Pandemics - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 03:29 PM   #1

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
Pandemics

While everyone is sitting around quarantined and getting cabin fever you might as well go over to wikipedia and read about pandemics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandemic
Old 03-22-2020, 03:47 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I was reading up on race horses and jockeys today. I watched the Black STallion on TV today. That and life jackets, after a guy drowned over on the Mississippi walleye fishing too close to the dam. Had a life jacket but wasn’t wearing it. Been snowing in Eastern Iowa for a couple hours so not that enjoyable to be out. About a 10 mile an hour wind out of the SE.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-23-2020, 01:46 AM   #3

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I was reading up on race horses and jockeys today. I watched the Black STallion on TV today. That and life jackets, after a guy drowned over on the Mississippi walleye fishing too close to the dam. Had a life jacket but wasn’t wearing it. Been snowing in Eastern Iowa for a couple hours so not that enjoyable to be out. About a 10 mile an hour wind out of the SE.
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... Just found out it snowed here too. Thinking of a song... Ice o late... Ice o late... dance to the music!!!
My grandfathers first wife died in the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918, while he was overseas fighting the war. What a thing to come home to!!! Are we even going to see the splendor of the Falls this Septemember at Niagara Wine Escape 2020
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 03-23-2020, 07:34 AM   #4

Iowa
Hi Alf
Good to hear from you. Our American Treasure Neil Diamond has reworked Sweet Caroline to fit these uncertain days. I’m getting a little disgusted by the winers around the country who can’t seem to understand the situation but I guess it’s to be expected, lots of them complain even in the best of times. My mother was born on Jan 2, 1919 out in the country . That was during the Flu epidemic. She lived a good long life and never looked back. She knew all about wining though, grape wine, rhubarb wine, dandelion wine and Elderberry wine. Wild plum brandy too. Looking forward to the Falls in the fall. Hope it’s a good year for garden, ought to have plenty of time.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-23-2020, 09:15 AM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I was reading that even during the 1918 flu Pittsburg decided to hold a parade. Their cases of the flu where a great deal more numerous than other parts of the country that stopped doing large gatherings.

We humans are an interesting lot. Some will be scared and hardly open the door. Others doing what we do so well and will figure out a "good" excuse for whatever outing they desire.

It snowed and the governor is putting in place a close if not essential and stay home order. She is probably correct the hit to the economy and the death toll will be worse if we don't.

I have hundreds of photo prints I can scan of past family gatherings and vacations. And can work from home to a large extent.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:30 AM   #6

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
The flu isn't the only ailment that makes for good reading. I especially enjoyed this book about yellow fever https://www.amazon.com/American-Plag...=UTF8&me=&qid=
Old 03-23-2020, 10:40 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
sort of disappointed

Well New York has called out the National Guard who knows what is going to happen here in Mo? I look for no movement after 10pm without a reasonable reason. Our major cities are on lock down, at a time when we need church none are open!

I guess we all need to hunker down, I don't need to be out running around. I wanted to go camping but state parks are now closed, fishing is even discouraged!

My water line has a leak of all things so I guess we need to work on priorities and hope for the best!

At 78 I have sort of considered every day a bonus as I see so many classmates now going.

Everyone stay warm and dry today

bob
Old 03-23-2020, 11:32 AM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
Well New York has called out the National Guard who knows what is going to happen here in Mo? I look for no movement after 10pm without a reasonable reason. Our major cities are on lock down, at a time when we need church none are open!

I guess we all need to hunker down, I don't need to be out running around. I wanted to go camping but state parks are now closed, fishing is even discouraged!

My water line has a leak of all things so I guess we need to work on priorities and hope for the best!

At 78 I have sort of considered every day a bonus as I see so many classmates now going.

Everyone stay warm and dry today

bob
Good post Bob.

Take care
Old 03-23-2020, 12:08 PM   #9

Name: Scott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alaska
Quote:
Iowa Dave

We were camped out along the upper end of Lake Roosevelt in Kettle Falls Campground (I think this is the name of the federal campground) in 2013. We watched this small boat from the high cliffs heading north trolling. The long fisherman stood up fell in. No PFD on nor did he have the kill switch attached to his body. I ran back to our camper tried to call but no signal. Found camp host the altered the park officials etc. People on the Kettle Falls Bridge state Highway 20 saw the guy swimming but he eventually slipped beneath the surface. They never found his body as far as I know.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:15 PM   #10

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Beyond the obvious emphasis on community, most religions also have a tradition of isolation and solitary reflection. Well, here you go. Make the most of it
Old 03-23-2020, 01:22 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Beyond the obvious emphasis on community, most religions also have a tradition of isolation and solitary reflection. Well, here you go. Make the most of it

Can't sell Buicks if you don't attend church.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:36 PM   #12

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
While everyone is sitting around quarantined and getting cabin fever you might as well go over to wikipedia and read about pandemics:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandemic
That's a good read, thanks. I just checked out a few parts of it, will have to return to it tomorrow.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:48 AM   #13

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Can't sell Buicks if you don't attend church.
I don't get the reference. Explain! I've been trying to work it out but I'm suffering from a lack of imagination.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:11 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'm a preacher's kid, so I had my fill of church ( three times every Sunday ). But, I sometimes attend the Christmas Eve service. The last time I did, I scanned the church parking lot and was stunned by the number of Buicks present. Who buys a Buick? Obviously members of the congregation put their faith in one who is a car salesman. There is no other explanation.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:47 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I'm a preacher's kid, so I had my fill of church ( three times every Sunday ). But, I sometimes attend the Christmas Eve service. The last time I did, I scanned the church parking lot and was stunned by the number of Buicks present. Who buys a Buick? Obviously members of the congregation put their trust in one who is a car salesman. There is no other explanation.
We recently attended a funeral for one of our neighbors and I too noticed a lot of new Buicks in the church parking lot
I attribute that to the fact that most of the people at the services were senior citizens who are smart , savvy consumers .
Old 03-24-2020, 10:59 AM   #16

Iowa
Buick

Quote:
Iowa Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We recently attended a funeral for one of our neighbors and I too noticed a lot of new Buicks in the church parking lot
I attribute that to the fact that most of the people at the services were senior citizens who are smart , savvy consumers .
There have been literally thousands of slogans in the car sales industry over the last century plus. I can remember some remarkable endeavors with my dad that would, as that old straight 8 backed down, and he said “When better automobiles are built, Buick will build them”. That and the Packard and Jordan slogans are my favorites. Packard “ Ask the man who drives (or owns) one. And the Jordan advertisement that starts with “Somewhere West of Laramie” which is still studied in business schools today.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-24-2020, 11:06 AM   #17

Montana
Well I'm glad I gave up trying to figure it out on my own...
Old 03-24-2020, 11:12 AM   #18

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
The flu isn't the only ailment that makes for good reading. I especially enjoyed this book about yellow fever https://www.amazon.com/American-Plag...=UTF8&me=&qid=
People know of yellow fever from the Panama canal story, but few know that in Birmingham yellow fever and malaria along with malaise from poor sanitation kept the steel mills from being productive. Tennessee Coal and Iron (TCI).
TCI built a hospital to fight the disease. It was headed by Lloyd Noland who was the main doctor behind the breakthroughs that broke the cycle of infection.

Lloyd Noland | Encyclopedia of Alabama

https://www.al.com/spotnews/2009/06/..._lives_re.html
Old 03-24-2020, 12:13 PM   #19

Missouri
excuse me

Dave I have no idea what a Jordon slogan is. Can you tell me I think I heard of the Buick one but we were Plymouth owners! LOL

thanks

bob

Quote:
There have been literally thousands of slogans in the car sales industry over the last century plus. I can remember some remarkable endeavors with my dad that would, as that old straight 8 backed down, and he said “When better automobiles are built, Buick will build them”. That and the Packard and Jordan slogans are my favorites. Packard “ Ask the man who drives (or owns) one. And the Jordan advertisement that starts with “Somewhere West of Laramie” which is still studied in business schools today.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-24-2020, 12:33 PM   #20

Missouri
ever drove

Ever drove in Italy, Spain, Portugal? I have! As you are traveling along you will smell sewer smells as you get nearer you will see why. They are using lagoons for sewage. They will be overgrown with cattails and weeds lagoons have to have lots of care. I own one they have to be kept clean of weeds and such or they will get smelly.

Another thing I noticed used tp is put in open small trash cans in all public places. I am supposing the tp overcomes their lagaoons thus this? All this stuff is leading to their problems.

Not good

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
People know of yellow fever from the Panama canal story, but few know that in Birmingham yellow fever and malaria along with malaise from poor sanitation kept the steel mills from being productive. Tennessee Coal and Iron (TCI).
TCI built a hospital to fight the disease. It was headed by Lloyd Noland who was the main doctor behind the breakthroughs that broke the cycle of infection.

Lloyd Noland | Encyclopedia of Alabama

https://www.al.com/spotnews/2009/06/..._lives_re.html
Closed Thread