Michigan State and Federal Forest Camping is Still Open! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2020, 05:31 PM   #1

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD 17'
Michigan
Michigan State and Federal Forest Camping is Still Open!

Fortunately for Michigan, there are numerous places to camp besides the state parks. Numerous State Forest Campgrounds, which offer "rustic" camping have hand pumps for water and pit toilets but no electric, are still open. Michigan is blessed to have an abundance of state lands and three national forests which offer dispersed camping away from designated campgrounds. A quick review of national forest campgrounds show that those are also open although some still may be temporarily closed because of what I believe are access limitations caused by the remaining snow on the ground.

As fiberglass trailer owners, most of which are under 20 feet long, we have the distinct advantage of being able to use the smaller state and federal forest campsites as well as pulling into any clearing off of a forest road or two-track (an adventure in of itself!) and disperse camp. Often these more rustic camping opportunities are adjacent to streams, ponds, and lakes where the wild life is more abundant, the fishing is better, the air is fresher, and the campsites are not on top of each other like in the state parks.

So if you're itching to get out of your home during this isolation period like I am, I think there is no better place to isolate yourself than in the state or national forests. Get your fishing license while your at it and make a spring fishing adventure out of it!

I've attached a few links that will lead you to the national forests in Michigan as well as the state forest dispersed camping rules.

Hope to see you at the lake!

Jeff

https://www.fs.usda.gov/ (use green drop box on right and select Michigan)

https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,...220---,00.html __________________

IBUPNORTH
ibupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:18 PM   #2

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
I'm sure you're aware that your state's stay at home order makes no provisions for camping, and that by circumventing it and encouraging others to do the same you risk prolonging the pain. Your governor's "threat," not mine.

I'm also sure you don't care.
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:39 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus C View Post
I'm sure you're aware that your state's stay at home order makes no provisions for camping, and that by circumventing it and encouraging others to do the same you risk prolonging the pain. Your governor's "threat," not mine.

Governor Evers of the State of Wisconsin issued a similar order today
We plan on honoring both the word and the spirit of the stay in place regulations

Thank you Justus
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:37 AM   #4

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
Quote:

Woah - I thought we weren't supposed to be nasty! What part of a person in a self contained fiberglass camper would be in any way a threat to others? We don't need a bathroom, don't need groceries, staying put in a campsite, we don't need gas. Utopia!
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:42 AM   #5

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
dry camping in MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibupnorth View Post
Fortunately for Michigan, there are numerous places to camp besides the state parks. Numerous State Forest Campgrounds, which offer "rustic" camping have hand pumps for water and pit toilets but no electric, are still open. Michigan is blessed to have an abundance of state lands and three national forests which offer dispersed camping away from designated campgrounds. A quick review of national forest campgrounds show that those are also open although some still may be temporarily closed because of what I believe are access limitations caused by the remaining snow on the ground.

As fiberglass trailer owners, most of which are under 20 feet long, we have the distinct advantage of being able to use the smaller state and federal forest campsites as well as pulling into any clearing off of a forest road or two-track (an adventure in of itself!) and disperse camp. Often these more rustic camping opportunities are adjacent to streams, ponds, and lakes where the wild life is more abundant, the fishing is better, the air is fresher, and the campsites are not on top of each other like in the state parks.

So if you're itching to get out of your home during this isolation period like I am, I think there is no better place to isolate yourself than in the state or national forests. Get your fishing license while your at it and make a spring fishing adventure out of it!

I've attached a few links that will lead you to the national forests in Michigan as well as the state forest dispersed camping rules.

Hope to see you at the lake!

Jeff

oops something happened to this link, sorry

https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,...220---,00.html __________________
I wish we could find those disbursed spots in MI US Forests. We love the State forest CGs. Last summer we stayed at Arbutus just south of White Fish Point in the UP, among many others. Gorgeous.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:13 PM   #6

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by garycarolyn View Post
Woah - I thought we weren't supposed to be nasty! What part of a person in a self contained fiberglass camper would be in any way a threat to others? We don't need a bathroom, don't need groceries, staying put in a campsite, we don't need gas. Utopia!
Perhaps you and I have different definitions of nasty. Mine is needlessly contradicting public health guidance and putting others at risk because you refuse to alter your lifestyle with the rest of society.

