Fiberglass Trailer Scams - Page 20 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #381

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
May or May Not be a problem.....

I used to buy Toyota motorhomes for 6-12 month visitors from Australia and New Zealand, and then they (or I) would resell them at the end of their trips. Perhaps that is the case here. The Boler may have US registration and they can't take it back into Canada any more than we can just bring a Canadian rig down here.

I called the number and left a message and also send an email pointing out the possible problems. I suggested that they note the registration in the ad.

If it is Canadian they could be held at the border for leaving contraband in the U.S.

Here is the link: http://ventura.craigslist.org/rvs/4179606474.html

Selling it in SoCal is a good bet for best price and it's only a 2-3 day drive home for them.

Let's wait ands see if they reply, change their ad or, take it down all together.

In the meantime it can always be flagged.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #382

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Bob, your correct it *could* have US registration but I did send them a note and asked about that and mentioned the problems with selling a Canadian Registered trailer in the USA..... NO response. Which is why I have flagged it. If they really want to sell it and its US Registered one would think they would respond.......
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #383

I agree.... I still haven't gotten a reply to either my phone call or email. At about 10AM, just to protect any local buyers, I will contact the Ventura County Sherriff and advise them of Canadians illegally selling contraband at a public park and let them make a visit.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #384

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
and advise them of Canadians illegally selling contraband at a public park and let them make a visit.
LOL well maybe if it is an out and out Scam it may be they are not Canadians either Claiming it would make for a real good excuse for having vanished off the face of the earth if purchaser has any registration or other issues after the purchase.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #385

Ventura P.D. has been advised and, in as much as it is illegal to advertise a motor vehicle for sale on a public street, they will stop by for an informational chat with the sellers.

BUT: They can't act on the selling situation.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #386

Registry
Bob you have really gone to town on this one! To think I actually hesitated to post it as possible scam thinking it may not be appropriate before actually being able to confirm it was are was not a Canadian registered trailer.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #387

I just didn't want to have to see a thread in about 2 weeks titled "Help - How do I register an FGRV from Canada".

Actually the dispatcher balked a bit and asked me a lot of Q's. When he asked "What's it to you anyway" I said "Nothing, pretty much like it might have been nothing to him if the bus driver in Rochester, NY had just driven by the person that was going to jump off the bridge".

That seems to get his interest. Anyway, because of the "no selling vehicles on the street" law, they said that they will check them out.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:40 PM   #388

Name: Toad
Trailer: Casita 17
Texas
A quick google search of the phone number will yield the same add in other states. I have had some fun with the scammers. I figure if I play with them it keeps them at bay for a short time.
Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:14 PM   #389

Name: Sue
Trailer: Uhaul CT13
Nevada
'06 Casita Spirit Dlx for $3900.!! Wouldn't we all suspect that is a scam? Just posted 6/14/14 on Craig's List, Smyrna GA. (Wonder where he/she got the fotos?) Check out fightthescams.com - great place to uncover these shady dirtbags.
SueP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 11:31 AM   #390

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I am glad to see the scammers on Craigslist becoming more inventive with their ad titles. It helps us identify the scam ads. Like this one I saw yesterday:
"2+0+0+1 C+++++++asi+++++++++ta Spirit Deluxe $2000 (P`R`E`F`E`R) pic [×]"
Anyone with an ounce of experience can smell the skunk who wrote that!

Also, some of the scammers are now superimposing their phone number on the picture of the RV, something the ordinary, honest CL seller would never take time to do.

These guys must be really stupid! They're making it easier to spot the crooks.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:37 PM   #391

They do the weird spelling in part so a suspecting buyer can't copy and google the odd spelling to come up with 35 other C/L ads for the same trailer.

Actually, when craigslist started suppressing the phone numbers it made it easier to scam and harder to chase frauds.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #392

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Yup, the C/L scammers have been hot and heavy. I've flagged to many to count and am just about through with trying to keep people from being stupid. Everyone's heard "If it sounds to good......" but maybe the only way they're going to learn it's true is to find out for themselves the hard way. The live and learn thing. Import/export from Canada may just be an honest mistake with not knowing the rules with some.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:06 AM   #393

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Randy Bishop's 1978 Trillium 4500
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I am glad to see the scammers on Craigslist becoming more inventive with their ad titles. It helps us identify the scam ads. Like this one I saw yesterday:
"2+0+0+1 C+++++++asi+++++++++ta Spirit Deluxe $2000 (P`R`E`F`E`R) pic [×]"
Anyone with an ounce of experience can smell the skunk who wrote that!

Also, some of the scammers are now superimposing their phone number on the picture of the RV, something the ordinary, honest CL seller would never take time to do.

These guys must be really stupid! They're making it easier to spot the crooks.
Hi,

A CL scammer's ad is what got me to google search for the UHaul trailer they had listed, (which was too good to be true,) and eventually brought me to this site.

Because of that scammer ad, (and their horrible red flag replies by email,) this site was glaringly obviously good. The scammer's emails were so canned and not in reply to my questions it was obvious. CL is full of scammers for selling and buying. Since I did a major downsizing purge I had items listed and am just amazed at the level of purchasing scammers out there! One even claimed the name, with the email avatar, of a Major General (Richardson,) of all things!

Now I am the proud owner of a trailer which I hope to pick up once I get my new-to-me-truck next weekend!!

Jen
Gennaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:09 AM   #394

Name: James
Trailer: K-Line 1970's ish
British Columbia
Another Scamp Scam.

Listed in Americanlisted.com there is a great deal on a 2008 Scamp.

In the picture of the trailer you see "text me 9014300535"

I'll let the pictures tell the rest of the story
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Viracocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:16 AM   #395

Name: James
Trailer: K-Line 1970's ish
British Columbia
Another Scamp Scam. Pictures

Here are the pictures you will see in the ad. They respond to you within a few days and they give you very detailed pictures.

The licence plate is even current for WA
0826UD with 2016 tags for WA
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Viracocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:14 PM   #396

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viracocha View Post
Here are the pictures you will see in the ad. They respond to you within a few days and they give you very detailed pictures.

The licence plate is even current for WA
0826UD with 2016 tags for WA
Scammer swiped those pics from an ad last year at FGRVs 4 sale, here's the link: 2009 13' Scamp Travel Trailer | Vancouver, WA | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp