NM State Parks Closing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2020, 08:36 AM   #1

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
NM State Parks Closing

A heads up for those traveling - New Mexico just announced they are closing camping at all state parks as of today (Friday, 13th).

Article
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:43 AM   #2

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Yikes. Hope any full timers using the state parks are able to find alternate accomodations.
Justus C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 10:23 AM   #3

Name: Royce
Trailer: Casita
Santa Rosa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus C View Post
Yikes. Hope any full timers using the state parks are able to find alternate accomodations.
That's got to be the stupidest thing I have heard yet regarding this virus. Personally, I have made 3x as many reservations in the face of this... social distancing doesn't get much better than out in the woods!

"suspend overnight camping – when park visitors are closest to one another in the campground – to minimize close contact between park visitors,”

What kind of wild orgies to they think we are having at night?
Juggledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:01 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Perhaps the reason for closing the parks is for something you've never even thought about. This is what's happening in parts of California. Read it, then it will make better sense. It's no longer a ME world, it's a WE world because we're all in this together. The sooner we do the fairly simple things being asked of us, the sooner we'll get through this.

Be well, be safe.
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:11 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Thanks Donna , always the voice of common sense
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 11:17 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Not only safety for campers but also people who clean the campgrounds.

Rally goers better keep watching as rally leaders try to keep everyone up to date. This might impact rallies like our Pink Elephant Rally.

CindyL
Old 03-13-2020, 11:31 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Perhaps the reason for closing the parks is for something you've never even thought about.

Remember this. People made jokes, but they didn't know what they didn't know.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:47 PM   #8

Trailer: Bigfoot
California
While I can see the points that both DonnaM and CindyL made, I'm still confused. The parks are open for day use but closed to overnight camping and special events. Special events makes sense. But allowing day use and preventing overnight camping? I don't get it.
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 01:55 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
There are definitely conflicting messages from different states. I've received emails from MI, PA, and AZ all stating their parks are open for camping with notes that outdoor living is one of the best places to be for preventing the spread of the virus.

As Donna mentioned, if they need the space for temporary housing I'd understand, but I find it hard to believe that sending sick folks to, for example, City of Rocks campground 30 miles from anything makes much sense.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 02:48 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Perhaps the reason for closing the parks is for something you've never even thought about. This is what's happening in parts of California. Read it, then it will make better sense. It's no longer a ME world, it's a WE world because we're all in this together. The sooner we do the fairly simple things being asked of us, the sooner we'll get through this.

Be well, be safe.
I prefer a responsible "Me world". These are the producers and the generous givers.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 04:32 PM   #11

State by State Campground Closures & Responses: https://www.campendium.com/camping/c...88jirrJH-rGHcA
Old 03-14-2020, 02:32 PM   #12

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
It would slow down tourism from places with a hire infection rate and travel in general. They're trying to slow it. No one expects to stop it. If it can be slowed there is they possibility being able to give better treatment.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:17 AM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
as has been mentioned

Actually this is one of the dumber things I have heard! Everyone is going crazy and in pure panic...

Again none of this makes sense but as usual in politics nothing makes sense! We have curtailed none of our activities and plan not to..

Everyone stay calm stay out of those stores seeking tp! We may never see it again!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:37 AM   #14

NW Wisconsin
I must be missing something ? It’s okay to shutdown travel fron Europe and Asia , schools and colleges , sporting events , Broadway , concerts , church services , restaurants ,cruise lines , airlines ,cut store hours etc , etc ,but if they close the parks to camping that’s the end of the world ?
I am more inclined to listen to the medical experts than any self proclaimed expert on the internet especially those with a political agenda , including myself .
Old 03-15-2020, 08:57 AM   #15

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Yep. Dumb, unless...... they no longer have staff in place to manage the campground. But then I would point that out.

If it is a staff thing.... I would lock up the bathhouses (no one to clean them) and then have a pay station. Still manageable IMHO.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 09:00 AM   #16

Missouri
tend to agree

I tend to agree on most of your points at 78 I have seen a lot of things including Polio. Remember that one? Of course the most scary to me was HIV. Remember that one?

But I have never seen such a world wide panic you cant even find baby formula now! We haven't stopped or changed anything at our house life is going on. We even have 4 rolls of TP in the house. God will provide!

As for closing down state campgrounds this one makes no sense! What do they expect people to do? All this is nothing but hysteria creating new hysteria!

I didn't have any camping trips planned but I have one in April I fully expect to go!

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I must be missing something ? It’s okay to shutdown travel fron Europe and Asia , schools and colleges , sporting events , Broadway , concerts , church services , restaurants ,cruise lines , airlines ,cut store hours etc , etc ,but if they close the parks to camping that’s the end of the world ?
I am more inclined to listen to the medical experts than any self proclaimed expert on the internet especially those with a political agenda , including myself .
Old 03-15-2020, 05:24 PM   #17

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
I tend to agree on most of your points at 78 I have seen a lot of things including Polio. Remember that one? Of course the most scary to me was HIV. Remember that one?

But I have never seen such a world wide panic you cant even find baby formula now! We haven't stopped or changed anything at our house life is going on. We even have 4 rolls of TP in the house. God will provide!

As for closing down state campgrounds this one makes no sense! What do they expect people to do? All this is nothing but hysteria creating new hysteria!

I didn't have any camping trips planned but I have one in April I fully expect to go!

bob
The State of New York is using Park and Forest Rangers to help in the fight against covid 19 and to supplement medical personnel
They are urging people who can to stay home and until they get a handle on this we will follow the advice of the CDC . Going camping is not on a list of things I need or will be doing .
Old 03-15-2020, 05:36 PM   #18
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I live in an area where a 25 bed hospital provides health care for thousands. Normally, that works fine. On the rare case where they fill there are other nearby hospitals available. But in this case we have to assume that the other hospitals will be just as full as our local hospital if every one gets sick at the same time. So the idea is to slow the disease down. Flatten the peak was the term used. The safest thing for everyone concerned is if you stay home. So they close the schools, cancel church, close the movie theater, cancel the sporting events, and closed the campgrounds.

Apparently you can have the virus and not know it. In fact you may not ever show symptoms. But you can still give it to others. If enough people decide they are going to do what ever they want no matter what, the disease will spread quickly and many could die because they can't get the help they need. That's what Donna was talking about, We vs Me.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:30 AM   #19

Missouri
Well it appears pure panic has now set in. No TP, no paper goods, no baby food, no baby formula, no hand sanitizer, no wipes stores wiped out!

I went to church yesterday to do what I normally do, we found the Taco Bell dining room closed, went to another restaurant it was open as usual, people do seem high strung with worry over this! I talked to a few people they all seemed of the opinion they were not going to be controlled by this. Since I was on I70 travelers of course.

We certainly are in a disturbing time! The outcome isn't known yet?

bob

It seems everyone has an opinion right now..
Old 03-16-2020, 10:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
It seems everyone has an opinion right now..
As is said, you are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.

IF we do as we're supposed to do, self-isolating and certainly social distancing, the only thing we'll die of is boredom.

Be safe, be well