Boler 1650 was only a single hull and he had to jack up the roof a little at a time and reinforce it with ribs and make it into a double hulled roof. I saw it at his shop during the rebuild/repaint.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. I'm sure he wouldn't mind discussing it with you.
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #7

Name: Denise
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
Maine
Registry
I guess I'm lucky, I've got a '73 Amerigo, no drooping of the roof (they are built in two pieces, the top shell and the bottom, with a gasket between the two 1/2's) All of my appliances work, all of the windows work..the windows are a little funky in that the window unit slides go through the screen. Mine all work fine though. I'd recommend the Amerigo, it's a nice camper!

Denise
Old 05-12-2011, 06:08 PM   #8

Cool Denise! Have any pictures to share?
Old 05-12-2011, 06:25 PM   #9

Name: Denise
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
Maine
Registry
I hope that I attached the image correctly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Cool Denise! Have any pictures to share?
LOL, thanks for asking Donna, I have only got a couple of the outside..and i hope I attached it correctly to this response.
I bought the Amerigo late last summer (early Fall), had it checked out (everything was great on it..luckily enough), hooked on and took it on a 12 day vaca to Nova Scotia, New Brunswick's coastline, all the way up to the town of Gaspé, QC.
I really need to uncover it and start cleaning it up for camping this year and take some pics of the inside.
I was amazed that everything worked..I believe that I'm a 3rd owner, and it's in fantastic shape for a '73.

Denise
Attached Thumbnails
1973 Amerigo FG-16.jpg  
Old 05-12-2011, 08:46 PM   #10

Nice, very nice Denise... the Boopmobile... LOVE it!

Tags
amerigo