Camping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 07:27 AM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Mississippi
Camping

Well thanks to Covid-19 all our camping trips were canceled through may. It's a minor inconvenience all things being considered. However I do like staying in the camper with my wife. After a few beverages that most adults enjoy I came to the conclusion that we can still stay in the camper. It's under cover here at the house shore power and water available we can even open the awning under our storage area. One benefit is we usually don't travel with a pet. Here at home Suzy, a very lively blue heeler is right there for my benefit and enjoyment. May sound crazy but it is a welcome break from the norm.

Not quite the same as being somewhere else but we both enjoy the closer quarters of the camper. Now if we could just convince some nosey neighbors we are on a camping trip it would be even better, after all one of the reasons we camp is to get away!

Remember when life gives you lemons just mix the lemon juice with a little coconut rum. After a few drinks the lemons will be gone and your left with a smile.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:49 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We own 20 acres of woodland about 2 miles from our home
There may come a time that just for a change of scenery we may set up a campsite on our property and pretend we are on one of our planned Summer camping trips
Lately when I read this forum , I keep hearing the sound of dog whistles in the distance
They always seem to emanate from the same general direction .
Old 04-05-2020, 09:58 AM   #3

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
I get my exercise by walking 4 laps around the yard each day. Find this eliminates my night-time charlie horse issues. The trailer has become an emergency man cave but will not be towing it anywhere soon. It is not true that the neighbors reported any primal screaming from in there. Have been talking to my dog a lot. Otherwise, binge watching Ray Donovan on Netflix. Seems appropriate given these dark times.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We own 20 acres of woodland about 2 miles from our home
There may come a time that just for a change of scenery we may set up a campsite on our property and pretend we are on one of our planned Summer camping trips
Lately when I read this forum , I keep hearing the sound of dog whistles in the distance
They always seem to emanate from the same general direction .
Not all that distant either.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:59 AM   #5

Trailer: Casita 17 SD - sold - Lance 1475
Tennessee
We're on a hundred acres in the TN mountains. We just might do that.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:21 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Following up on Jim's comment, I was able to store my Oliver in the garage and we spent a number of very nice evenings having a "movie night" out in the garage, in Ollie.

Maybe it would be a good idea to make a large backdrop and hang it up outside the trailer window. Then we could be anywhere we wanted to be. One of those fake fireplaces that have the little flapping paper and an orange light inside, would be a nice way to feel warm as we gaze out the window. I suppose we could even turn on the sprinkler for a bit of rain.

This is sounding better all the time!

One of the things I've noticed in the last few years is that after moving out of the city and building my dream home and shop, I really don't "need" to get away from anything. Traveling and camping offer variety, but not a get-away to retain my sanity. Our lovely little terrier, Gogo, who is always with us, is just as happy here at home as out on the road.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:02 PM   #7

Name: R.R.
Trailer: Escape 21
California
Interesting to see under Wisconsin's safer-at home order, outdoor activity is considered essential. State parks are open and free.
https://www.wuwm.com/post/wisconsin-...demic#stream/0

Meanwhile in California, people get arrested or ticketed doing the same thing.
https://fox5sandiego.com/news/corona...at-home-order/

https://fox5sandiego.com/news/local-...at-home-order/

To those who who want the Feds to mandate all 50 states have at-home shelter in places- you might want to think again. Personally I like local control. Here in my county- even though all State Parks were ordered closed at least one popular one is open because of the rather easy ability to maintain social distancing.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:08 PM   #8

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osos1 View Post

To those who who want the Feds to mandate all 50 states have at-home shelter in places- you might want to think again. Personally I like local control. Here in my county- even though all State Parks were ordered closed at least one popular one is open because of the rather easy ability to maintain social distancing.
Unfortunately, as with most things, not everyone is operating in the best interest of others.

Local control, or the lack thereof, means some beaches remain crowded, churches fill up on Sunday, etc. Then those folks take it back to their families, or co-workers or neighbors. And many of them use the excuse that they don't believe it's dangerous. Or the threat was invented. "Local" control, also means no control.

Either we all play, or we all lose. Unfortunately, it's now pretty much too late to contain it. As we argue about personal freedoms and responsibility to others, it spreads.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:24 PM   #9

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I feel pretty lucky to live where I am. Although I decided to live here, so it's not lucky, really.

The county I'm in is ~5,500 square miles. Almost 70% of that is public land. There are less than 10,000 people in the entire county. It's really easy to get out on trails and not be anywhere near anyone else. I'm out for a nice long hike every day.

I have my camper in the driveway and I've thought of hanging out in it, just for a change. But it hasn't happened yet. As soon as the restrictions start lifting, I'll be moving back into it for the summer, so I guess I'm not in a huge hurry.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:23 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 17 SD - sold - Lance 1475
Tennessee
Local control is kind of like a designated area to pee in a swimming pool.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:41 PM   #11

Name: R.R.
Trailer: Escape 21
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Unfortunately, as with most things, not everyone is operating in the best interest of others.

