NM State Parks Closing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2020, 11:20 AM   #21

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
As is said, you are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.

IF we do as we're supposed to do, self-isolating and certainly social distancing, the only thing we'll die of is boredom.

Be safe, be well
We don't plan to change much of our movements, everyone is entitled to live their life the way they want to.

I find most of the alarm is not worth paying attention to. Now everyone is supposed to stay 6f away from each other. Good luck trying to do or maintain that!

Campgrounds may be closed doesn't matter to us as we boondock anyway. Lots of things to do in our state and in April we take off for a tour of our Missouri springs.

The park rangers maybe called to somewhere else I doubt if they close the parks through the day.

Everyone stay calm!!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 12:15 PM   #22

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
I continue to do what I need to do, but i cutting out much of what I had planned. It is going to be very easy 5o become a statistic. High end projection 1/2 to 3/4 of U S population infected with 1,000,000 deaths. Low end is still over 200,000 deaths. We can only limit it if we apply ourselves
Be careful out there.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 12:51 PM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Please fact check some of the statistics before quoting them! Deaths are based on those with confirmed cases (those most likely to seek medical help) not the actual number of people that have contracted the corona virus, especially since some don't even exhibit symptoms, which means that any estimates given about the amount of people that will die if they get the corona virus are just way, way off base. Just like with the flu, there is mostly or always underlying health issues.

When researching this yesterday online using science websites, not media sites, the biggest threat right now if the psychological damage it is doing to those that are stressing over it. It was advised that people limit their social media contact and media in general.

It only makes sense to try to avoid getting anything, and if someone was already doing that to avoid the flu for which the vaccine is only 45% effective this term anyway (actually only if that 45% would have contracted the flu anyway which is doubtful), they were on their way to avoid getting the corona virus.

https://www.wilx.com/content/news/Of...568726301.html

Google "corona virus, putting things in perspective". Stress is hard on one's immune system, think about that!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:33 PM   #24

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
My mind is at ease because I realize I'm not equipped to second guess the pros, nor is there any reason to do so. There are plenty of doctors, epidemiologists and other public health professionals at the CDC who have spent years pondering situations like this. It's true that they were hampered early on by attempts to minimize the threat and unfortunate choices that have reduced the government's ability to respond quickly. On the other hand, they are helped by being able to follow and learn from the experiences of the countries impacted before us. Following their recommendations is no more than an inconvenience to me. I would feel badly if I caused even one person to become ill because I couldn't forego a meal at my favorite restaurant. I know some stuff but have no problem admitting some things are beyond my pay grade.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:03 PM   #25

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
NM State Parks Closing

The experts are busy enough second guessing themselves that they hardly need any help from the public. I’m sure we will get very accurate information about what we should have done.

Recently heard from friends of friends about the upsides of not leaving your apartment building for 7 straight weeks. Turns out there are birds in Wuhan, China. With city sounds silenced, sounds of nature emerged.

I have nothing to complain about. We were looking forward to an anniversary weekend in LA with tickets to the Shen Yun performance. Instead it looks like we’ll be enjoying the unfolding of spring at home in Arizona!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:36 PM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry in Fowler View Post
I continue to do what I need to do, but i cutting out much of what I had planned. It is going to be very easy 5o become a statistic. High end projection 1/2 to 3/4 of U S population infected with 1,000,000 deaths. Low end is still over 200,000 deaths. We can only limit it if we apply ourselves
Be careful out there.
Dr Michael Osterholm who is one of the nation’s leading experts on infectious diseases gave numbers this morning matching the ones you have posted
There are too many news services both broadcast and internet that are skewing the numbers to fit their agenda .
I watch the news to be informed ( good or bad ) and not to hear someone parrot my warped political opinion.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:48 PM   #27

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
So many are so busy living in their own world, and used to deciding anything they want to do is totally justified. A me first always world. A world based on short term gain, but long term problems.

Anytime there is a conflict between convenient emotion, and scientific fact, or expert advice, the emotions rule, backed up with an excuse such as, "I'll live my life the way I choose", or "everyone else is going crazy", or "it's all hype", or "a hoax", or "it's a free Country", etc. But those folks, for the most part, don't understand or care to understand the consequences. It's all about ME!!! Always and forever about ME!!!! Nobody else matters!

Funny how experts are belittled, politicians with an agenda are celebrated, and anything inconvenient is discounted as crazy. All without any scientific support for the position.

Is it any wonder we can't slow this scourge down?

Remember when Kennedy said : "Ask not what your Country can do for you, but what you can do for your Country"? Now ask yourself how your fellow Countrymen will all be better off if you help spread a deadly virus, just because you want to go have fun and feel you are exempt from common sense. It is so easy to declare everyone else crazy, if they are being cautious. So easy to decide the rules only apply to others. It's easy because it's always harder to understand the scientific reasons, or follow the recommendations of genuine experts. And science can be so inconvenient. It's so hard for some to see that if we do the right thing now, we can make this much less of a problem in the long run.

Sometimes it's hard to look forward and do the right thing. But maybe it's time to look more carefully at the reasons the inconvenience makes sense. Does science have no value at all compared to personal greed or opinion? Lately, science is simply scoffed at if it gets in the way. We are told to ignore science if it doesn't fit an agenda. Or emotions are used as evidence that science is not valid.

Why not lay low, as recommended, for two or three weeks and see how it goes? In some cases, people are asked to go off to war, and they willingly go. Here, we are being asked to simply stay home, but that is so insulting and out of the question for so many.

Or, here is another idea: Make a solid argument as to why personal emotion should rule over expert scientific knowledge. I'd really like to hear it.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:54 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
One issue is that if the population follows the science-based advice, and nothing happens, because they followed that advice, they say, "see, it was nothing". I don't know what can be done about that.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:38 PM   #29

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
People are very good at finding reasons not to believe what they don't want to be true. Just as they are very good at deciding that scientific recommendations, or common sense, doesn't apply to them. But all of those folks take advantage of scientific achievement every day in a myriad of ways.

So often, society is forced to work around, or in spite of, the worst offenders, or make rules inconvenient to very many, based on the behavior of an extreme minority. A few selfish offenders damage the majority, as they proudly proclaim their right to do what ever they want. These are the ones who cannot see how successful we've all been by working together, or that we all have a stake in our future. Or that non of us want to make the needed sacrifices, but will for the greater good, and our own good.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:42 PM   #30

California
The attempt is to reduce a spike to a slow wave which will allow for the treatment of as many people as possible instead of a government order not to treat those over 65. That happened a few days ago in Italy. It's easy to find on line.
In any case, get supplies, fill up with fuel and find a place to hunker down for at least three weeks. If you dig into the government websites you'll find that suggested as the best way to avoid the numbers I listed earlier. It's already taking place in several areas. I expect it would be nation wide except that would fall under states rights. In three weeks anyone infected now will have the covid-19 and in most cases be well with minimum additional infections. If that is the case we could end up with many fewer losses. Of course if that happen many will say all the effort was not needed.
Hope we're all still here next year and I'll be happy to here how wrong I was, but i won't agree and dont now.
Good luck. The nation and the world needs it and God's grace.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:10 AM   #31

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
So many are so busy living in their own world, and used to deciding anything they want to do is totally justified. A me first always world. A world based on short term gain, but long term problems.

Anytime there is a conflict between convenient emotion, and scientific fact, or expert advice, the emotions rule, backed up with an excuse such as, "I'll live my life the way I choose", or "everyone else is going crazy", or "it's all hype", or "a hoax", or "it's a free Country", etc. But those folks, for the most part, don't understand or care to understand the consequences. It's all about ME!!! Always and forever about ME!!!! Nobody else matters!

Funny how experts are belittled, politicians with an agenda are celebrated, and anything inconvenient is discounted as crazy. All without any scientific support for the position.

