Pandemics - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 12:37 PM   #21

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Without looking anything up here’s what I remember. Jordan made cars in the 20s. They made cars with stylish lines that elicited a feeling of adventure. I saw a Jordan on display at the Harrah’s museum many years ago when I was in Reno. There was a copy of one of the ads that they had used in a frame on a post there. It caught my eye. It depicted a speeding Jordan convertible on a western road racing I believe a horse. The copy started out “Somewhere west of Laramie” and went on to extoll the excitement the owner of a Jordan could expect like you’d get in the wide expanses of the west. I took a couple slides at the time and later read up on the company and the advertising they did. Later when my daughter was in the Fisher School of business at Ohio State I discussed the ad with her. She indicated that well written copy like this ad had and the artwork was still discussed in classes 80 plus years later. I’ve seen a few Jordan’s since then. The beauty of classic cars, the workmanship and the unique designs fascinate me. I’m also a Wyoming enthusiast having camped in many locations, fished in its creeks and lakes and enjoyed the freedom of “Big, Wonderful, Wyoming. Hence my reference to the Jordan ad. I always quote that opening sentence
when I’m Somewhere West of
Laramie. Yeah I know sappy, but it’s me.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-24-2020, 01:39 PM   #22

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
This
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_2020-03-24 jordan somewhere west of laramie - Google Search.jpg  
Old 03-24-2020, 01:45 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Good work Shelby.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:00 PM   #24

Iowa
Printed ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Good work Shelby.
Hi Glenn
Did you like the ad? I read it again today and to me it just gets better with time.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-24-2020, 02:21 PM   #25

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
It's held up pretty well, I'd say. Wonder if it was considered risque at the time?
Old 03-24-2020, 02:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Glenn
Did you like the ad? I read it again today and to me it just gets better with time.
Iowa Dave

Love it. Feel like I have a boot up on the bar rail and a whisky in my hand, and I don't even like whisky.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:34 PM   #27
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Quote:
I'm a preacher's kid, so I had my fill of church ( three times every Sunday ). But, I sometimes attend the Christmas Eve service. The last time I did, I scanned the church parking lot and was stunned by the number of Buicks present. Who buys a Buick? Obviously members of the congregation put their faith in one who is a car salesman. There is no other explanation.
I drive a Buick but haven’t gone to church in years except the odd wedding or funeral so not sure on the connection but just might start back up to be on the safe side.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:55 PM   #28

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Love it. Feel like I have a boot up on the bar rail and a whisky in my hand, and I don't even like whisky.
Don't like whisky? What's up with that! Nectar of the gods and all that. Just don't chase it with hot coffee when camping. Little water from the canteen will work a whole lot better.

The concept of building "world cars" is why cars look so much alike as the tooling and style has to be one that will have an appeal in many markets. I miss the cars that had more creativity put into their styling. Can't say they had more rust out spots or place that failed prematurely than the ones today.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:02 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Here's the "possibly true" back story. Anyway, I read it on the Internet!

Quote:
The 41-year-old car maker and a colleague from the company rode a Union Pacific passenger train. As the train was passing through southern Wyoming, Jordan glanced out the window. There, in the waning sunset, he saw a beautiful young woman riding her horse alongside the train for a short distance, as if to race the locomotive. The sight so impressed Jordan that he turned to his companion and asked where they were. “Somewhere west of Laramie,” was the reply.
https://ahcwyo.org/2016/06/21/somewh...st-of-laramie/

Old 03-24-2020, 03:28 PM   #30

Iowa
Origin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Here's the "possibly true" back story. Anyway, I read it on the Internet!

https://ahcwyo.org/2016/06/21/somewh...st-of-laramie/
I think I had read that somewhere too. That’s why I was a little confused on what was racing what. I’ve taken a lot of mind pictures in my day and at this state there’s some inventory mixups. I’ve seen a few “one time” images that stuck in my mind, and the really good ones are in a “do not muddle” file where I can remember the day, date and location. Others are a little more fleeting. Such is life. These days they do occur less frequently and, maybe unfortunately, I usually have the phone camera with me to “remember”. Or maybe it’s good. Time will tell
Iowa Dave
Old 03-24-2020, 05:38 PM   #31

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
Ever drove in Italy, Spain, Portugal? I have! As you are traveling along you will smell sewer smells as you get nearer you will see why. They are using lagoons for sewage. They will be overgrown with cattails and weeds lagoons have to have lots of care. I own one they have to be kept clean of weeds and such or they will get smelly.

