Spring Rallies, Covid and a Poll - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > COVID-19 RVing Information
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: If CDC safety precautions are in place (masking, distancing)
I would participate in a potluck regardless of the vaccination status of others. 19 33.33%
I would safely socialize and bring my own food to eat. 27 47.37%
I would not participate in a potluck. 11 19.30%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2021, 01:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Spring Rallies, Covid and a Poll

Several of us have spring rallies coming up quickly. To help with the planning stage (and schedule), we need some help. We're not asking if you're vaccinated (and wouldn't) nor an opinion about vaccines. This poll isn't about safely socializing, it's about sharing food and being fairly near other people while eating outdoors.

Whether or not you will actually participate in a spring rally, please answer this poll honestly. It will help. And THANK YOU.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:09 PM   #2
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
The April Fools Gathering (Rally) this week is at a Regional Park in Bodega Bay, California. Their requirements are: wear a mask if within 6 feet of another person not camping with you. There is no mention of food or food sharing.

It seems that we have to go by the guidelines, which can be different for each location (state, park etc.). Also, a camp host may impose stricter guidelines than what is posted. (I have read where, for example, generators are allowed 8 am - 8 pm BUT if someone complains of a loud generator during the "ok" time, the camp host will come tell you to shut it off. They could do the same for potlucks.)

So my opinion is, plan for what is posted, be ready for change, and don't schedule what someone may be offended by or complain about. We want to avoid the unhappy camper scene.

I think food sharing is going to be one of those iffy activities. Some will be "ok" with it and some will not. We as a group might be "ok" with it but maybe some campers not with our group are not ok with it and will complain, and the camp host will feel obligated to shut us down. Best to avoid forced change, it usually doesnt go well.
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 03:03 PM   #3

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Donna. I don't know what you mean by a poll, but I've had my jabs and I'm fine with an outdoor potluck or meal with appropriate masking and distancing.
In fact we had an outdoor dinner at Hungry Mother in October, acting reasonably responsibly and I've not heard of any subsequent problems.

Walt
Old 04-07-2021, 03:19 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Donna. I don't know what you mean by a poll

Walt

Scroll to the top of this thread, past the first post and you will find the poll and can vote.
Old 04-07-2021, 04:29 PM   #5

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Thanks Glenn. I wasn't aware of that process.

Walt
Old 04-07-2021, 06:50 PM   #6

Name: Bonnie
Trailer: Casita
Massachusetts
I ( Jon MB )am in a quandry. I wouldn't be technically "participating" as I am not adequately capable of reciprocating, unless the other participants want one of my PB&Js. I'm no chef, not even a cook. I'm known to eat cold cream of mushroom soup, not re-constituted, direct from the can. I can microwave water for ramen and that's about it.
I have no qualms about community food provided that personal utensils and personal serving is enforced (implied by the social distancing caveat in the first post).
That said, I didn't vote in the poll just so that Bonnie, should she choose to, can enter "our" shared e-ballot.
Bonnie RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:05 PM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie RB View Post
I ( Jon MB )am in a quandry. I wouldn't be technically "participating" as I am not adequately capable of reciprocating, unless the other participants want one of my PB&Js. I'm no chef, not even a cook. I'm known to eat cold cream of mushroom soup, not re-constituted, direct from the can. I can microwave water for ramen and that's about it.
I have no qualms about community food provided that personal utensils and personal serving is enforced (implied by the social distancing caveat in the first post).
That said, I didn't vote in the poll just so that Bonnie, should she choose to, can enter "our" shared e-ballot.
A nearby grocery store can provide a variety of ready made/premade stuff. Let the store be the chef.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:36 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
The Spring Fling in New England Rally will be going on in May and right now the fluid status for the state of NH is as most everywhere, social distance and ware a mask.
If vaccinated, state says that after 2 weeks, you may go without masks,
Schedule has been cut so most of events where I know it would be crowded have been scratched and he Pot-Luck is not going to happen.
Instead I will be serving a pasta meal and any server has met the required mandate set forth by state.

Here is hopping we all have a safe and fun 2021 Camping Season.
Gerry
Host of the Srping Fling in New England Rally
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:54 AM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Although we are both fortunate enough to have received our shots, I think my biggest apprehension with "pot luck" food has nothing to do with "social distancing," etc. The problem I have is that you really have no idea whether the food that people bring was properly handled. Things like "hot foods need to be kept above 140 degrees and cold food needs to be kept under 40 degrees," and the potential for "cross contamination" issues, most often occurring when cooked and prepared food, (i.e. "Ready to Eat,") come into contact with raw food, which could have things like Salmonella, and a host of other little nasties. That cutting board you just 8-pieced that raw chicken on, gave a quick wipe to, and are now cutting salad greens on, well, I think you get the idea. I have a Health Dept. Food Handler's Card, and before that I had a "Serve-Safe Card" when I went through Culinary School after I retired. Food poisoning, besides being no fun at all to get, can be caused inadvertently by people who either don't know, or don't practice, proper safe food handling. If I go to pot lucks, I usually eat what I bring, out of my concern for the aforementioned potential problems. More dangerous than Covid in my book.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:56 PM   #10

Name: Catherine
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr
California
I live in CA, more specifically L.A. County.... It seems from the news, they keep changing what they think is "safe" regarding Vax and Masks and new Variants.

I think I'll be a wearing mask for a long time.... From what I hear there were a lot less flu victims this year due to all of us being more careful about germs. :-)
Compact Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:22 AM   #11

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
The Spring Fling in New England Rally will be going on in May and right now the fluid status for the state of NH is as most everywhere, social distance and ware a mask.
If vaccinated, state says that after 2 weeks, you may go without masks,
The Spring Fling in New England is also on my calendar and I will be attending with mask even though I have received both (Moderna) vaccinations.

When it comes to participating in pot-luck events, Casita Gregg's concerns notwithstanding, if restaurants (in some states) can provide service within social distancing protocols, "I'm in".

I attended Walt's dinner at the Hungry Mother rally last October, and following the guidelines, it appears that we all survived.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote