NM State Parks Closing - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2020, 08:32 PM   #101

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRaw View Post
I grew up in New Mexico. I own 4 acres just east of Albuquerque. There are some really beautiful areas of the state. When I bought my Bigfoot last year I was really looking forward to getting to spend some time there camping in some of these places. I still am. The house on my property needs some work. My plan was once everything thawed out and it stopped snowing I was gong to go to NM and stay in the Bigfoot while working on the house. But, I can wait.
Cool. Does your property afford a good view of Sandia Peak?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:24 PM   #102

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I think the moderators know that if they shut down this thread, another one just like that will restart. It will go on until we are all tired of the topic, or the virus is on a retreat. Those among us who know the future, please raise your hand!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:46 PM   #103

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
You need to understand something about mortality rates. Much depends on the age range of the population in that area. For instance a lot of small towns have primarily an older population as the young people have left for fun, excitement and more job opportunities.

Italy has the oldest population per capita of all the European countries and that is being reflected in their death rates from Covid 19.

If you want to talk about the overall death rate from the whole world that is fine. But what if you have elderly parents living in a small town that has few younger people in it? That town would have quite a high death rate. Or how about Florida which has a high percentage of retired persons? Or those giant sized planned retirement communities in Arizona?

So those localized populations with a high density of 60 year plus individuals are going to have their medical facilities become overwhelmed if Covid 19 does get into the community and the community is not taking stay-at-home measures seriously.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:27 PM   #104

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Of all the things the US government has asked it's citizens to do in the past, this is by far the easiest. Ask those that were state-side in WWII. Food rationing, food vouchers, scrap metal drives, etc. etc. They were trying to win a war and survive. You're not STUCK at home, you're SAFE at home. One word can change your attitude and one cough can change your life.

Be well, be safe.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:06 PM   #105

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
when seniors go around publicly expressing themselves about how they don't mind dying from Covid 19 just give them some morpine etc that creates a very real problem because then the news stories pick it up. When that happens politicians and others begin to think it is perfectly OK to endorse "agism" attitudes where it does not matter much of anything what they decide to do to seniors. If it is OK to let them die for the sake of the economy then by all means it is OK to take away their health care all together as well as things such as social security income. Plus why not just get rid of senior care facilities all together.

Think what you like regarding how you value your own life but just remember that what you say you can do harm to others when you go around talking that way. Not every senior on the planet feels the way you do. Many of them treasure every breath they take and every minute of time they can spend with grand children, great or even great great grand children. Also their families equally want that time with their elders.

It is a poor society where seniors have so little respect for their own life that they help create and then reinforce an overall anti social attitude for the lives of others of their generation. Not being afraid of death is one thing but advocating that the death of seniors from Covid 19 does not really matter is an entirely different thing. Try very hard not to imply in your conversations that it does not matter all that much if seniors die during a pandemic.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:59 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
You need to understand something about mortality rates. Much depends on the age range of the population in that area. For instance a lot of small towns have primarily an older population as the young people have left for fun, excitement and more job opportunities.

Italy has the oldest population per capita of all the European countries and that is being reflected in their death rates from Covid 19.

If you want to talk about the overall death rate from the whole world that is fine. But what if you have elderly parents living in a small town that has few younger people in it? That town would have quite a high death rate. Or how about Florida which has a high percentage of retired persons? Or those giant sized planned retirement communities in Arizona?

So those localized populations with a high density of 60 year plus individuals are going to have their medical facilities become overwhelmed if Covid 19 does get into the community and the community is not taking stay-at-home measures seriously.
I agree with you that Florida is one state that did the right thing in shutting down, for 3 or 4 weeks anyway. Tourism industry isn't as important as protecting the retirees there.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:07 AM   #107

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I agree with you that Florida is one state that did the right thing in shutting down, for 3 or 4 weeks anyway. Tourism industry isn't as important as protecting the retirees there.
Except they didn't until it was too late. Spring Break in Florida ring any bells. Check this out: https://nypost.com/2020/03/27/alarmi...d-coronavirus/
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:09 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
when seniors go around publicly expressing themselves about how they don't mind dying from Covid 19 just give them some morpine etc that creates a very real problem because then the news stories pick it up. When that happens politicians and others begin to think it is perfectly OK to endorse "agism" attitudes where it does not matter much of anything what they decide to do to seniors. If it is OK to let them die for the sake of the economy then by all means it is OK to take away their health care all together as well as things such as social security income. Plus why not just get rid of senior care facilities all together.

Think what you like regarding how you value your own life but just remember that what you say you can do harm to others when you go around talking that way. Not every senior on the planet feels the way you do. Many of them treasure every breath they take and every minute of time they can spend with grand children, great or even great great grand children. Also their families equally want that time with their elders.

It is a poor society where seniors have so little respect for their own life that they help create and then reinforce an overall anti social attitude for the lives of others of their generation. Not being afraid of death is one thing but advocating that the death of seniors from Covid 19 does not really matter is an entirely different thing. Try very hard not to imply in your conversations that it does not matter all that much if seniors die during a pandemic.
You seem to equate seniors catching the virus with automatic death. That's a false equivalence. Even among seniors with the virus, far more recover than die. Nor is my view equivalent to "advocating the death of seniors from Covid 19;" that is an inflammatory strawman argument.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:14 AM   #109

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I am really enjoying the forum’s ignore feature
Hopefully in the near future it will become unnecessary but until then all I can say is “ THANK GOD “
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:13 AM   #110

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Quote:
You seem to equate seniors catching the virus with automatic death. That's a false equivalence. Even among seniors with the virus, far more recover than die. Nor is my view equivalent to "advocating the death of seniors from Covid 19;" that is an inflammatory strawman argument.
I used to have this attached poster up in my office. It would be very interesting if we all agreed to follow these rules in any debate. I'm sure 100% of us are guilty of at least one of these almost every time we open our mouth.

In NY, a significant percentage of those hospitalized are in their 20s, 30s and 40s.
Attached Thumbnails
poster.jpg  
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:14 PM   #111

Name: Jon
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Quote:
Cool. Does your property afford a good view of Sandia Peak?

Sandia Peak is kind of far but I can see it off in the distance.
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote