On the way home - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 07:34 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: BigFoot 25B25RT
Massachusetts
On the way home

Tampa to Denver to South Coast MA. I am West of St. Louis and I should be home by Sunday. I'm tired of driving!
Attached Thumbnails
WP_20200319_12_13_13_Rich.jpg  
Old 03-19-2020, 08:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
Tampa to Denver to South Coast MA. I am West of St. Louis and I should be home by Sunday. I'm tired of driving!
The more you hurry the worse it gets...
Relax, sit back, slowdown and enjoy the ride.
Get out every couple or three hours and walk around a bit.
Before you know it you will arrive home still rested.
God speed!
Old 03-20-2020, 09:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
I don't envy your trip back to MA. We just returned to GA from NH and traffic heading North was heavier than going South, I guess a lot of Canadians are headed back sooner than normal due to border restrictions and virus concerns. You might not have any traffic issues since you are headed East instead of North.
Rest areas in PA were completely closed when we came back but they have re-opened some yesterday with minimal facilities.
Take your time, at least you have your camper with you and will have a place to sit down and eat while most of the restaurants are serving take-out only.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Old 03-20-2020, 11:52 AM   #4

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
I think it goes " the hurrier I go the behinder I get ! "
Old 03-20-2020, 04:01 PM   #5

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The more you hurry the worse it gets...
Relax, sit back, slowdown and enjoy the ride.
Get out every couple or three hours and walk around a bit.
Before you know it you will arrive home still rested.
God speed!
You should get out at least every 2 hours for a few minutes to walk around to prevent blood clots in your legs. This is per medical recommendations.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:05 PM   #6

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Rest areas in PA were completely closed when we came back but they have re-opened some yesterday with minimal facilities.

Thanks for the heads up. The only rest stops I have seen closed in this trip have been all ripped up and under construction. I need one more rest stop on 84 East.

I stop every hour to hour and a half. One more full day and a short day.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:50 PM   #7

Massachusetts
The rest stops are pretty much closed across PA from 80E to 81N to 84E. One of the only ones open had pot-a-potties. Most were blocked at the entrance ramp.

I drove into NY before I found a place to stop.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:01 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I hope you can get a good night's sleep and a fresh start in the morning. You're almost there!
Old 03-23-2020, 03:35 AM   #9

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I hope you can get a good night's sleep and a fresh start in the morning. You're almost there!
I woke up at 4:00 wide awake. Burning gas by 4:30 home at 8:30. Over 4000 miles in a week and a day with an idle day getting the camper. I hope I am not in a situation that requires such insanity again

It was just me the truck, the RV and gas pump handles. I would go into the camper after filling up and wash my hands then back on the road. The only person I had contact with was the lady at trailer world and that was across a desk.

The state of Pennsylvania really pissed me off. Somebody didn't think that one through.
Old 03-23-2020, 07:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I woke up at 4:00 wide awake. Burning gas by 4:30 home at 8:30. Over 4000 miles in a week and a day with an idle day getting the camper. I hope I am not in a situation that requires such insanity again

It was just me the truck, the RV and gas pump handles. I would go into the camper after filling up and wash my hands then back on the road. The only person I had contact with was the lady at trailer world and that was across a desk.

The state of Pennsylvania really pissed me off. Somebody didn't think that one through.
Even after the best trip, it is always a great comfort to return home.
This time, that must go double for you.
Glad to hear you made it ok and can now relax a while.
Thanks for the follow up.
Old 03-23-2020, 09:37 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Glad you made it safely.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:03 PM   #12

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Glad you made it back home OK.

As Simon and Garfunkel would say, "Gee but it's great to be back home. Home is where I want to be".

Don't know when we'll be on the road again. Came back early from our cancelled Ireland trip (which including driving past those closed PA rest areas), planned to be in TX for both our Granddaughters first birthday, and the Bandera fiberglass rally, but that's cancelled. We usually camp at least once each month during the year but all our travels are on hold until we can get a handle on the COVID.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Old 03-25-2020, 04:29 PM   #13

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Now you can update your avatar reflecting your new fiberglass trailer....
Old 03-26-2020, 12:45 PM   #14

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Now you can update your avatar reflecting your new fiberglass trailer....
I tried doing that the other day and something went wrong. I'll have to do it again.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:18 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I'm also on the way home. Was hoping to hang out in Tennessee for a couple of weeks before heading back to NY, but they are closing the state park campgrounds Friday. I can't stop at my usual break at Hungry Mother State Park in VA because they are also closing their campgrounds on Friday. I made reservations at a couple of KOAs, and hope to hit upstate NY by late Monday.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:13 AM   #16

Name: Zelda
Trailer: In the market
Chicago
Don't sit too much, whenever you feel tired, stop and go outside for a walk
Old 03-28-2020, 09:14 AM   #17

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
I tried doing that the other day and something went wrong. I'll have to do it again.
Hi: ThomasC... Nice Bigfoot!!! You really put the "Pedal to the metal".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 03-28-2020, 09:43 AM   #18

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I'm also on the way home. ... and hope to hit upstate NY by late Monday.
At least you have the right idea. Get home. Stay home. Everyone.

What I am hearing now is there is a large exodus leaving New York City.
Those people are almost universally not thinking clearly. Not only do they put themselves at greater risk by leaving home, they make it possible for the virus to spread.

And so there are now check points with officers informing those from New York to quarantine themselves, adding to the panic.

Governments are even forbidding rentals for those leaving and hoping to rent a place outside of NY.

This is spiraling out of control. And "this" is not only the virus.
Governor Gina Raimondo reiterated Friday at her daily coronavirus press briefing an executive order announced the previous day that "anyone returning to Rhode Island after traveling from New York to Rhode Island by any mode of transportation ... must be in quarantine for 14 days."

"That is a law, it comes with penalties. It is not a suggestion. I also would like to remind people that we have members of the National Guard stationed every day all day at T.F. Green [Airport], at Amtrak train stations, at bus stops, collecting information from you when you get off, so we can put you in our contact tracing system and you are hereby ordered into quarantine for 14 days."

https://www.newsweek.com/rhode-islan...ndemic-1494818
Old 03-28-2020, 11:07 AM   #19

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post

Those people are almost universally not thinking clearly. Not only do they put themselves at greater risk by leaving home, they make it possible for the virus to spread.

And so there are now check points with officers informing those from New York to quarantine themselves, adding to the panic.

Governments are even forbidding rentals for those leaving and hoping to rent a place outside of NY.

Governor Gina Raimondo reiterated Friday at her daily coronavirus press briefing an executive order announced the previous day that "anyone returning to Rhode Island after traveling from New York to Rhode Island by any mode of transportation ... must be in quarantine for 14 days."

"That is a law, it comes with penalties. It is not a suggestion. I also would like to remind people that we have members of the National Guard stationed every day all day at T.F. Green [Airport], at Amtrak train stations, at bus stops, collecting information from you when you get off, so we can put you in our contact tracing system and you are hereby ordered into quarantine for 14 days."

I could see this sort of thing coming. That is why I was in Denver the day my BigFoot showed up. If I didn't get it right away who knows how long it would have taken.

I called Trailer World the other day and everyone there is still OK so I guess we didn't infect each other.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:09 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post

My brother is currently an out-of-work builder on Nantucket Island (35 miles off the coast of Cape Cod, MA.) The shut down all construction to help limit day traffic to the island.

Many New Yorkers have second homes on the island and are flocking to them. As long as no one gets sick, things are OK, but they have 3 confirmed Covid-19 cases on the island so far, and a 19 bed hospital. Once that is full, the only option is a $10,000+ helicopter ride to Boston, where they are also full.

I'm still heading home to upstate NY, and should be there by Monday. Just stayed at a Tennessee KOA where the campground was open, but the bathrooms locked.
Closed Thread