Thinking of a 2013 Bigfoot 25B21FB - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #41

Name: Rob
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21FB
Oregon
Thanks David,
We looked hard at the 25 footer, but just could not make it fit into our garage. I too like the extra width. Our previous unit was a truck camper and we are looking forward to the extra space and quicker load up time that will come with this trailer. I am also looking forward to having my pickup bed available for storage. In anticipation, I have installed a hard tonneau cover and built an organizer rack to keep my frequently accessed things back by the tailgate. These include our folding chairs, BBQ, grey water disposal container, fresh water pail, and collapsible table. Now we are just waiting for delivery of the trailer......patiently......patiently......waiting ....waiting.....waiting....
By the way, what brake controller are you using? Any tips on using/adjusting controllers for best results are appreciated. I have not towed a trailer with trailer brakes before?
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17
Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by David and Nancy View Post
Rob
Welcome to Bigfoot membership. We have had a couple of 21RB's and now a 25RB. We have toured and admired the 21FB's several times-nice unit. Your F-350 should be great for towing this unit. I am still using my F-150 to tow the 25 since I really couldn't afford to buy a bigger truck when I got the bigger trailer. I know I should get at least an F-250 for the better suspension, but I am well under the F-150 towing capacity rating right now. I can't comment on the towing issues with the 21FB, but I mostly traveled with tanks empty on 21RB's to reduce weight. Much to my surprise the heavier 25' trailer produces the same fuel consumption as the 21. Wind resistance plays a bigger role than weight I have been told. We were also waiting to look at an Escape 21 when this Bigfoot 25 deal came along. But we probably would not have adjusted well to the narrower width of the Escape. When we first moved from a Casita to a Bigfoot, the extra width was the most appreciated feature. We hope you can make the Bigfoot rally in Cody, Wyoming this coming September. It's a great way to see all the great products Bigfoot has made over the years.
We have a knowledgeable friend who said he got the same mileage going from a 17 to 25 foot Bigfoot! Towed with a Titan. He also had some concerns about 21 footer and towing, but don't know if it was the front bed model only.
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:18 PM   #43

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft
Registry
I had read about the light front end on my 21 fb which I pulled with a Silverado 1500. The only time I ever noticed a problem was when I took it dry (ie no propane bottles and no battery) to have a battery pan installed below and behind the propane containers and also no water in it. After installing a dual battery set up and putting the propane containers and getting it ready for travel with water and other needs I never noticed a problem with swaying.

Adding 500 # weight was in my mind not necessary. The batteries I installed added some weight and the 32 gallon fresh water made this unnecessary. It was effected by a strong side wind which prompted me to put a sway bar and load distributing hitch. Never been a problem in my view.
jjtotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:42 PM   #44

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi all, can the 21 ft Bigfoot be pulled with my 06 Tacoma V6 4.0??? I am currently towing a 17 ft SD Casita with no troubles.
David L. C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:03 PM   #45

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David L. C. View Post
Hi all, can the 21 ft Bigfoot be pulled with my 06 Tacoma V6 4.0??? I am currently towing a 17 ft SD Casita with no troubles.
I think you will find that the Bigfoot 21 is a *lot* heavier than your 17' Casita - actually maybe close to double the weight so your little Tacoma would probable seriously struggle under the Bigfoots weight.
See the weights listed on the thread Trailer Weighs in the Real World to get an idea as to how much heavier.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:20 PM   #46

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks for the info, your right, I took the time to check the weights, wow, I would be more comfortable with a diesel tow rig for a bifgoot, maybe I will have to look at the 19 ft Escape instead, they are much lighter.
David L. C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:29 PM   #47

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft
Registry
Tacoma and 21 ft Bigfoot

I also had a 17 ft Casita which we pulled to Alaska and back it was a snap with our Silverado 1500. Later we sold the Casita and purchased a 21 foot Bigfoot which was about 5500 lbs or heaver loaded. After pulling it for a couple years with the 1500 we traded for a 2500 diesel. There was a world of difference. With the 1500 we got about 10 MPG which went to about 14 MPG with the diesel and there was never a problem with power after that. Since the 2500 was a lot heaver the wind was never a problem after that. The sway control and equilization hitch was not necessary either. Just hook up and go. I am afraid that the Tacoma would really be straining. There were times when the 1500 worked pretty hard on some of the hills in Wyoming.
jjtotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #48

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David L. C. View Post
Thanks for the info, your right, I took the time to check the weights, wow, I would be more comfortable with a diesel tow rig for a bifgoot, maybe I will have to look at the 19 ft Escape instead, they are much lighter.
Even with the 19' Escape your going to have to watch what you load in the trailer as well as the truck its self as a friend of mine discovered. Depending on the tow spec and GVWR of your Tacoma & the options you get on the trailer, it can easily struggle with the 19' as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #49

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Even with the 19' Escape your going to have to watch what you load in the trailer as well as the truck its self as a friend of mine discovered. Depending on the tow spec and GVWR of your Tacoma & the options you get on the trailer, it can easily struggle with the 19' as well.
With the Tacoma V6 4.0L, your tow rating should be about 6500 lb and you should have very few issues towing an Escape 19'. Just leave the load of bricks at home.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot