Reality help check - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 06:59 AM   #1

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Reality help check

The snake ain't going away any time soon. Time to smell the coffee, because, Like it or not, the enemy is now in the wire. This 'could' help those who think they MIGHT go camping ...next year.
Attached Thumbnails
makeamask.jpg  
Old 04-04-2020, 10:21 AM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Am I the only one here who has seen people with masks wearing them under the Nose!?!?!

Talk about Rocket Surgeons.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:41 AM   #3

Name: Jo
Trailer: Scamp 16
Iowa
Yup!
Old 04-04-2020, 11:13 AM   #4

New Mexico
Registry
Re: "Now that IS funny..."

Oh, Roseanna.... .
Attached Thumbnails
rosanna.jpg  
Old 04-04-2020, 11:29 AM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
Now that IS funny!
Or another case of alternate reality?
Old 04-04-2020, 12:26 PM   #6

So I am starting to see places with the masks for sale and I just ordered some myself.

autoanything is selling masks made by cob=ver kraft that seem pretty nice and feature rich too and they will donate a set for every set they sell as well!

These have a replaceable filter layer and are washable and if the other products that they make are any indication these will be nicely made masks.

Mine are also ready to ship on Monday I am told.

Just an FYI
Old 04-04-2020, 04:42 PM   #7

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Am I the only one here who has seen people with masks wearing them under the Nose!?!?!

Nope I was at the grocery store before the order to wear masks came down and a mother and her young boy was wearing theirs under their noses. She was telling him to keep it on. I had to laugh since that was pretty useless.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:23 PM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Nope I was at the grocery store before the order to wear masks came down and a mother and her young boy was wearing theirs under their noses. She was telling him to keep it on. I had to laugh since that was pretty useless.
So being children, they touch everything, and then handle their mask, then do it all again and again. Thats one of the reasons that masks had not been recommended for healthy people. It can actually increase the number of times you might touch your face with contaminated hands. Another one is the situation I ran into yesterday. The mask caused my exhale to fog up my glasses so bad in the cold outdoor air that I was blinded, and I needed to remove my mask long enough to let my glasses clear up so I could see what I was doing.

See, when you don a mask you first should wash your hands. Then when you remove the mask you should wash your hands first since they will be at your nose and mouth, and then again after you handle the possibly contaminated mask. If you plan to reuse the mask, you should disinfect it, and that means washing you hands again.

Similarly, putting on gloves with dirty hands can move the virus to the gloves. Failure to wash your hands after removing contaminated gloves can leave your hands contaminated (although there is a technique to remove gloves without touching the outside of them).

Health care workers and first responders get trained on the proper way to use PPE to combat COVID-19. The fact that the CDC is now telling lay people without the training to use face coverings speaks to the extremely contagious nature of the virus.

So please think about it as you use masks or gloves. Think about how one surface or body part can transfer the virus to another, and try to prevent it.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:33 PM   #9

My glasses fog instantly with almost any mask [emoji40]
Old 04-04-2020, 05:54 PM   #10

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
As I understand it, the primary reason you should wear a mask is not to protect yourself from the virus, but to protect others. You may be carrying the virus, but asymptomatic. Each breath you exhale propels microdroplets of moisture out into the surrounding air, where it floats for a period of time. The mask intercepts these microdroplets.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:56 PM   #11

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongelander View Post
As I understand it, the primary reason you should wear a mask is not to protect yourself from the virus, but to protect others. ...
That is correct. But you still should use the mask in a proper way so you don't increase your chances of exposure.

As in most things.. its more complicated than it first seems. There is much talk about N95 masks and how they are needed by medical staff first.

But what is a N95 mask, and are they all the same?

No, they are not. See: https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...o-consider.pdf
Old 04-04-2020, 06:42 PM   #12

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
So being children, they touch everything, and then handle their mask, then do it all again and again. Thats one of the reasons that masks had not been recommended for healthy people. It can actually increase the number of times you might touch your face with contaminated hands. Another one is the situation I ran into yesterday. The mask caused my exhale to fog up my glasses so bad in the cold outdoor air that I was blinded, and I needed to remove my mask long enough to let my glasses clear up so I could see what I was doing.

See, when you don a mask you first should wash your hands. Then when you remove the mask you should wash your hands first since they will be at your nose and mouth, and then again after you handle the possibly contaminated mask. If you plan to reuse the mask, you should disinfect it, and that means washing you hands again.

Similarly, putting on gloves with dirty hands can move the virus to the gloves. Failure to wash your hands after removing contaminated gloves can leave your hands contaminated (although there is a technique to remove gloves without touching the outside of them).

Health care workers and first responders get trained on the proper way to use PPE. The fact that the CDC is now telling lay people without the training to use face coverings speaks to the extremely contagious nature of the virus.

So please think about it as you use masks or gloves. Think about how one surface or body part can transfer the virus to another, and try to prevent it.
I figured out how to put a man's big handkerchief folded over in thirds over my nose and mouth with elastic pinned to each side to hold it together which ends up on the back of my head like a mans cap. They are soft cotton and I can put it under my glasses almost up to my eyes and if done just right it doesn't fog my glasses since they fit tighter than a mask. As far as gloves we learned a long time ago how to remove them since we use them for dumping our holding tanks. We buy the cheap ones from Harbor Freight and never reuse them. I think it is stupid to use heavy gloves over and over when dumping. All you do is handle yucky stuff on your gloves and haul it all over while traveling then getting it on your hands again when you dump again when you put the gloves back on. So we learned to just pull the gloves inside out by barely touching the wrist area and holding the removed one in the hand with the glove still on it and pulling that one inside out to remove it. All you might touch is a spot on your wrist then you can open your doors and wash your hands without getting yuck on the door handle. Maybe this will help some of you with glasses and how to keep your hands clean when removing gloves.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:50 PM   #13

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
if you are having fogged glasses you can do two things.

The first is to add a strip of soft foam to the upper area of the mask. All the N95 mask have that strip of foam.

The second thing to do is apply rub the anit-fogging products onto your lenses. You will need to apply it after everytime you wash the lenses. If you have antireflective coating on the lenses of your eyeglasses be sure to use a compatible product so you don't damage that lens coating.

I am lucky to share shop space with a product designer, as it often happens when working on projects he walked into the back room and came out with the needed item. In this case he had a big roll of adhesive backed foam of the right type and softness. In fact a perfect match for the foam that was in the 2 N95 masks we had on hand. I put on two layers of foam on the inside of the nose bridge area of a standard workshop dust mask and it significantly reduced the fogging issue.

But I also ordered a bottle of spray on anti-fog solution. Very handy to have in the winter time as well as in the summer when you have been in an air conditioned space and then go outside into the warm humid air.
Old 04-11-2020, 01:47 PM   #14

Name: Robert
Trailer: Looking
Washington, D.C.
Surgical masks have a metal clip that goes across the bridge of the nose. Push that down tight and it will prevent your breath from fogging your glasses.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertW View Post
Surgical masks have a metal clip that goes across the bridge of the nose. Push that down tight and it will prevent your breath from fogging your glasses.
Really?
I have only been wearing masks for 40+ years when working as needed and regardless of the type of mask they always fog my glasses as long as they are sealed properly.
If loose then it is easier to shoot hot breath downwards but that just does not really let the mask do its job either.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:55 PM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
My wife sewed several masks cut out of bandanas and filter material from micro filtration vacuum cleaner bags. They too fogged my glasses until she sewed in a nose bridge made from a twistee from a coffee bag. After bending the twistee to fit my nose there was no more fogging.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:19 PM   #17

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Thanks for the tip Ed. I just ordered a set and paid the modest surcharge for overnight, which I guess means Monday now.
In the meantime I've been wearing a homemade mask made from a bandana and rubber bands.
BTW, a small point, but wearing a mask under the nose isn't quite so bad for protecting others from you. It prevents the larger droplets which are the biggest concern and come primarily from the mouth, and greatly reduces the fine particles as well. Still not the best or smartest though.

Walt
Old 04-12-2020, 11:31 AM   #18

Name: Renae
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post

Yes, wearing it on their neck, lol.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:06 AM   #19

New Mexico
Registry
No masque señor?

I wanted to take the trailer out today and go camping someplace. But all the campgrounds in my state are closed, even the free ones. Like Yogi said, no one goes there anymore. Seems everyone is sheltering in place. Well, not everyone. It wasn’t going to stop me.

I hooked up the trailer and pulled out looking for somewhere to tow. Ah, the freedom! So good to be on the road again. But where to go? First, drove over to the gas station and filled up. As usual, the attendant was inside his sealed glass cubicle with the sliding tray for taking cash, or handing out a receipt when the self-serve pumps were out of paper. He didn’t need a mask. I had mine on.

Seemed next like a good idea to park at the super market on the other side of the lot, go get some food and drinks for today’s trip. The lot was nearly filled. You never know what might not be open these days. I was amazed at how many customers in there were not wearing masks. True, in this state we do have the lowest ratio of virus related deaths. Nothing of course, compared to the “red” states. By red I mean the ones indicating hot spots colored red on maps. We are more a very light beige. At least, today.

At the moment there may be over 50 thousand deaths nationwide but there is no physical devastation to see, and though that stat seems pretty widespread it’s all behind closed doors. Unlike a Hollywood earthquake, pretty much invisible.

Regardless, you’d think folks would think not taking a chance would be the wise move. These days the person most likely to harm you could be your neighbor, or friend, or the guy you bought gas from. Did you disinfect that receipt? There evidently is no shortage here of defiant, independent thinkers. Bless their hearts, like to think I’m one of them. But, my mask is on, and proud of it. No choice there, I'm old, but not that old school. Anyway, dear one made it for me. She washes it every day.

This would be solo trip. A day trip, just me and my Escape. Thought a nice drive north into the mountains would work.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:19 AM   #20

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I've been very surprised to see the number of masks in my area lately. You're not quite, but almost in the minority if you don't have one on. We've had one positive case (that we know of) in the county, and only 400-ish (that we know of) in the state. And apart from the usual "urban" areas, we're a red (politically) state. So while I completely agree we should be wearing masks, it surprises me how many people are wearing them all the same.
Closed Thread