Remember when Kennedy said : "Ask not what your Country can do for you, but what you can do for your Country"? Now ask yourself how your fellow Countrymen will all be better off if you help spread a deadly virus, just because you want to go have fun and feel you are exempt from common sense. It is so easy to declare everyone else crazy, if they are being cautious. So easy to decide the rules only apply to others. It's easy because it's always harder to understand the scientific reasons, or follow the recommendations of genuine experts. And science can be so inconvenient. It's so hard for some to see that if we do the right thing now, we can make this much less of a problem in the long run.

Sometimes it's hard to look forward and do the right thing. But maybe it's time to look more carefully at the reasons the inconvenience makes sense. Does science have no value at all compared to personal greed or opinion? Lately, science is simply scoffed at if it gets in the way. We are told to ignore science if it doesn't fit an agenda. Or emotions are used as evidence that science is not valid.

Why not lay low, as recommended, for two or three weeks and see how it goes? In some cases, people are asked to go off to war, and they willingly go. Here, we are being asked to simply stay home, but that is so insulting and out of the question for so many.

Or, here is another idea: Make a solid argument as to why personal emotion should rule over expert scientific knowledge. I'd really like to hear it.
Well said
Old 03-17-2020, 08:13 AM   #32

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The biggest issue now is those that have the Coronavirus, but show no symptoms and are spreading it to others. So yeah, go ahead and live your life with your normal routine [sarcasm]... and hope to heaven you're NOT spreading it to others.
Attached Thumbnails
Grandparents.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:42 AM   #33

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Add Florida to the list of closings.. for sixty days.
https://www.floridastateparks.org/

Sorry if thats already been mentioned but there is so much rambling and opinionated bloviating in this thread that I won't read it all and might have missed something.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:07 AM   #34

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 21
Illinois
Keep calm and wash your hands.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:18 PM   #35

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I also agree that I can do whatever I want. So long as it doesn't harm anyone else. Time to get over our pampered lives just a little tiny bit and take one for the team. As Donna's quote says, we're being asked to stay home and sit on our couch. Get over it.

The fact is, right now, there's so much we don't know yet about this virus. Is it better to "wait and see"? I don't think so...The current death rate for flu is around .1%. Estimates for covid 19 are .25-3.5%, I think, depending on the local healthcare system. Covid 19 seems to be slightly more contagious than the flu, and we don't have a vaccine. So take the number of deaths we have from the flu each year, and multiply. Yes, with better testing, the death rate might lower, since there are definitely more people with the virus than we know. Or the rate may rise as time goes on. We just don't know yet.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 03:49 PM   #36

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Has anyone else viewed this video statement concerning Covid-19 by a German pulmonologist, Dr. Wolfgang Wodarg?
He makes some interesting points.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:21 PM   #37

California
Congressman Cox for my area along doctors held a telephone town hall meeting Monday night. Several times 3% was used as the mortality rate for those infected. We can hope that this figure is high.
If you want understand the importance of self quarantine read this article. The information directly related to the U S is near the end of the article. I would thinkk it would apply to Canada as well since the tow are closely linked.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...96f_story.html
I hope you all do what you can to avoid infection.
Good luck
Old 03-18-2020, 05:15 PM   #38

Tennessee
Here's an article about conspiracy theories in the context of the current COVID-19 situation https://theconversation.com/coronavi...problem-132489
Old 03-18-2020, 05:25 PM   #39

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post

John, couldn’t agree more. When this first started I thought I wasn’t going to change any of my travel plans. This is serious. I’ve heard from friends that full timers are having a hard time finding places to park in some regions. I’ve got a house and will stay here near family and friends and my healthcare and let the full timers have the RV spots.
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:10 PM   #40

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Has anyone else viewed this video statement concerning Covid-19 by a German pulmonologist, Dr. Wolfgang Wodarg? ...
He makes some interesting points.
Took him almost eleven minutes just to say:

I'm still listening to the multitude of American experts rather than one guy.

But if you really want to debate it...

https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/q...virus-variants
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote