Why's Escape doing so well??? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2017, 09:39 AM   #41

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Why's Escape doing so well???

Currently Escape is benefitting from a strong stock market, favorable exchange rate with the US, and a wave of baby boomers retiring. The rising tide is lifting all ships.

This thread reminded me that Escape weathered the 08-09 recession as a young company. As long as the owners keep the long game in view- using the current boom in sales to pay down expansion-related debt- they should be ready when the next downturn hits. Who knows... maybe they'll find a reason trot out those old 13' and 15' molds for another run...

They do seem to have found a sweet spot on size and price among a segment of retirees. The decision not to do a full molded interior was smart, allowing more frequent design changes and greater customization. All in all, they seem to understand their market.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:00 PM   #42

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
there is still a lot of money out there. I for one would never buy new but that is my way-good for those that like to live that way I suppose in the end it doesn't matter!

bob
There is a segment of the population who buy brand new RVs because the idea of staying in a motel or hotel where other people have been sleeping on the bed makes them feel physically ill. So does the idea of being in a condo, house, RV or a car that other people used to own. Especially in situations where you use the same bathroom, cook and sleep there. I am not that personality myself but I can easily understand why they would feel that way.

Of course it takes new RVs to create used RVs. So for those of us who buy used it really does matter that some people are like that and we should be very thankful that they want to buy new as they save us a lot of money.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:32 PM   #43

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
At this point in my life buying used has absolutely no appeal .
I bought hand me downs and other people's problems for most of my life ( 5 Kids and a at home spouse). Now if I decide to buy a trailer or vehicle it will be brand spanking new . I am glad others feel differently for purely selfish reasons , I need someone to sell my used crap to.
Motel room beds and public restrooms don't bother me in the least.
You can allow anything to upset , annoy , distract you if you try hard enough but I am to lazy and cheap to have phobias.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:32 PM   #44

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
We have attended 13 Bluebonnet Rallies and 13 PineKnot Rallies. All were no further than 300 miles from Rice, TX (home of Casita). Only 2 times has Casita sent representatives to attend with door prizes, tee shirts and caps, but no trailers. At each rally 80% of the trailers present were Casitas. Two years ago Tammy and Reace attended the Bluebonnet Rally with 2 new Escapes. They were 2,300 miles from home in B.C. We know 8 Escape owners who used to own Casitas. We know nobody that used to own an Escape and bought a Casita. Some factory owners are willing to go the extra mile.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:35 PM   #45

Name: Ken
Trailer: None
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
There is a segment of the population who buy brand new RVs because the idea of staying in a motel or hotel where other people have been sleeping on the bed makes them feel physically ill. So does the idea of being in a condo, house, RV or a car that other people used to own. Especially in situations where you use the same bathroom, cook and sleep there. I am not that personality myself but I can easily understand why they would feel that way.

Of course it takes new RVs to create used RVs. So for those of us who buy used it really does matter that some people are like that and we should be very thankful that they want to buy new as they save us a lot of money.

We do not get ill staying in hotels.
We did spend almost 4 1/2 thousand dollars taking care of a souvenir
we brought back from New York city. Bed Bugs, the gift that keeps on giving. We followed all the recommendations and still got them.
Apparently the ones in New York are resistant to almost any pesticide so they had to heat our house, steam all furniture and use lure traps.
We still use hotels but now everything we took with us goes in plastic bags with hot shot no pest strips for a few weeks. We were told that even kills the eggs.
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #46

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
If I had a hotel phobia I'd be out of a job in short order. I stayed at hotels on business about 175 nights this year alone.

I don't own a trailer because I dislike hotels, but because I love the outdoors, and love camping - and because my tent camping days (except for the occasional back country hunting or fishing trip with buddies) are behind me.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:55 PM   #47

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post

There is also a segment of the population that doesn’t maintain anything they own and another segment that abuses rather than uses anything they own. And there is a third segment that will lie about the condition of those items they are selling, and another segment that neither wants to inherit or fix someone else’s problems. Add to that new ideas and better or innovative components come on the market all the time, or a potential purchaser who cannot find what he/she wants. If I wanted a 19-foot Escape and the only thing I could find in a reasonable period of time was a 13-foot Scamp or 13 foot Escape, I personally wouldn’t buy the Scamp or smaller Escape at a bargain price; they could never be what I wanted. Nor would I buy a preowned Boston Whaler because I couldn’t find a preowned sailboat for sale. So I really don’t think that people who prefer to buy new are all a bunch of paranoids who cannot stomach the thought of sleeping, cooking, eating, or eliminating human wastes in the same place as a previous owner. There are far more reasons for buying new rather than preowned. Maybe I want a different color. Some customization, i.e., more outlets, no awning, a larger refrigerator. Most (I repeat, most) people who buy used trailers are motivated by one of two reasons. The first is money and the perception of a bargain; the second is that they have always wanted a specific trailer that is no longer manufactured and the only way to get one is preowned. I mean, Ford no longer makes the Edsel or the Pinto and Studebaker is no longer in business. And a few buy used because they want a project.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:26 PM   #48

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenton View Post
We do not get ill staying in hotels.
We did spend almost 4 1/2 thousand dollars taking care of a souvenir
we brought back from New York city. Bed Bugs, the gift that keeps on giving. We followed all the recommendations and still got them.
Apparently the ones in New York are resistant to almost any pesticide so they had to heat our house, steam all furniture and use lure traps.
We still use hotels but now everything we took with us goes in plastic bags with hot shot no pest strips for a few weeks. We were told that even kills the eggs.
When I was a child the adults used to say something that worked for me every night...

"Good night,
Sleep tight,
Hope the bed bugs don't bite"

That,along with that spray bottle of elephant repellent,
allowed me to sleep soundly, free from both.

Now that I have outgrown superstition, I have a 13Scamp...

We avoid the bed bugs and the elephants won't fit.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:35 PM   #49

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
At this point in my life buying used has absolutely no appeal .
I bought hand me downs and other people's problems for most of my life ( 5 Kids and a at home spouse). Now if I decide to buy a trailer or vehicle it will be brand spanking new . I am glad others feel differently for purely selfish reasons , I need someone to sell my used crap to.
Motel room beds and public restrooms don't bother me in the least.
You can allow anything to upset , annoy , distract you if you try hard enough but I am to lazy and cheap to have phobias.
Just the opposite here. I almost ALWAYS buy used. I avoid other people's problems, and I also avoid a ton of depreciation. In the case of molded trailers, I don't avoid much depreciation but I do avoid a nearly 12 month wait for a new one.

I bought antique furniture, back when the solid wood, well made stuff cost a lot less than the chip board, particle board new junk. Furniture that had already lasted 75 years, has lasted another close to 40 years for us.

My last new car was 1981. No help from me on buying used crap, I avoid that stuff.

Got bed bugs at a hotel three years ago. Went through a lot of hassle getting rid of that stuff. Most hotels are also anti-pet. We rarely travel without our dog, so staying in hotels is challenging at the least.

Thank goodness some people buy used, otherwise the landfills would be overflowing right now, even worse than they are already. As far as hand-me-downs, I grew up poor and I had a rich cousin that was a couple of years older than me. Thank goodness for hand-me-downs. His stuff was great, much nicer than anything my family could afford!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:14 PM   #50

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
When I was a child the adults used to say something that worked for me every night...

"Good night,
Sleep tight,
Hope the bed bugs don't bite".
My mom used to say that every night. She passed from cancer back in April. Thank you Floyd for bringing back a fond memory.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:44 PM   #51

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Now that I have outgrown superstition, I have a 13Scamp...
Hi Floyd, I’m sure you would agree with me that if you were looking for a preowned Scamp 13 and all that was available was a preowned Escape 19, then you would choose to buy “new” because the Scamp 13 is what you really want in the first place.

Also heard (many times) and like the bed bug jingle, but I cannot remember as a child ever worrying about elephants!
Old 12-21-2017, 08:16 PM   #52
Commercial Member

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
We have attended 13 Bluebonnet Rallies and 13 PineKnot Rallies. All were no further than 300 miles from Rice, TX (home of Casita). Only 2 times has Casita sent representatives to attend with door prizes, tee shirts and caps, but no trailers. At each rally 80% of the trailers present were Casitas. Two years ago Tammy and Reace attended the Bluebonnet Rally with 2 new Escapes. They were 2,300 miles from home in B.C. We know 8 Escape owners who used to own Casitas. We know nobody that used to own an Escape and bought a Casita. Some factory owners are willing to go the extra mile.

Agree completely!
brian m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:31 PM   #53

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
Very nice story. When I bought my Casita , I got what I paid for
and was promised. Good enough for me .
We used to own a Scamp and we have gone to many rallies in the Midwest . Never saw Kent Eveland at anyone of the rallies and personally I am not disappointed or the least bit upset .
Old 12-21-2017, 09:58 PM   #54

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Are you suggesting, Steve, that Escape would do better if they didn't attend rallies and accommodate customers?

Here's another word for your vocabulary:

obstreperous | əbˈstrɛp(ə)rəs | adjective noisy and difficult to control: the boy is cocky and obstreperous.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:21 PM   #55

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Are you suggesting, Steve, that Escape would do better if they didn't attend rallies and accommodate customers?

Here's another word for your vocabulary:

obstreperous | əbˈstrɛp(ə)rəs | adjective noisy and difficult to control: the boy is cocky and obstreperous.
I personally don't care what they choose to do or not to do , my opinion of them or their product is not altered by a free tee shirt or a coffee mug . We did not buy an Escape in 2013 for numerous reason , not getting a free coffee mug was not one of them , build quality was.

You may describe my opinion with any adjective you choose .
I've owned a Scamp and a Casita but feel free to express your honest opinion , I will not be insulted .
Being able to honestly state one's opinion is why I like this forum
and I am not hesitant to state mine.

Happy Holidays
Steve D
Old 12-21-2017, 10:36 PM   #56

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Very nice story. When I bought my Casita , I got what I paid for
and was promised. Good enough for me .
We used to own a Scamp and we have gone to many rallies in the Midwest . Never saw Kent Eveland at anyone of the rallies and personally I am not disappointed or the least bit upset .
Still don't understand your point.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:45 PM   #57

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Hi Floyd, I’m sure you would agree with me that if you were looking for a preowned Scamp 13 and all that was available was a preowned Escape 19, then you would choose to buy “new” because the Scamp 13 is what you really want in the first place.

Also heard (many times) and like the bed bug jingle, but I cannot remember as a child ever worrying about elephants!
Yep , even though Escape is a nice trailer, I can't go through the drive-up with one, or tow it with anything I want to drive... but that wasn't the point I was making!!

Just like you, I never worried about elephants... but that's just proof that the repellent worked.
One spray and they all ran off and joined the circus!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:08 AM   #58

Name: Ken
Trailer: None
Florida
Quote:
Yep , even though Escape is a nice trailer, I can't go through the drive-up with one, or tow it with anything I want to drive... but that wasn't the point I was making!!

Just like you, I never worried about elephants... but that's just proof that the repellent worked.
One spray and they all ran off and joined the circus!
I'm glad you did not see the elephant. That can have a dark meaning.
We went with an Escape 19 as it felt right to us. Not to small and not to large. And I can tow it with our small pickup. I did not want the 17 or 21 and the 5.0 TA would lock me into pickup trucks only.

If Casita made a 19 we would have looked at it and possibly bought one. Their 17 like Escapes and Scamps are smaller than we wanted.
The Scamp 19 like Escapes 5.0 TA is pickup truck only.
And the 21 like Oliver's larger trailers have floorplans we did not care for, and would have forced us if we owned the larger Bigfoot or Oliver into a full size truck. So for now and probably for the remainder of my trailering days we have what we want.

It's good there are lots of choices out there, that way we all can have what we want.
Kenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:41 AM   #59

Florida
Registry
Quote:
I personally don't care what they choose to do or not to do, my opinion of them or their product is not altered by a free tee shirt or a coffee mug . We did not buy an Escape in 2013 for numerous reason, not getting a free coffee mug was not one of them, build quality was.

You may describe my opinion with any adjective you choose.
Opinions are one thing. Everyone is entitled to their own. Implications are something else entirely. None of my buying decisions have ever been influenced by a free T shirt or coffee mug, nor do I think anyone on this forum is stupid enough to be influenced by free promotional materials. Nor have I ever been influenced by someone else’s stated opinions, although some people’s opinions carry more weight with me than the opinions of others, particularly those whose intent in stating their opinions have a demonstrated history of being questionable.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:38 AM   #60

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
shows

I have been in business all my life take my word for it those shows can rack up unbleiveable costs all going to your overhead. I respect the owners who chose to stay home and take care of their business.

I attempted this as a small owner and while you are away the mice will play so you lose on both ends. I have seen these activities ruin good businesses before long they are bankrupt or worse.

As far as I am concerned Scamper has the right idea put the money in their trailers keep the prices low to their market let all the others run their business they way they want!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape