Covid and cross-border camper purchase - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2020, 07:47 AM   #1

Name: Matt
Trailer: Playpac
New York
Covid and cross-border camper purchase

Hello all - I'm an American in NY in the market for a vintage 13' FGRV and within a day trip of where I live, there are more options in Canada than in the US (lots of Bolers and Trilliums in Quebec). Does anyone have any insight on a cross-border sale in the era of closed borders? I don't think I can cross into Canada, and I don't think most Canadians can drive into the US. Creatively trying to think about a meetup on the border (at a less-trafficked border station) or maybe shipping it. I'd love to hear if anyone has any experience or ideas.
toomoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:06 AM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Someone else on the forum bought a vintage trailer in Canada and had it brought to the US. They had to hire a broker to do this. Search for "closed border" or "Canadian border closed" to find the thread.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:18 AM   #3

New York
Thanks! I found it. It's here, in case anyone else stumbles on this thread asking the same question: https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ner-92873.html
Old 07-24-2020, 12:31 PM   #4

Name: Jean
Trailer: Escape 5
North Carolina
I just did this

Hi
I just got back from buying a 2016 Escape from a private seller. I hired a broker and the seller helped me find a commercial trucker to bring it across the border from British Columbia.

First, check with your local DOT to find out what documents they require to register it in your state and get a temporary tag, a copy of which you will need to send to the trucker. These are different than what Customs will require. The broker will handle those documents. With the borders closed, brokers are overwhelmed. Proofread carefully all documents the broker sends. There were errors in my address and the trailer VIN number that held us up at the border 2.5 hours with the trucker on the clock.

You will need a statement that the vehicle meets US transportation safety standards at the time of manufacture. This can be a document or a tag on the trailer.

I bought this trailer sight unseen but on good recommendation from the place that serviced it. There are forum members that will go look for you. I picked it up outside the Customs office at the border crossing in WA.

The details made my head spin but I have my trailer, properly titled and tagged sitting in my NC driveway ready to go.

Good luck!
Jean
Weavery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:37 PM   #5

New York
Thanks, Jean. That's incredibly helpful! Good to know that it's possible and what the steps would need to be. Congrats on the new Escape. Those are really nice.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:47 PM   #6

Name: Jean
Trailer: Escape 5
North Carolina
I so lucked out on this. Everyone was incredibly helpful, including the US customs folks which the broker warned would not be. Customs insisted on everything being done by the book but also let me know they would help all they could. I did call Customs at the border crossing in advance for clarification and they patiently (and cheerfully) answered questions. They were just as nice when I got there. The sellers were great as well. The brokers were good but hard to get on the phone as was the trucker. I definitely did some nail biting but all to a good end. Best wishes!
Weavery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:08 PM   #7
vin

Name: vince
Trailer: escape
Georgia
new 2016 escape

What a journey but well worth it. It makes you appreciate her all the more. There are upcoming rallies this fall that are still on in Tenn. and Va. Maybe you can bring her out and introduce her to a lot of great people who would be willing to help anyway they can to provide info for many years of camping. Congrats.
vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:43 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Neeed to sell never used little guy

We bought a Liberty mini/max Little guy trailer. We really love it but never got a chance to use it last summer. It is brand new. My husband is 80 years old and due to this crazy situation of COVID we have not used it this summer either.

I doubt we will be able to do so come the fall or winter.

If anyone would lie to make an offer please let me know. It has all the options including off road tiers etc.

We are in upstate NY near Montreal and Vermont.

Jasconius
RenaK is offline   Reply With Quote