Mission Accomplished - Scamp is Home! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2014, 07:57 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Mission Accomplished - Scamp is Home!

We did it! On Sunday the 3rd of Aug we went to Backus, MN to pick up our new Scamp 13 Std. We stayed in a cabin at nearby Ruttgers Pine Lake Sunday night in order to be at the Scamp plant bright and early Monday morning. We were so excited; we hardly slept.

I won't bore you with all the details, but we were impressed with the thorough briefing and the Scamp staffs eagerness to make sure all our questions were answered and everything was in good order before we left. I was pleasantly surprised to see the brake controller and 7-pin connecter worked perfectly.

Our first tow was the 2 or 3 miles back to the campground, and our new site on the lake. I backed in fine, but the short little trailer was definitely touchier than the boat trailers and tanker trucks I've driven in the past. We tried everything we could think of making sure we'd be close to Scamp if anything went wrong; but the little trailer performed flawlessly! The dogs took to it like a duck to water. They were loving' it.

Our first reaction was whoa! This thing is small! We had a Subaru full of junk to stow. Some never did fit. We pared our pile down considerably since then. I'm not telling you guys anything new, but it's all about organization, isn't it? We get it.

We stayed at Ruttgers for two days and the on to Pine View CG at Ft McCoy, WI. I spent a few years there and wanted my wife to see it. What a surprise! The CG was great! Very scenic, and every amenity you could ask for. We had hookups we couldn't even use for $25 a night. Joanne was impressed. The whole atmosphere put me in an even better mood if that is possible. How I missed the sound of UH-60's flying by, artillery rounds and the countless bugle calls on nearby loud speakers.

After 2 days at McCoy we had to leave, but the last night was our best ever. We split a bottle of Chardonnay, and watched the campfire until it was just embers. We felt closer than we have in years! We also named the Scamp. It's officially the "Old Soldier's Home".

Last Friday we left for home and all we could talk about was the little Scamp and our next trip. We couldn't be happier with our new lil' home away from home!

I'm going to try to load some pictures now. Keep your fingers crossed.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:10 PM   #2

Michigan
Leaving the factory and a few shots of the interior.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00398.jpg   DSC00403.jpg  

DSC00405.jpg   DSC00409.jpg  

Old 08-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #3

Michigan
With the 54" bed you get a narrow closet. In fact Scamp calls it a "Pantry". Notice Piper looking it over for the first time. Joanne calls the kitchen her "Barbie Kitchen". We really like the look of the new for '14 cherry wood finish. Goes good with the blue cushions, we think.

Tom
Old 08-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Congratulations on finding not only your dream camper, but on building memories to cherish.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
How totally cool for YOU! Make a ton of memories everytime you go out.

Safe travels, always
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:26 PM   #6

Name: Nate
Trailer: 1981 Casita 13. TV: 2011 Honda CR-V
Wisconsin
Registry
Nice! Great to see the pics of a long bed version like that! Congrats!
Nate R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #7

Michigan
A few more pics... Our "big" bed, camp at Ruttgers, and Ft McCoy CG.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00412.jpg   DSC00416.jpg  

DSC00418.jpg  
Old 08-11-2014, 08:28 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
You should take it back they hung the spare tire crooked. ;-) i hope the dogs like the new dog house. Mine did, but didn't get the doggie door option. They really like the height of the fridge. I'm glad your first trip wen't well.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:42 PM   #9

Michigan
Thanks all! We couldn't be happier, even with the crooked tire. My wife pointed out I didn't include a picture of the dinette set up. I'll look for one. She's also glad I didn't include the one by the fire with her holding up an empty wine bottle for her friends at work.

We keep going out to look at her in the driveway, pinching each other to make sure we're not dreaming.

Tom
Old 08-11-2014, 08:49 PM   #10

Michigan
Small table for the dinette, and a better picture of the bed. The bed is plenty big for us and the two fur kids, but it seems rock hard. We already bought a 3" mattress topper for the next trip. Way better!

