Covid 19 discussion zone - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 04:31 PM   #21

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
My rant !!!!!

A good friend died Dec. 29 he went into hospital Dec 22 posted on facebook Dec. 23 that he was feeling much better, on Dec. 24 he went on a ventilator and pasted Dec 29 . My wife's cousins husband after the first vaccine April 8 th had covid around April April 12 after 4-5 days at home was admitted to hospital 52 days then another 38 days in rehab 90 days total.

Last week I spoke to a lady her daughter around 25-30 had covid in the spring she thought she was going to die never had ever experienced anything like this in her life, today she is still not 100%. These are cases I am personally aware of. I really don't know how to tell people this is not something you want. There is a vaccine that can help not perfect but close every one should take it, no politics here just thinking science. This not about rights its about doing what you can to protect yourself.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:04 PM   #22
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
When this started the debate was about masks. My thought was that if a mask would somehow help the effort and save lives, it was the least I could do.

Now the debate is about getting vaccinated. My thought is that we all have people in our lives who we would die for. The great fear is that the virus will mutate to a vaccine resistance form. If that happens, how many would die? How many loved ones? If you'd die to save them then the risk of the vaccine is mute.
Old 08-31-2021, 06:05 PM   #23

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Our elderly, dear housekeeper told us she would gladly wear a mask the next time she came to clean the house but said her family did not want her to get vaccinated.

I told her if she refused to get the shots that was her choice. But then -just a mask would not do it for me. - Said, until she got the vaccine I would not allow her in my house.
Old 08-31-2021, 06:39 PM   #24

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Bill Maher (American stand-up comedian and television host) does not want to get a COVID-19 booster shot, and the only reason he got vaccinated was to "take one for the team," he said.
"I mean, I don't want a booster. I never wanted the vaccine. I took one for the team ... But every eight months, you're going to put this **** in me?... I don't know about that... Maybe I don't need one, I don't want a one-size-fits-all. My body may be different than your body."
But how much do you want to bet that he gets a flu shot every year? And why? Because people who know a **** load more than he does about this **** they put in his body know that its the best thing to do to avoid a potentially deadly illness. Thats why I get a flu shot every year. I'm none too happy about getting a booster after only eight months because if enough people took one for the team then the team would be winning now. But the team is not winning, so it looks like a booster, and maybe another one in 8-12 months, etc.

How people like him can twist science like this is beyond my understanding. Perhaps he is playing for the entertainment value. But many people on the liberal end of the spectrum will listen closely to what he says.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:07 PM   #25

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Masked marauder!!!

Hi: All... Who would have thought there'd be a time when you'd have to wear a mask to go to the bank?
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 08-31-2021, 07:10 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I still watch Bill Maher, but with increasing annoyance. When a comedian becomes a preacher, I bow out.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:38 PM   #27

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Not to diminish the degree to which we face a real threat,but....

As long as there is human life there will be a "great fear" to contend with and various experts with various solutions...
Once it was nuclear annihilation and the experts gave us "duck and cover" to keep us safe. At seven years of age I went along with trusting obedience, figuring... what the heck? it can't hurt?
Besides, all the authority figures seemed to believe it would work, and, if it didn't... who would complain??

I did get to count all the gum stuck under my desk which gave me something to do to alleviate all that fear I was supposed to feel.

I guess the point is....
Keep it light, fear doesn't enhance safety.
So if it calms your heart, go along cheerfully with the program, at least as far as you can believe that the program isn't more dangerous than the perceived threat.

As the primitive who called the "witch doctor"said...
"At least we can relax now, knowing we've done all we could do."

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...eb&action=view
Old 08-31-2021, 07:50 PM   #28

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: All... Who would have thought there'd be a time when you'd have to wear a mask to go to the bank?
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
See, humor has its place!
Old 08-31-2021, 09:15 PM   #29

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have to admit that when I put on the mask, it seems a gun would complete the outfit.

To quote Serenity, (Firefly), "Shiny, let's be bad guys."
Old 08-31-2021, 09:33 PM   #30

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I have to admit that when I put on the mask, it seems a gun would complete the outfit.

that was a great series
Old 09-01-2021, 08:36 AM   #31

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post

Most excellent entertainment. Often makes it into the top 10 of series that were cancelled too soon. I'm glad they made the movie Serenity so the whole thing got sort of sorted to a conclusion.

I'm thinking the boosters may become less necessary, or at least less frequent IF enough of the population get the vaccination. That is just my own guess.

We get annual flu vaccinations because there are different variations and I guess mutations each year so getting the shot is intended to protect against the varieties expected to be most prevalent. If covid doesn't have as many chances to mutate it might mean vaccination remains effective protection for longer period. Or that the booster can be specific to the currently prevalent strain. Over time building a broad spectrum of immunity.

If the vaccine was specific to the Delta variant would it require a booster to protect against that variant? Or is the booster advisable because the vaccine has reduced effectiveness against the new variant it wasn't designed against? If over a few years people have been vaccinated via boosters against several of the common variants might that mean a broader resistance than we have with the vaccine designed against a single variant making booster to keep us at peak in order to protect as well as possible against Delta.

It will take time to determine how frequent any booster will need to be in general use as opposed to during a pandemic when exposure opportunities abound and the number of cases present more opportunity for a variant to develop that the current vaccination is less effective against or in a worst case isn't able to protect against.

I wear a mask because I figure it may help slow the spread. It may encourage community to see itself as all in this together doing what we can. People wear flag lapel pins or have flag bumper stickers, I see masks as a practical version of the same type of symbolic patriotism. A view I'm afraid is not universal. With some viewing the not wearing of masks to be their symbol.

I wish people would wear them over their nose so they would be a great deal more effective. But then I figure they know that. Not much different than people know they should use their turn signals when driving but often seem to choose not to. Or use them ineffectively at the last second as they are changing lanes or turning.

If the booster makes it less likely that I bring a really unpleasant and potentially fatal disease into the lives of people I care about then I'm good with that. My not getting sick or as sick is certainly a desirable outcome too. I also figure it helps slow and eventually end the pandemic that is good. Reduces chances of mutations, also good. Helps protect those that can't be vaccinated. Even helps protect those who could be vaccinated but choose not to.

Against the tiny chance I might have some slight side effects lasting a day. Or an even smaller than tiny chance of a more serious complication. Have been vaccinated against different diseases my whole life so I just don't view that vaccination as a very risky choice. I suppose this vaccine could have some long term negative side effects but at this point in time I don't see the evidence for that. I may use fear to motivate me but the trick I find is to weigh the evidence for the threats and deciding to fear the right things.

I wear pants to online video meetings because I'm pretty sure it is smart to fear an accidental video exposure. I don't fear big red rock eaters because I find little to support them being a real threat. I also figure I'm safe from brain eating zombies because I can always zone out and sort of veg so they don't detect a brain. Wife says that may be my super power, so I don't fear the zombies.
Old 09-02-2021, 02:05 PM   #32

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I just found out that I've been exposed. Monday, my next door neighbors were helping me briefly with loading a kitty into a cat carrier. I hadn't seen them since. Today one neighbor was outside and yelled to me that they had Covid. They'd been vaccinated early this year as have I. She felt horribly tired, he has a bad cough but neither has a fever.

I'm a bit nervous right now.

We live in an uber conservative part of the country where vaccination rates were pretty pathetic. The Delta variant is here and by checking the positive count, its victims are multiplying like rabbits. This county has a population of 50,000. In the last two weeks there have been 200+ positive tests.

Our children are apparently quite weak because there is a sign up saying that they are unable to breathe if they wear masks.

I'm tired of all the rhetoric. If kids could be vaccinated, at this point I'd say let 'er rip and let's get it over with.

Meanwhile, I wait.
Old 09-02-2021, 02:43 PM   #33

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post
Meanwhile, I wait.
I would not lose any sleep over it as long as you have been vaccinated. Odds are very good that if you get it you will not be more than slightly ill (if vaccinated). Just take care not to expose anyone at risk.

