Oh Dear, This Has Me Dreaming - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 01:39 PM   #1

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Oh Dear, This Has Me Dreaming

Well, summer was not overly boring. I went on a few camping trips and was into riding my bike around the home country. Now is the winter of my discontent and I find myself daydreaming of trading up for a Scamp 19.

Fortunately, I think they now have a hundred year waiting list? My Casita will have to do....I think.

If I did get such a big trailer, there's the question of hauling the Ebike. Oh well.
Hope we can git vaccinated and git out again. It might be cheaper than doing something like ordering a trailer a hundred years in advance.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:00 AM   #2

Name: Kevin
Colorado
Might not be 100years

I was pleasantly surprised to find a Scamp 13 is currently only a 3 month wait list vs. the typical 6 months.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:38 AM   #3

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post

If I did get such a big trailer, there's the question of hauling the Ebike. Oh well.
Hope we can git vaccinated and git out again. It might be cheaper than doing something like ordering a trailer a hundred years in advance.
Thus the reason a fifth wheel would not work for me. I currently tow with an SUV, but my next tug will be a PU with a cap. We are only home about 100 days out of the year (excepting covid 2020). We spend 3.5 months at the same naturist resort in south Florida, 3.5 months at our camp in NY, and about 60 days traveling. Being away from home so much requires a lot of amenities and toys including two bikes. Loosing the PU bed space is simply not an option for me and is a problem expressed to me by others that own small fifth wheels.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:29 PM   #4

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Well, summer was not overly boring. I went on a few camping trips and was into riding my bike around the home country. Now is the winter of my discontent and I find myself daydreaming of trading up for a Scamp 19.

Fortunately, I think they now have a hundred year waiting list? My Casita will have to do....I think.

I'd stick with the Casita. Check out the problems with the drains etc in a Scamp. I think Casita has a far more superior quality product.
Old 11-16-2020, 03:51 PM   #5

Name: Nathan
Trailer: In the Market
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in Denver View Post
I was pleasantly surprised to find a Scamp 13 is currently only a 3 month wait list vs. the typical 6 months.
Where did you get this info? I talked to them mid Oct. and the waiting list was 14 months. Maybe you were confusing the year they promised?
Old 11-16-2020, 10:36 PM   #6

Colorado
14 month wait list for Scamps

Oh crap, you are correct.
Scamp needs an IPO to build a megafactory.
Old 11-16-2020, 10:37 PM   #7

Colorado
Nope, 14 month lead time, sorry
Old 11-17-2020, 08:09 AM   #8

Washington
My current desire has changed from a fifth wheel to a backyard sauna. Who knows what it will be tomorrow?
Old 11-18-2020, 01:27 PM   #9

Trailer: Miti Lite 1987
Carrying e-bikes

We bought folding 20" wheel ebikes and transport folded up in 50gal. wheeled storage container tubs. Then load the tubs and strap onto a cargo carrier plugged into a receiver hitch. Cover with bungee corded tarp and on our way.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:39 PM   #10

Name: Bonnie
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peder_y2k View Post
We bought folding 20" wheel ebikes ....
I had a few bicycles that turned out to have folding wheels....
Jon MB
Old 11-20-2020, 09:01 AM   #11

Washington
I have a folding e-bike. Then I got a much nicer ebike. I prefer the non-folder nice bike because it is very comfy and I don't feel all beat up after ten miles. It takes 30 plus miles to get that feeling on the nice bike.

I use a motorcycle ramp to get both bikes in the back of my Tacoma.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:21 AM   #12

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
We can carry two trikes and a bike with our Escape 5th wheel. One trike can ride in the pickup bed, another trike or two bikes on the back of the camper, and a bike in the back of the quad cab. If the only place you're willing to put a bike is in the pickup bed you've limited your choices, not the design of a 5th wheel.

Quote:
I have a folding e-bike. Then I got a much nicer ebike. I prefer the non-folder nice bike because it is very comfy and I don't feel all beat up after ten miles. It takes 30 plus miles to get that feeling on the nice bike.
I agree, most folding bikes can beat you to death. We couldn't even go 10 miles with a Brompton. We have a Tern Vektron S10 e-bike that Terry has no problems riding 60 plus miles. Research is key to buying a comfortable folding bike.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Old 11-21-2020, 06:43 AM   #13

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Wife and I have a couple of Rad City e-bikes. Mine is the 19" frame Rad City, and the wife has the 16" frame Rad City step-thru model. Both have 26" tires. Great bikes and super build quality. They are a bit heavy, tipping the scales at a tad over 60 Lbs. each, but they're better than most other brands I've seen out there. And their price point isn't bad either for such a well made bike.

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Rad City E-Bike.jpg  
Old 11-21-2020, 07:10 AM   #14

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
One advantage of a 5th wheel type trailer like the Scamp 19 is that they should be far less prone to getting the wiggles due to the sensitivity of behind the axle loading. Some of the space you might lose in the pickup bed due to the hitch can be made up for by using some sort of rack or box attached at the rear bumper of the trailer. Bikes or even ebikes should be easily hauled out back I would love to own a Scamp 19 but alas our modest retirement income means that our trusty Casita 16 will have to do.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:08 AM   #15

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I would never even consider putting my e-bikes on a trailer mounted rear rack. Besides, that is where my Stow-Away box sits. I wouldn't want to have $3,000 worth of bikes getting bounced around back there. They ride in luxury inside the cap on the pickup. (Also something you don't have the ability to do with a fifth wheel mount which takes up most useable space in the pickup bed.) Some people like the fifth wheel set-up, but to me those bed mounted hitches are a total space waster.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
I would never even consider putting my e-bikes on a trailer mounted rear rack. Besides, that is where my Stow-Away box sits. I wouldn't want to have $3,000 worth of bikes getting bounced around back there. They ride in luxury inside the cap on the pickup. (Also something you don't have the ability to do with a fifth wheel mount which takes up most useable space in the pickup bed.) Some people like the fifth wheel set-up, but to me those bed mounted hitches are a total space waster.
Is this going to turn into a 5th wheel vs pull-type thread?

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Old 11-21-2020, 12:43 PM   #17

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post

Enjoy,

Perry
I hope not as we all have different needs and expectations for our camping experience.
I'm reasonably certain a fifth wheel trailer has it's tow handling advantages as a pull behind has it's advantages for a different use of space. For me traveling away from home with my Snoozy more than 250 days a year it comes down to a lot more gear than just bicycles.
Also, while I really like the rear door on the Snoozy, it has it's disadvantages for back of trailer carrying capacity.
Old 11-21-2020, 02:28 PM   #18

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post

Enjoy,

Perry
I was thinking it was more of an "I'm going a bit crazy doing Covid avoidance this long and I find myself daydreaming." thread.

Like today, I've decided I better bite the bullet and get real snow tires for my pickup. Tires are a very dull thing to buy. I dislike the process.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:31 PM   #19

Name: Bonnie
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
... I wouldn't want to have $3,000 worth of bikes getting bounced around back there...
Nor do I. That's why the camping bicycles were purchased inspensively. Bonnie's was Craigslisted at $25. Mine was $75. Her's has needed another $10 for cables. Mine has "needed" about $100 of used parts at bike flea markets and swap meets. Not because the parts that were on it didn't work, but because, well, I "had" to mark my territory...

Jon MB
Old 11-22-2020, 04:54 PM   #20

When we're carrying two trikes, my $5,000+ trike rides on the back of our Escape 5th wheel . We've avid riders and a 40 mile ride is a nice day. We usually complete at least one century every year. Our trike rack is built like a tank and probably has well over 50,000 miles with the trike on the rack. We had another rack on the back of our Jayco 5th wheel that carried two $3,500 recumbents for probably 30,000+ miles.

I won't have a aluminum rack. Aluminum can't handle the constant vibration and the metal fails. I know of a couple of aluminum racks that failed ruining the bikes.

Some of the racks I've seen at campgrounds would never be allowed to carry our bikes. Most are sloppy, making the vibration 2-4 times worse. Many racks I've seen on the front camper hitch flex much more than our back rack.

Those who ride like we do understand that their bikes will only ride on a properly constructed rack. I inspect the hitch and rack before we leave every campground.

Enjoy,

Perry

Closed Thread