Border opening, maybe - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 06:22 AM   #81

Name: Ed
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RT
Colorado
“What’s that scar on your arm, grandma?”
“That’s the scar left from my smallpox vaccination “
“Why don’t I have one?”
“Because the vaccine worked”, grandma replied.

Herd immunity. With your help it can work.
Old 07-24-2021, 07:16 AM   #82

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Scars

Mine has just about all but faded away, just
Like my memory and a couple other things.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-24-2021, 10:30 AM   #83

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Mine has just about all but faded away, just
Like my memory and a couple other things.
Iowa Dave
Your memory has hardly faded Dave, all these stories you relate on the boards shows you really still have it!

Just a heads up for those Americans planning to head to the Niagara Wine Escape and that's to allow yourself plenty of time to get into Canada. Our daughter and kids drove from Kansas last week and spent 45 minutes getting into Canada as they arrived behind two other vehicles. They likely could have spent longer but our daughter thinks that since her five month old was screaming (after 14 hours in the van) they let them go ahead of someone else for the arrival covid test.

Now I know that the test on arrival will not be required after Aug. 9 but you may still be randomly selected to have one on arrival. You may get stuck behind someone who has not updated their ArriveCAN app to show their test results which will mean longer processing for them and further delay you. A reminder that that test must be taken no more than exactly 72 hours from your arrival in Canada unlike the US which allows three days, i.e. test on Tuesday morning still good until 11:59pm Friday. A family arrived at our border crossing here in town some months ago only a couple of hours late and each member was fined $2000.
Old 07-24-2021, 04:21 PM   #84

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
This thread is like Joni Mitchell's "The circle game"
Old 07-25-2021, 06:41 AM   #85

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
We are taking the chance to cross to Canada and have signed up for the Niagara Wine Fest. We have not been able to go since it began, since I taught, but I retired last year. My bucket list trip has to see the Chapin (Harry) family concert at Natural Ovens Campground in Nova Scotia, owned by Harry's brother, Steve, in August, but the campground did not even say that they were waiting for Trudeau administration decisions. They punted us to next year and gave us yet another day in that beautiful campground. This trip kind of makes up for that trip being postponed yet again.

I briefly panicked when the US made that inexplicable decision not to follow the Canadian lead. I thought we might not be able to return after the US decision, but Reuters published an article that indicated that you can return if you go to Canada.

So, hopefully we made the right decision. I wanted to kind of make up for the stuff we missed in May and June (part of Roy's Fish Fry, 4 Bs, and Eggs A La Bourbon) due to my knee, which is doing really well now. Just finished a Lectric bike ride and loaded them into the pickup for a week in Door County.

And in any case, the night of the Chapin Concert is now the due date of our soon-to-be baby grandson. Our daughter and son-in-law took us all by surprise. We all thought that they enjoyed their lifestyle without children too much. I hope Junior enjoys Las Vegas or the other grandma is willing to go along and babysit Junior. We do not like Las Vegas, LOL!

Thank you, Canada. I hope you can join us in this country in the future.

CindyL
We did not get the vaccines in Canada as soon, but our fully vaccinated rate is higher now than the US. Most Canadians want to be vaccinated. The number of fully vaccinated is growing fast.

We worry about those from problems areas of the US and Canada coming to our area as those under 12 years old are not vaccinated.

In the area of Ontario I live we have had the lowest rate till recently. Problem: areas south of us have improved and they are heading north. Result is our covid-19 numbers have gone up. Grey and Bruce even had a day hit 170 and 2 of those were in our city. The one day numbers are going down now though.

Lets all get vaccinated and play safe; remember when we get vaccinated we help protect those that can not or choose not to get vaccinated.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:54 AM   #86

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Well said

[QUOTE=IMEd;820439]“What’s that scar on your arm, grandma?”
“That’s the scar left from my smallpox vaccination “
“Why don’t I have one?”
“Because the vaccine worked”, grandma replied.

Herd immunity. With your help it can work.[/QUOTE)
Old 07-25-2021, 08:31 AM   #87

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
No chance of herd immunity where I live as the vaccine rate has stalled out at 46%.... County to our west is even worse at 39%.

Now if someone can report on successful border crossing, that would be great. Planning on Nova Scotia trip.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:41 PM   #88

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
We did not get the vaccines in Canada as soon, but our fully vaccinated rate is higher now than the US. Most Canadians want to be vaccinated. The number of fully vaccinated is growing fast.

