Premade Masks? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 04:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Premade Masks?

I am wondering if anyone here has purchased pre made masks that they like?

I have tried several now and so far have really only learned that I must have a sort of Melon Head or at least a Melon Face as the masks that I have tried simply do not cover my face where they need to?

There is also the fogging of glasses feature that is a curse to some of us and I have no plans to apply anything foreign to my glasses to prevent this and there must be some masks out there with good enough design to prevent or minimize the fogging and I think I might have already gotten one but have not had enough time to really shake it down yet and see for sure.
It would be a huge breakthrough for me if this one works!

There is little info about sizes and sizing out there and a lot of masks seem to be represented as "one size fits most" but just not Melon Faces like Eds!
None of them can be returned or exchanged it seems and for pretty obvious reasons too but so far it has been just shooting in the dark trying to find ones that might work but with little real success.

I also do not want to talk about making masks here please,I will not be doing this and there are plenty of other places where this is the topic.

So anyone have any that they would buy again?
Old 05-01-2020, 04:18 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
One reason some don't advise wearing a mask is that people don't know how to fit it to their face. Must be instructions somewhere.
I wear a scrap-fabric mask my daughter made, but that only helps shield others from me. To keep me safe, I stay at home / or keep six feet away from others.
I just filled in my "No CPR" form. Have to send to my doctor and keep a copy at home.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:47 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
You need one with a nose wire to have it not fog your glasses. It works! If you have a cloth mask you can poke a bendable wire through a little hole make it big enough to curve over your nose and centered at the center- and you'll have one.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:11 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
you need a size XL face mask. Just add XL or even XXL to your keyword search and you will get out of that one-size-fits-all version of face masks.

There are a lot of sellers on Etsy selling ready made face masks that they produce themselves. You could even ask a seller to make you one that is a size larger than the standard if they don't have one on offer. Just look to see if they have a "custom order" button you can select to communicate what you would like them to make for you.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:16 PM   #5

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
I use a disposable mask from Amazon that has a nose wire. I’d say it’s maybe 90% effective in stopping glasses fog. The other 10% I get by sliding my glasses down my nose to get them away from the “exhaust”. Works pretty good for me.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:34 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Dipping your glasses in water with dish soap in it before wearing your mask is supposed to work. It made it better for me at least.

CindyL
Old 05-20-2020, 06:59 AM   #7

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Full Burka Masks!

I'd go this route but when I put the veil on over my straw hat I look like a flying saucer on a pedestal.

Old 05-30-2020, 03:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Ed, if your skin can tolerate it you could use tape between the top of the mask and your face. I need to use micropore. I have made several types of masks, use furnace filter between layers. I have not been able to reproduce a decent nose wire. Tried coffee bag sealers, pipe cleaners, etc. I think there is some type of double sided tape ER docs tried early on when masks were few and far between. For those using dish soap do not use Dawn. We were warned about Dawn at an eyeglass place. We have always used dish soap on our glasses, never a problem. We use Joy.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:42 PM   #9

I replaced the pipe cleaner, in the mask my daughter made, with 19 gauge stainless steel wire I bought years ago at a hardware store. Stiff enough to hold the shape it is conformed to.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:44 PM   #10

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
My wife made some masks with the wire that tie behind and I don't like them, so I bought this on Amazon:

Allett Face Mask (Green) - 2 Pack. $25.00

Wife is upset with me, naturally.

As Allen said, put the metal nose piece as high as you can and your eyeglass nose piece on top and somewhat down on the nose. Voilà! no more fogging.

Unfortunately, however, I prefer to wear my eyeglasses far up on the bridge of my nose, so this is a bit uncomfortable, but better than fogging.

And don't forget these masks don't protect you, they protect others from your breath droplets; so maintain distance, wash hands and don't touch your face.

It is very hard to not touch the mask or face so I also have face shields, which, by the way, do protect you to some degree, rather than protect others from your breath. And the face shield really helps to stop touching the face.
Old 07-12-2020, 01:58 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead517 View Post
I use a disposable mask from Amazon that has a nose wire. I’d say it’s maybe 90% effective in stopping glasses fog. The other 10% I get by sliding my glasses down my nose to get them away from the “exhaust”. Works pretty good for me.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:04 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
While the general debate continues about the use or effectiveness of face masks,the fact remains that they are required in many places... Rational or not.
I get two free masks from each discarded T-shirt in a variety of colors!
Simply cut the sleeves off just above the shoulder seam and VIOLA' Free mask
no sewing no prep and they wear comfortably around your neck when not needed. wear it with the hem over the bridge of the nose.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:07 PM   #13

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Three things: the mask should fit so that when you breathe in and out the fabric or other material rises and falls (except a solid form mask).

Second, you can prevent glasses fogging using a piece of medical tape to fasten the top of the mask to your nose. Works like a charm. It still has to fit around your face.

Three: I tried some disposable surgical ones, and they fit better when the ear loops go over two buttons I put on my cap than when I try to put them over my ears (where they won't stay) Might be worth trying the buttons to see if it changes the fit of a mask. (Or they sell some kinds of headband things for the same purpose.)
Old 07-12-2020, 06:18 PM   #14

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Not pre made. Sorry OT. For those who sew have you seen the fabricpatch.net video and many sizes patterns, The Jesse Killian Mask? I have not made one of these yet. Was disgusted when several of the ones I made did not fit my husband correctly.

Video is on you tube

If that link does not work go to fabricpatch.net. Click on masks. Click on the Jesse Killian mask.

Also she talks about the middle layer being Oly-Fun. Good luck finding any in stock. I took apart a shopping bag 100% polypropolene, washed it and think I will give that a try. Not all shopping bags are the same thickness, one of mine seemed better than others. Anyone with connections to the medical field would want to get hold of Halyard h600. They throw this away after sterilizing instruments. It is what surgical masks are made of I think.

I think it is around 13:50 where she says how to measure for which size pattern to use.

Nancy
Old 08-15-2020, 01:02 PM   #15

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Wear your mask, and you'll....
Attached Thumbnails
Great01.jpg  
Old 08-15-2020, 01:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Wear your mask, and you'll....

And, people won't notice all your missing teeth.
Old 11-11-2020, 07:39 AM   #17

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Ed, if your skin can tolerate it you could use tape between the top of the mask and your face. I need to use micropore. I have made several types of masks, use furnace filter between layers. I have not been able to reproduce a decent nose wire. Tried coffee bag sealers, pipe cleaners, etc. I think there is some type of double sided tape ER docs tried early on when masks were few and far between. For those using dish soap do not use Dawn. We were warned about Dawn at an eyeglass place. We have always used dish soap on our glasses, never a problem. We use Joy.

I have worn prescription glasses since about age 10. I am 72. All opticians I have bought glasses from recommend Dawn. Others may be ok also, just nothing with lotion or with citrus chemicals. However, I buy new glasses every 2 years these days.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:38 AM   #18

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I wear this mask that I got at Blaine's Farm and Fleet. Not pretty but easy to breathe and it has built-in foam that keeps my glasses from fogging up.

RZ
M2 Large Black Air Filter Mask

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
mask.jpg  
Old 11-11-2020, 09:45 AM   #19

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Custom Masks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
I am wondering if anyone here has purchased pre made masks that they like?
So anyone have any that they would buy again?
Want something different? From a lead here, I ordered from Cafepress.
They are just normal sized, but something different.
Attached Thumbnails
MASKS - both.jpg  
Old 11-11-2020, 10:37 AM   #20

Tennessee
I have one similar to what CindyL posted. I wear glasses and also hearing aids. The mask I have has ear loops but primarily a velcro wrap around the neck. I don't use the ear loops and it sets on the face just fine. A minor but real negatives is the nose piece is rather thick and causes my glasses to set either too fart from my eyes or up a bit up too much, so I wind up adjusting it way too often.

On Amazon:
Colbiz Dust Face Mask Reusable with 10 Activated Carbon Filters Protective Face Masks, Adjustable Breathable Sports Mask