Local control, or the lack thereof, means some beaches remain crowded, churches fill up on Sunday, etc. Then those folks take it back to their families, or co-workers or neighbors. And many of them use the excuse that they don't believe it's dangerous. Or the threat was invented. "Local" control, also means no control.

Either we all play, or we all lose. Unfortunately, it's now pretty much too late to contain it. As we argue about personal freedoms and responsibility to others, it spreads.
So should Wisconsin close all the State Parks?
Old 04-05-2020, 05:59 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
So should Wisconsin close all the State Parks?
Since neither you or Raspy are residents of Wisconsin , the question is not yours to answer
I am a resident of Wisconsin and in my estimation local control under these circumstances only leads to a hodgepodge of rules , confusion and non compliance .
This is a pandemic not a meaningless discussion in a political science or civics class
We’ve both made it clear which end of the political spectrum we call home so let’s both of us quit playing the game and call it a draw !
Old 04-05-2020, 07:04 PM   #13

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Repeat- should Wisconsin close the State Parks they have deemed essential to be open? This isn't political Steve despite your insistence that is is for some reason.
"Dude",

"Essential" business are partly determined by who has influence and in what way. For instance Golf courses are considered Essential, gun shops are considered essential, Liquor stores, home construction, and others. Are those essential? Pharmacies, grocery stores, gas stations, the Post Office, banks, yes. Parks and beaches?

People should be respectful of the safety of others and not just interested in how they can get around that responsibility. Closing parks does not stop people from being irresponsible, and asking them to be responsible causes an indignant response from those who think common sense doesn't apply to them. Or that they are "special". Or that the lives they are risking mean nothing. This pandemic shows that in sharp relief.

People should be staying home unless they have some essential reason to be out.
Camping and partying, and all of the things that go along with it, like shopping and interacting in person, are not essential. I would expect teenagers on Spring Break to not get it, but others, should be able to understand how this all works and how we might best slow the virus down. I have a lot of things I'd rather be doing than sitting at home, and it infuriates me to see others flaunting the recommendations because they consider themselves exempt. Or they have to prove they will not be told what to do, or because a leader told them it was all going to go away on its own real soon, etc.

So yes, close the parks and the beaches. Advertising that they are still open means the official policy is "come on down and hang out with your friends", "there is no danger", "you don't have to be careful", "you don't need to do what the experts recommend", etc. We have enough of that related to full churches.

We are all used to operating hours, rules and regulations at beaches and parks. Rules that are enforced by rangers, etc. Is it really such an affront, or a stretch, to close them for a month and see if we can't encourage reduced interaction, when all of the experts are encouraging us to practice better behavior? Or is this really just a big free-for-all where anything goes? How much would you allow someone to deliberately endanger the lives of your family, in ways other than a contagious virus that kills or causes extreme discomfort, without doing something?
Old 04-06-2020, 07:03 AM   #14

Mississippi
camping

Wow this post was about camping in our camper at home! Now I know Wuhan virus, Wuhan flu are both politically incorrect terms for Covid-19. WOW
Old 04-06-2020, 07:28 AM   #15

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimiller5 View Post
Local control is kind of like a designated area to pee in a swimming pool.
Post of the week
Old 04-06-2020, 07:35 AM   #16

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy2 View Post
Wow this post was about camping in our camper at home! Now I know Wuhan virus, Wuhan flu are both politically incorrect terms for Covid-19. WOW
???? Maybe I missed it but I don't see either of those previously used in this thread.????
Old 04-06-2020, 07:49 AM   #17

Mississippi
camping

In my original post about camping I used the term Wuhan v!#$s. I assume it was edited to read Covid-19.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:51 AM   #18

Mississippi
camping

I agree with the post of the week! My swimming pool is a creek so if you pee in the pool it's ok!
Old 04-06-2020, 08:27 AM   #19

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy2 View Post
In my original post about camping I used the term Wuhan v!#$s. I assume it was edited to read Covid-19.

I bet that if you just say Virus that everyone will know what you mean?
Old 04-06-2020, 08:52 AM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
As a matter of principle, laws and regulations in the US should be least intrusive on individual rights as possible. Yet we have people living in the big city who are shouting loudly that those who live in the boondocks should be restricted just as much as the city dwellers, just in case it might benefit the city dwellers at some point. The city dwellers think they have the right to impose their standards on everyone and insist that all should be required to lose the freedoms they (the city folk) have willingly surrendered.

As I have said elsewhere, one size does not fit all. It's a large country with differing circumstances.
Closed Thread