Another thing I noticed used tp is put in open small trash cans in all public places. I am supposing the tp overcomes their lagaoons thus this? All this stuff is leading to their problems.

Not good

bob
Same way with toilet paper in Peru. I was told that their drain pipes are too narrow and TP will clog them. No idea if the Europeans do it for the same reason or a different one.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:34 PM   #32

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Well I'm glad I gave up trying to figure it out on my own...
And I am glad you asked the question. Always there is something new to learn about the culture of this great land.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:55 PM   #33

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Pandemics

Buicks have traditionally sold best among an older demographic. Some churches seem to attract a similar crowd. My own church is mostly Toyotas, so perhaps you’d feel more at home, Glenn. [emoji6]

After requesting a change from a rather dingy Dodge Journey for a summer road trip last year, the rental agent offered an inexpensive upgrade to a brand new (under 1000 miles) Buick Enclave with four leather captains chairs. I swallowed my pride and took it. It was a luxurious 3000 miles!
Old 03-24-2020, 10:15 PM   #34

As a kid, I bought Car Craft, Hot Rod, Car and Driver, Motor Trend and Sports Car Illustrated. It never occurred to me to buy a Buick. Still doesn't.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:29 PM   #35

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Jordan had a stroke of genius selling emotion, instead of specs. While riding along on the train, and experiencing the vastness of the West, those kinds of thoughts are likely to happen.

Sometimes the imagination runs wild, visions related to the time, inspire. A clarity comes when there is nothing else to do. But it can seem impossible to adequately describe the emotions of the moment. He captured an emotion and captured an audience.

I tend to dig into specs and look at the mechanical design of things, the efficiency, the practicality, etc. But what sells is image, emotion.

One of my favorite stories is about crossing Nevada in the middle of the night. A one way journey for a passenger. A journey she was exited about, gazing eagerly out the window, then dozing as the miles turned into hours. She had a sincerity that made her vulnerable, captivating, and disarming. The night was filled with a constance of motion that seemed to stand still. A slow motion crossing of one vast valley after another. Deep into the night, it was hard to tell if the car was moving forward, or standing still with the globe majestically rotating underneath. The miles clicked on and on.

The high desert has a magic that is hard to describe. Vast. Quiet. Timeless. I could so easily chat with ancient residents of this timeless place, as we looked at the same scenery. But they are long gone.

I'd like to convey the emotions related to fleeting moments in time, but my command of the language is so limited. Funny how simply observing the night, as the quiet highway moves relentlessly by, and as I remember this is a one way journey, fills me to bursting with a desire to share. How can writing be worth it though, if the same emotions cannot be felt by the reader?

It seems Jordan had a similar experience. A fleeting imagined moment changed his life, and is still talked about today.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:32 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
I'd like to convey the emotions related to fleeting moments in time, but my command of the language is so limited.

Bull. That's poetry.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:50 PM   #37

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
As a kid, I bought Car Craft, Hot Rod, Car and Driver, Motor Trend and Sports Car Illustrated. It never occurred to me to buy a Buick. Still doesn't.
Yep. And just when we were convinced that Buicks were stogy couches for sedate travel by the elderly, they stuffed an aluminum, turbocharged V-6 into a beautiful black coupe and called it the Grand National. Those things would press you back into the seat for as long as you dared to stand on the loud pedal.

Their work developing the V-6 into a practical design, which was not easy, helped lead to what we see today across many manufacturers. Jeep used it. Land Rover bought the design and is still using it.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:00 AM   #38

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Bull. That's poetry.
Thanks Glenn
Old 03-25-2020, 12:06 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Yep. And just when we were convinced that Buicks were stogy couches for sedate travel by the elderly, they stuffed an aluminum, turbocharged V-6 into a beautiful black coupe and called it the Grand National.

There are some great stories of auto executives and testosterone. I wonder what the back story is for the Grand National.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:23 AM   #40

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
There are some great stories of auto executives and testosterone. I wonder what the back story is for the Grand National.
I've wondered that too. A completely different kind of image. And a lot of development in engine design, for an unknown reason.

During the period when I was repeatedly visiting China, it seemed the most popular car there was a Shanghai GM Buick Regal. They were everywhere. Around that time, China became the second largest market for GM cars, and I don't remember seeing any models other than the Regal.