When you break down on the side of the road, run out of propane, catch a hook in your thumb, experience a medical emergency, or find yourself in any other situation where you need to interact with other humans, just make sure you've been isolated for two weeks before breaking camp. Shouldn't be a problem since you're completely self-contained. Say it won't happen if you want. It might not happen to you, but it will happen to someone, and I'm sure whatever rural town they infect will be thrilled.
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:04 PM   #7

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Perhaps you and I have different definitions of nasty. Mine is needlessly contradicting public health guidance and putting others at risk because you refuse to alter your lifestyle with the rest of society.

When you break down on the side of the road, run out of propane, catch a hook in your thumb, experience a medical emergency, or find yourself in any other situation where you need to interact with other humans, just make sure you've been isolated for two weeks before breaking camp. Shouldn't be a problem since you're completely self-contained. Say it won't happen if you want. It might not happen to you, but it will happen to someone, and I'm sure whatever rural town they infect will be thrilled.
And which of those things couldn't happen if you were sitting at home? You will need groceries at home, so will be driving, perhaps you have a flat. Medical emergencies can happen anywhere.

And, I agree, your post smacked of "nasty". If you want to convince someone that their position is wrong, leaving out the sarcasm and personal attack would go a long way to make an actual conversation.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:42 PM   #8

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
And which of those things couldn't happen if you were sitting at home? You will need groceries at home, so will be driving, perhaps you have a flat. Medical emergencies can happen anywhere.

And, I agree, your post smacked of "nasty". If you want to convince someone that their position is wrong, leaving out the sarcasm and personal attack would go a long way to make an actual conversation.
The truth is often NASTY
Old 03-25-2020, 02:31 PM   #9

Name: Larry and Pat
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Nasty...I don't think so...

I don't see any of the previous responses above as nasty, truthful, but not nasty. If one is out and about with a trailer, has an accident, requires first responders or emergency room treatment or hospitalization, they will be using resources that are or soon will needed to be used by others who are already under stress dealing with this national emergency. By staying home we reduce our risk profile and reduce the strain on the men and women on the front line in law enforcement and medical care.
lpdolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:14 PM   #10

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I read on one of the news forums that MI State Parks and State Forests were closed. I don't know how you can close a State forest in MI. I can understand closing State Forest primitive campgrounds, just not the entire State Forest, which has a lot of very good places to boondock. So before you go to MI probably best to call the State Forest District manager's office in the area you want to camp in.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:18 PM   #11

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdolan View Post
I don't see any of the previous responses above as nasty, truthful, but not nasty. If one is out and about with a trailer, has an accident, requires first responders or emergency room treatment or hospitalization, they will be using resources that are or soon will needed to be used by others who are already under stress dealing with this national emergency. By staying home we reduce our risk profile and reduce the strain on the men and women on the front line in law enforcement and medical care.
There you go again , sacrificing your own selfish desires for the common good and welfare . Common sense and compassion will get you in trouble every time
Old 03-25-2020, 04:48 PM   #12

Michigan
Quote:

I can understand the fear that the virus is causing so I respect your response to my post. After a couple of decades in military bomb disposal, I guess my fear receptors have been dulled and sense of humor, warped. My post was really a more a tongue-in-cheek post because of all the state park closing postings. Like no kidding - why waste the time to post them. It was also done to advertise alternative camping locations when stay home orders are lifted - my bust for the wording used.

I'm in the higher risk age for this virus, not that it would change my isolation methods because this isn't just about me. I have been sitting home for the past two weeks - way before my governor issued the stay home order and I don't plan to change a thing until orders are lifted. That said, I am not a sheep and don't need a political "leader" telling me what should be obvious to everyone. (If the "leaders" really wanted to curb the virus they would have isolated people sooner - not later - but economic factors must also be weighted). I live two miles away from one of the largest state forests in the state. Whether I walk around my yard with the closest neighbor 30 yards away or I put my food in my second home and travel a few miles away to a slightly more remote change of scenery - I really don't see much of a difference. I think everyone needs to show good judgement and consideration of others during this time which means, above all, social distancing.

Respectfully,
Jeff T.

IBUPNORTH
Old 03-25-2020, 05:07 PM   #13

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
I read on one of the news forums that MI State Parks and State Forests were closed. I don't know how you can close a State forest in MI. I can understand closing State Forest primitive campgrounds, just not the entire State Forest, which has a lot of very good places to boondock. So before you go to MI probably best to call the State Forest District manager's office in the area you want to camp in.
More convenient to check out the DNR website where you can easily find everything you desire. This is a quote from the DNR website, "In response to Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s "stay home, stay safe" executive order, we have closed state park campgrounds, overnight lodging facilities and shelters, through at least April 13. State parks, recreation areas, trails and other state-managed land will remain open, provided all visitors adhere to the requirement for proper social distancing." https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,...145---,00.html

State managed forest lands are still open with no restrictions other than social distancing.

R/ Jeff

IBUPNORTH
Old 03-27-2020, 05:17 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by garycarolyn View Post
I'm with you. Some folks forget that what goes around, comes around.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:21 PM   #15

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdolan View Post
That is far-fetched, because the likelihood of increasing the risk via boondock camping is so low as to not be worth mentioning.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:24 PM   #16

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibupnorth View Post
More convenient to check out the DNR website where you can easily find everything you desire. This is a quote from the DNR website, "In response to Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s "stay home, stay safe" executive order, we have closed state park campgrounds, overnight lodging facilities and shelters, through at least April 13. State parks, recreation areas, trails and other state-managed land will remain open, provided all visitors adhere to the requirement for proper social distancing." https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,...145---,00.html

State managed forest lands are still open with no restrictions other than social distancing.

R/ Jeff
Exactly right, I got that email from MiDNR too. They are still encouraging people to get out and enjoy the woods and waters of Michigan despite the state park closures. Yet some here seem to feel that publicly shaming folks for their desire to enjoy the Michigan outdoors is somehow appropriate.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:25 AM   #17

Name: Larry and Pat
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Michigan comments....

They must have changed the webpage since you last looked at it, you guys need to reexamine your links... key words seem to be "residents, travel minimal, essential needs, so that unsafe conditions do not develop and state-managed lands can remain open."

"State Parks, Trails, Forests And Other State-Managed Public Land"

"State parks and recreation areas currently remain open to provide residents with local opportunities to get outdoors; however, extensive travel should be minimal – and reserved only for essential needs – and effective social distancing (of at least 6 feet between yourself and another person) is required so that unsafe conditions do not develop and state-managed lands can remain open."
lpdolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:46 AM   #18

NW Wisconsin
I have often wondered why Americans did poorly in standardized test when compared to the rest of developed world and why some areas of the US consistently score better than others on these tests
The covid 19 pandemic has revealed some insights . It appears that many Americans can not read and comprehend the English language.

Take the words “ Local Resident” or “Extensive Travel” or “ Essential Needs” for example . Their meaning seems to be clear , obvious and not really open to interpretation but read the posts on this forum and one would think that they are abstract phrases , written in a foreign language .

Maybe what the US needs in addition to ventilators , hospital beds , PPE , and an effective vaccine is classes in remedial English
Then if the scientists come up with a pill that can control Covid 19 , Americans will be able to read , understand and follow the directions on the pill bottle.

That being said some will never get the word
Old 03-28-2020, 08:26 AM   #19

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:48 AM   #20

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I have often wondered why Americans did poorly in standardized test when compared to the rest of developed world and why some areas of the US consistently score better than others on these tests
The covid 19 pandemic has revealed some insights . It appears that many Americans can not read and comprehend the English language.

Take the words “ Local Resident” or “Extensive Travel” or “ Essential Needs” for example . Their meaning seems to be clear , obvious and not really open to interpretation but read the posts on this forum and one would think that they are abstract phrases , written in a foreign language .

Maybe what the US needs in addition to ventilators , hospital beds , PPE , and an effective vaccine is classes in remedial English
Then if the scientists come up with a pill that can control Covid 19 , Americans will be able to read , understand and follow the directions on the pill bottle.

That being said some will never get the word
As Larry pointed out that "they must have changed the website since you looked at it," instead of English classes maybe we need lessons on becoming clairvoyant and all-knowing. Perhaps you'd be the best one to lead those classes?

At any rate, my info didn't come from any website. As I said previously, it came from an email sent by Michigan DNR (you might have to re-read and comprehend my earlier post in order to be in sync with the thread). I'll be happy to copy and paste it here if anyone wants to read it, but suffice to say that except for a mention of social distancing of 6' there is no mention in it of "local residents only" or short-distance travel.