No CLAM for now - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 09:54 AM   #1

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
No CLAM for now

Getting ready for Eggs on the Hiawassee next week it suddenly occurred to me that I should probably leave my CLAM enclosure at home. I just bought the new model 5-sided version last Summer and found it a very nice addition to my camping gear.
But I think we all know by now that the risk of infection is greatest in enclosed spaces. So anyone not a virus denier would and should decline to join me for a visit in the CLAM. Darn!!

Walt
Old 05-24-2020, 10:22 AM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Hadn't thought of that. I also bought a new Clam last summer and I've yet to put it up.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:30 AM   #3

SW Virginia
It was especially nice for a small group of us to get out of that chill evening wind at Quartzsite. The 5 sided CLAM, I think it's called the Venture, was nice with a 6' banquet table, a Little Red Fireplace, and 4 captains chairs. But for now I'll just rely on my awning.

Walt
Old 05-24-2020, 10:50 AM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I didn't even unpack mine at Quartzsite.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:46 AM   #5

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Getting ready for Eggs on the Hiawassee next week it suddenly occurred to me that I should probably leave my CLAM enclosure at home. I just bought the new model 5-sided version last Summer and found it a very nice addition to my camping gear.

But I think we all know by now that the risk of infection is greatest in enclosed spaces. So anyone not a virus denier would and should decline to join me for a visit in the CLAM. Darn!!Walt
Hello Walt,

Hmmmm… Yes, I remember your Clam from last October. If I bring my 13’x9’ screen house and if we have a picnic table at my site, you are welcome to join me at the other end & side of the table AND you bring your coffee pot and we wear surgical gloves to operate it, then you are welcome to join me. (Site #C15)
Old 05-25-2020, 12:42 PM   #6

SW Virginia
Whatever works Larry. Look forward to seeing you there.

Walt
Old 05-25-2020, 05:16 PM   #7
vin

Name: vince
Trailer: escape
Georgia
I missed you last year in Ocala. Hope to see you in Hiawassee. Safe travel.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:22 AM   #8

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Late cancellation...

Quote:
Whatever works Larry. Look forward to seeing you there.
Walt
After getting impassioned pleas from my wife and adult children concerning the corona virus pandemic, unfortunately, this morning, I elected to cancel my reservation.

I was soooo looking forward to this rally.

Per the campgrounds policies, I will be charged the full camping fee for three days.

Contact the campground. If anyone who has not made a reservation wants to go, site C15, as of this morning, is now available. Hopefully you will be able to camp using my reservation.....
Old 05-26-2020, 10:46 AM   #9

SW Virginia
I understand Larry. Each of us has to evaluate the personal risk. Sorry I'll miss seeing you. Keep safe and well for next time.

Walt
Old 05-26-2020, 04:16 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Walt, You could always lock yourself inside the CLAM and that way when people walk by you'd be protected by the CLAM screens that appear tight enough to keep the Coronavirus from entering.
If you could mount the legs on wheels you could walk around the campground with your own social distancing barrier.
CLAM = Covid Limiting Aerosolized Mitigator.

Wish we could go but Marilyn's had pre-op today and her surgery is Thursday and I thought I'd be nice to her and stick around this week.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Old 05-26-2020, 04:58 PM   #11

SW Virginia
Yeah, yeah. Blame it all on Marilyn when she can't defend herself.

Please let us know how she's doing when you feel it's appropriate. Best wishes.

Walt
Old 05-26-2020, 08:38 PM   #12

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The clam is designed to protect you from biting insects. If it makes others keep their social distance away that is big bonus points

Unfortunately I have noticed an issue when sitting in my little travel trailer when I have the screens open. People are still walking up to it right next to where I am sitting and standing with their hands next to their eyes and mouth right against the screen to get a good look inside. Talk about rude behavior!!!
And that is when I am working on it in the parking lot outside the workshop, I am not even out camping. Just nosy people who are curious and bored.
Old 05-30-2020, 02:23 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Interesting how people use their CLAM. Being introverts we seldom have people inside with us. With a small 13 it is a space to put stuff, get out of the rain, sun, keep the insects off me, cook. Love using it to hang wet shower towels. I often sit alone inside reading a book.

Now if I had a huge 17 it may not get packed so often🙂
Old 10-31-2020, 09:56 AM   #14

Name: Aami
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Virginia
Everything was loking settled a few days ago but now the threat is increasing. I am leaving in sydney and we just started working from office but things are not looking good as the cases increasing in near downtown
Old 10-31-2020, 11:14 AM   #15

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Unfortunately I have noticed an issue when sitting in my little travel trailer when I have the screens open. People are still walking up to it right next to where I am sitting and standing with their hands next to their eyes and mouth right against the screen to get a good look inside. Talk about rude behavior!!!
And that is when I am working on it in the parking lot outside the workshop, I am not even out camping. Just nosy people who are curious and bored.
A shot of pepper spray will correct both nosy and rude!
Old 10-31-2020, 12:01 PM   #16

SW Virginia
Chemical weapons are banned by the Geneva Convention.

Walt
Old 10-31-2020, 04:28 PM   #17

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Chemical weapons are banned by the Geneva Convention.

Walt
Weapons, yes, crowd control agents, no.
Old 10-31-2020, 04:52 PM   #18

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
I have a 6x6' Clam and use it mostly for myself. I put a smaller plastic folding table in there along with a folding table, footrest and camping chair. I either read in there or craft. I love creating cards with rubber stamped images, so I spend a great deal of time in there coloring the images. I can listen to the birds and watch critters go by while I'm in there.

I have had 3 folks in there at once, all in their camping chairs. But, nowadays, nope, not gonna happen.

I've also used it when vending at outdoor craft shows as it was a great way to get out of the sun (or rain) while my products were displayed under the EZ Up.

If anyone reading this thread is thinking of getting a Clam, I took the advice of someone at the fiberglass rally in Bandon a few years ago. I got the brown colored one which has a flap along the top that goes over the detachable side screen covers. If you don't have that flap, the rain can go straight down inside the Clam. The other colors of the Clam don't have this flap for some odd reason.

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
Old 10-31-2020, 05:07 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Weapons, yes, crowd control agents, no.

Quibble, if you must, but, I think it would be considered assault.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:30 AM   #20

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Quibble, if you must, but, I think it would be considered assault.
Perhaps in Canada where pepper spray is banned, but not in the US if one believes that the intruder is potentially dangerous. It would be assault if you walked up to someone in the street and sprayed it in their face for no reason. And when I made my second comment, I was only clarifying that pepper spray is not a weapon, it is a riot control agent and in the US where it is legal to possess, it is generally considered as a non-lethal defense mechanism. Furthermore, the Geneva Convention does not apply to the use of defensive deterrents by civilians; it applies to combatants in a combat situation.

And “quibble?” Seriously, Glenn? When I posted my original comment, I was joking and being sarcastic. Of all the people on this forum, YOU are the one who should readily recognize sarcasm.
Closed Thread