We worry about those from problems areas of the US and Canada coming to our area as those under 12 years old are not vaccinated.

In the area of Ontario I live we have had the lowest rate till recently. Problem: areas south of us have improved and they are heading north. Result is our covid-19 numbers have gone up. Grey and Bruce even had a day hit 170 and 2 of those were in our city. The one day numbers are going down now though.

Lets all get vaccinated and play safe; remember when we get vaccinated we help protect those that can not or choose not to get vaccinated.
We were vaccinated as soon as we could be. I am so nervous for my daughter though; she is expecting in August, and her doctor is old school and did not want her vaccinated. She plans to get this done this week or next. She is not coming to Canada with us. She is not an anti-vaxxer. Her husband got one as soon as he could. She is just being cautious. It is hard as a well-read Mom sending links to counter-act a doctor.

CindyL
Old 07-25-2021, 03:16 PM   #89

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Somebody had to graduate at the bottom of their class.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:14 PM   #90

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
... I am so nervous for my daughter though; she is expecting in August, and her doctor ... did not want her vaccinated. ...
While I believe that almost everyone who can get the COVID-19 vaccine should do so, there are some situations when it is more debatable.. and pregnancy is one of them. If my daughter were pregnant I would first tell her to follow her doctors instructions, and then I would tell her to practice social distancing like it has never been practiced before. In fact, social isolation is the better term. I would encourage her to have no interactions with anyone until the baby came, unless that interaction was very impractical or impossible. No grocery shopping... have someone else do it or get delivery. No extended family family visits... etc. It would be hard.. but temporary.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:22 AM   #91

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
In fact, social isolation is the better term. I would encourage her to have no interactions with anyone until the baby came, unless that interaction was very impractical or impossible. No grocery shopping... have someone else do it or get delivery. No extended family family visits... etc. It would be hard.. but temporary.
That is what my younger brother and I did with our 86 year old dad. My younger brother did all the grocery shopping for the 2 of us and my dad and I stayed isolated. I was isolating so if my younger brother caught Covid I could take over. He did catch it despite wearing a mask all the time and taking all the precautions when outside (he lives in an apartment building so we think he caught it there). He had a mild case which caused me to have to get groceries for 3 weeks. My younger brother, despite having had Covid, got the vaccine as soon as he could. My dad and I were isolated for about 15 months. We went into self-isolation on Friday, March 13th 2020 since we had been at the DMV right after someone else who tested positive. This was at the beginning when we didn't know too much about how Covid behaved.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:51 AM   #92

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
As of Friday, all of my immediate family have all our vaccine shots, all seven of us. My arm still hurts, but no other effects, though I have not tested my magnetism yet. Maybe that only sets in after two weeks. I am looking forward to being more popular.

I have a daughter that works in a Vancouver homeless shelter for the COVID positive. She was completely vaccinated early on. Thanks to the relaxed COVIS protocols, she paid a surprise visit this weekend. It was nice to see all my spawn for the first time in over a year. They are now 26, 23, 23, 17 and 14. The 26 year old has already had COVID. Thankfully it was a mild case.

My wife has a friend who is struggling with long COVID. She was the kind of person that would regularly go on long hikes. Now she struggles to walk around the block.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:57 AM   #93

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
As of Friday, all of my immediate family have all our vaccine shots, all seven of us. My arm still hurts, but no other effects, though I have not tested my magnetism yet. Maybe that only sets in after two weeks. I am looking forward to being more popular.....
Try the coin test (does a coin slide off your arm)... a neighbor of mine posted a video of the coin sticking to vaccinated grandmother's arm, but not to her unvaccinated arm. I told her the video was a good demonstration of the coefficient of friction. She thought I meant coefficient of fiction since it proved (to her) the fiction of the immunization. God help us.

BTW, more than 50% of my family did have a little fever and body aches the day after the second does. I didn't feel like doing much that day but I was glad to see my immune system kicking in.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:05 PM   #94

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
My arm still hurts, but no other effects, though I have not tested my magnetism yet. Maybe that only sets in after two weeks. I am looking forward to being more popular.
You started showing up on the GPS tracking map a day ago, so I think you're fully "vaccinated" and ready for release into the wild.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:43 PM   #95

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
No chance of herd immunity where I live as the vaccine rate has stalled out at 46%.... County to our west is even worse at 39%.

Now if someone can report on successful border crossing, that would be great. Planning on Nova Scotia trip.
Don't loose heart, herd immunity is not strictly a function of vaccination.
Normally, herd immunity occurs naturally and is the result of a large percentage of the population being exposed to a pathogen and developing antibodies, whether the exposed individual develops the disease or not.

Vaccines can accelerate attainment of herd immunity by developing antibodies in individuals who are inoculated, often without illness.
Vaccines can be very beneficial, but they are only a single important factor of several which contribute to herd immunity.
Fact is, a little research of the local epidemiology may reveal that herd immunity has already occurred in your region.

An effective vaccine, however, will provide immunity to individuals who receive it, thereby rendering herd immunity a non-issue as far as the probability of personally contracting the disease.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:40 PM   #96

New Hampshire
The Delta variant is very different than the original virus in two ways. The first is that the natural antibodies you developed if you had a case of the original variant are not very effective at preventing Delta from infecting you. That is why many places that had an initial surge of Covid and then had it fade out naturally are once again getting a large surge of Delta. So far the Vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson and Astra Zeneca) have proven very effective at preventing infection with Delta and preventing severe disease in breakthrough infections. Not as good as how they performed against the original strain by a mere 5 percentage points. Second, the R-value, which is a measurement of how many infections can be spread from one person, for the original Covid strain is 1 to 3. The R-value for Delta is 5 to 8, more than twice the rate of the original strain.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:58 AM   #97

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
The Delta variant is very different than the original virus in two ways. The first is that the natural antibodies you developed if you had a case of the original variant are not very effective at preventing Delta from infecting you. That is why many places that had an initial surge of Covid and then had it fade out naturally are once again getting a large surge of Delta. So far the Vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson and Astra Zeneca) have proven very effective at preventing infection with Delta and preventing severe disease in breakthrough infections. Not as good as how they performed against the original strain by a mere 5 percentage points. Second, the R-value, which is a measurement of how many infections can be spread from one person, for the original Covid strain is 1 to 3. The R-value for Delta is 5 to 8, more than twice the rate of the original strain.

I am curious where you obtained this information. Particularly about natural immunity from prior infection.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:33 AM   #98

New Hampshire
https://theconversation.com/covid-st...ll-work-164351

https://www.sciencealert.com/an-immu...more-important
Old 07-27-2021, 08:49 AM   #99

New Hampshire
There is a difference between timidity and prudence. If it were timidity, I would never leave the house, take a shower or go up and down stairs since your best odds of being killed in an accident are driving within a mile of your home, slipping in the tub and falling down stairs. These are all risks I choose to take since I have no choice. But I do take steps to mitigate those risks to the extent I am able. On the other hand, I won't jump out of a perfectly good airplane with a parachute. Prudence tells me to not take a risk I don't have to if the gain is not worth it. When it comes to Covid, I prefer not to take risks because it will not just affect me but possibly everyone around me including the elderly (dad is 86), people with pre-existing conditions (my friend with severe COPD) or children (my great-nephew). As a matter of fact, I have started wearing my mask again when out and about since I do follow the science and that is what most epidemiologists and pediatricians are recommending for vaccinated people.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:48 AM   #100

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
People have a lot of opinions on what should be or is the case in regards to this pandemic.

Please take a moment to consider before posting if this is FGRV related. Does it directly address the original post? Or is this post simply sharing my opinions on issues of the day or society in general? Does the motivation for the post come from proving someone else wrong in the "court" of public opinion?

Links to sources of factual information that can help others assess things related to trailer tires and campground amenities are good things. Opinion pieces on topics of the day have a place but much less so if they don't relate to topics the majority of members come here for. No one comes here to form an opinion on whom to vote for, what position to take on the politics or issues of the day, or be told what they should believe or not believe.

This site exists to help support the FGRV community. People coming here have all sorts of backgrounds, perspectives, or attitudes. Recall that old one about one doesn't discuss politics, religion, or sex in public with people one doesn't know well? More we stick to that in our posts here the better we will support the site as a place for anyone and everyone to come to discuss FGRV and camping.

Exceptions might be made for people who a running their FGRV for public office, worship the great egg, or having relations with their FGRV. :-D
Closed Thread