In other news:

By unanimously vote the South Carolina Supreme Court has struck down the City of Columbia's mask mandate for schools.

And that while at the same time a second school in South Carolina (Fort Mill) is transitioning to remote learning due to COVID-19 cases, the district announced today. Pleasant Knoll Middle School will go remote for all students beginning Friday, Sept. 3 due to a rise in COVID-19 cases that indicate community spread within the school.

Two counties to the north, the East Iredell County NC Middle school is going 100% virtual because 59% of the students either have COVID or are under quarantine due to exposure.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Motions to Ban Halloween, Citing its Association with Masks.

-----------------

By the way, one and only one of the above news stories is satirical. I know its hard to tell which one because they all seem so bizarre and contradictory.
Old 09-02-2021, 03:57 PM   #34

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I would not lose any sleep over it as long as you have been vaccinated. Odds are very good that if you get it you will not be more than slightly ill (if vaccinated). Just take care not to expose anyone at risk.

In other news:

By unanimously vote the South Carolina Supreme Court has struck down the City of Columbia's mask mandate for schools.

And that while at the same time a second school in South Carolina (Fort Mill) is transitioning to remote learning due to COVID-19 cases, the district announced today. Pleasant Knoll Middle School will go remote for all students beginning Friday, Sept. 3 due to a rise in COVID-19 cases that indicate community spread within the school.

Two counties to the north, the East Iredell County NC Middle school is going 100% virtual because 59% of the students either have COVID or are under quarantine due to exposure.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott Motions to Ban Halloween, Citing its Association with Masks.

-----------------

By the way, one and only one of the above news stories is satirical. I know its hard to tell which one because they all seem so bizarre and contradictory.
The article stating 59 percent have covid or exposure is interesting. Maybe they should all stay in school and let heard immunity protect them! I herd it really works and they are getting close!
Old 09-02-2021, 04:07 PM   #35

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
The article stating 59 percent have covid or exposure is interesting. Maybe they should all stay in school and let heard immunity protect them! I herd it really works and they are getting close!
News just in.. now five schools in that county are going virtual...

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/he...c-0711484ec58f
Old 09-02-2021, 04:32 PM   #36

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
News just in.. now five schools in that county are going virtual...

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/he...c-0711484ec58f
I hope their health care workers can handle the cases.
Old 09-02-2021, 07:09 PM   #37

Registry
I just deleted a perfectly legitimate comment when I realized that in today's environment, I might elicit a "Knee Jerk" response,... and I'm concerned that some of us are so old that one more "knee Jerk" response might result in surgery on the offending appendage!
Old 09-02-2021, 07:49 PM   #38

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I just deleted a perfectly legitimate comment when I realized that in today's environment, I might elicit a "Knee Jerk" response,... and I'm concerned that some of us are so old that one more "knee Jerk" response might result in surgery on the offending appendage!
well I am not so old that I worry about my knees so please.. undelete.
Old 09-02-2021, 10:04 PM   #39

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
...stay in school and let heard immunity protect them! I herd it really works...

Did you do that on purpose?
Old 09-02-2021, 10:50 PM   #40

Name: Ia
Trailer: Casita
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
"The federal government derives its authority for isolation and quarantine from the Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution.
Under section 361 of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S. Code § 264), the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services is authorized to take measures to prevent the entry and spread of communicable diseases from foreign countries into the United States and between states.
The authority for carrying out these functions on a daily basis has been delegated to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Under 42 Code of Federal Regulations parts 70 and 71, CDC is authorized to detain, medically examine, and release persons arriving into the United States and traveling between states who are suspected of carrying these communicable diseases.
As part of its federal authority, CDC routinely monitors persons arriving at U.S. land border crossings and passengers and crew arriving at U.S. ports of entry for signs or symptoms of communicable diseases.
When alerted about an ill passenger or crew member by the pilot of a plane or captain of a ship, CDC may detain passengers and crew as necessary to investigate whether the cause of the illness on board is a communicable disease."

It seems that that is referencing immigrants/refugees not US citizens going about their routines.
Curiously, the only people not being tested for covid are those entering at our southern border.......
Closed Thread