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00407.jpg   DSC00411.jpg  

Old 08-11-2014, 11:23 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Congrats Tom and I love the name you decided on.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:31 AM   #12

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Congrats Tom and I love the name you decided on.
Thanks Dave. When I joined the Army in '68 we made $102 per month ($87 after taxes). After we went through the pay line, we had to go through one more line. One of the cadre was sitting at a field desk with a "donation" can and two lists. He let us know we could contribute to the Old Soldiers Home and sign one list, or not contribute and sign the other list. He hinted that the non- contributor list was what they used to make K.P. and other duty rosters for the month. We thought the whole thing was a scam, and the Drill Instructors were probably pocketing the money. Still we gave.

Almost 40 years later we came upon an great big home along the Gulfport, MS seashore. It was an "Old Soldiers Home". It had a long porch facing the Gulf. My fellow Soldiers and I promptly staked out in our mind where we wanted to put our rocking chairs when the time came for residence there. Shortly after that Katrina hit the area hard and wiped out many of the buildings. I haven't been back to check on the O.S.H., but hope it's still there. Our Scamp 13 is our "Back-up Plan"

Tom
Old 08-12-2014, 05:08 AM   #13

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
What a sweet story! I was excited and happy for you to read it. Wishing you many more happy times!

Wendy

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:48 AM   #14

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Congratulations Tom on the "Old Soldier's Home". Love the pictures. So glad things went better than planned.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:22 PM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Thanks Dave. When I joined the Army in '68 we made $102 per month ($87 after taxes). After we went through the pay line, we had to go through one more line. One of the cadre was sitting at a field desk with a "donation" can and two lists.
Tom
Good story Tom. I joined the AF in '72 and think we made around $300.00 a month. Didn't have the donation can but after I sent a money order home to my soon to be wife and I was left with $47.00 for the month. Years later when she became my ex she got the donation can... as in the house
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Congratulations, Tom!

I like the new cabinet finish, too. Very clean appearance. Was that an upgrade, or has Scamp actually made a change across the board? If so, that's newsworthy!

Many happy travels!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:53 PM   #17

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Dadgum but that is one shiny Scamp! Congratulations, color me green with envy for your wide(r) bed.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Florida
Tom,

Great to read about how you enjoyed your first nights. We're all very happy for you. wishing you many more nights of camping bliss.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:38 PM   #19

Michigan
Thanks guys for all the encouragement and good wishes. That means a lot to us. It has been a long, long journey. I learned so much from all the posts read here over the years, and now it feels like the forum members are the support staff to help us get the most enjoyment, and overcome small hurdles we'll encounter with the trailers.

We're organizing the storage, adding the padding to the bed, LEDs on order, and going to do a TV/DVD install when the Amazon shipments arrive. Getting ready for the next trip to the Algonac Rally in 3 weeks. No major mods planned because we had it made to fill our needs.

As far as I know, the cherry wood cabinets and woodwork are the only colors the standard model is offered in. The "wood" doors are still the chipboard that the others I've seen are, just a different color and grain pattern. I do like it, maybe just because it's different. The website doesn't reflect it, nor does the Scamp brochures, but the change has been in effect since at least January, when we went to Backus to see the Scamps in person.

I mentioned changing the lights to LED. That was going to happen anyway, but the process was fast tracked when my wife put bread, and hot dog buns in the cabinet over the sink. We used the light for a while and the heat almost toasted the buns. We laughed, because we were just talking about getting one of those folding wire toasters. I'm changing all 6 lights when they come in, as well as the 2 porch lights.

The TV install is for rainy days. We just had our first hard rain in two weeks last night. We both got up and ran out to the trailer to see what it sounded like from inside the camper. Didn't have to say a word, we both got the idea at the same time. After 43 years together, we joke that we share one good brain between us.

Tom
Old 08-12-2014, 08:01 PM   #20

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Wonderful, looks like you got all the options and so shiny! Have fun camping.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp