The unexpected consequences..... - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 10:21 PM   #41

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAG View Post
It is harmful to the person to wear a mask. If you wear a mask thinking it will protect you, you do not have the right to harm another by telling them they have to wear a mask to protect you=what makes you more important than the person you don't mind hurting?
How is it harmful to wear a mask? A proper mask is gas permeable so oxygen and carbon dioxide can pass so respiration isn’t hindered. It stops the passage of aerosol particles generated by breathing, coughing, sneezing, talking, etc. Surgical teams wouldn’t be wearing them if it was harmful to do so.

Since there’s no factual data that shows they’re harmful and since wearing them and isolating was having a very positive effect on flattening the curve until some state governments decided to toss it all because by golly the American people need and have a right to haircuts, tattoos and open bars.

Frankly it’s embarrassing to be an American right now.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:55 AM   #42
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Where I live, masks are hard to find. When a store gets them in they quickly sell. Kinda like TP.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:32 AM   #43

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Where I live, masks are hard to find. When a store gets them in they quickly sell. Kinda like TP.
All of the Big Box Hardware stores seem to have the cheap Surgical style masks everywhere I have been recently but the quality and fit vary widely too.

Only the Chinese would use Spring Steel Wire in the nose bridge of a mask so that they will not seal tight in any way and be unusable with glasses?

How much pricier could it be to just use real steel?
Old 07-07-2020, 07:10 AM   #44

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Quote:
There are zillions of them for sale on line. Google it.

I've made some out of old fabric. I'm not great at sewing but I have made a few and will make some more. Elastic is now easy to find on line also. Or make some that will tie behind your head. I actually used some small bungee cords for my first two masks. And, you can buy a bandana and that will do the job.

What is the job? It is to try to block more of the virus getting out of YOU should you have it. The analogy that I saw used peeing. I'll try to repeat it.

When you pee with no pants on, the pee goes directly to the floor and makes a big puddle.

Pee with undies on and some pee is soaked up so less hits the floor.

Pee with undies and pants on and a lot less pee hits the floor.

Replace pee with virus, and pants with a mask and you'll get the purpose of wearing a mask. It's to decrease the virus emitted from YOU.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:55 AM   #45

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Let me understand this , You can NOT wear a mask because of a physical condition that makes breathing with a mask difficult but you can catch covid and go on a ventilator NO PROBLEM
I will admit that forcing individuals to wear a mask does violate their Constitutional right to be as stupid as they wish .
It’s the same argument I hear in Wisconsin about depriving citizens of the right to drive while intoxicated
Old 07-07-2020, 08:10 AM   #46

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Only the Chinese would use Spring Steel Wire in the nose bridge of a mask so that they will not seal tight in any way and be unusable with glasses?
No I think it’s safe to say any and every country in a situation like this will have certain opportunistic suppliers cut corners.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:26 AM   #47

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Go to the nearest JoAnne Fabrics - they are giving away kits that make 10 masks. You will need a sewing machine, but it only takes a couple hours to crank them out, even if you are not a seamstress.

I've been making them for the workers at our state university since the ones they supply don't seem to fit those with beards or big faces.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:47 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
No I think it’s safe to say any and every country in a situation like this will have certain opportunistic suppliers cut corners.
Maybe but luckily I have not seen any masks from other countries really at least not the cheap mass produced versions.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:33 AM   #49

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Maybe but luckily I have not seen any masks from other countries really at least not the cheap mass produced versions.

Chinese also make those crappy iPhones and all those other crappy smart phones, tablets and computers etc. so anybody can post anything, real or not.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:10 AM   #50

Montana
The "freedom" issue is a funny one, and could be a whole textbook (well, it probably is several textbooks), but I'll just say:

There's no such thing as freedom in the way people seem to want to defend it. Something is always limiting your freedom. You want to grow wings and fly? Sorry, you aren't able. Hike Everest? Not unless you're at a certain fitness level and beyond that have the right genetics. Not everyone does. You want a mansion? Sorry, you don't make enough money. Like Steve said, you want to drink and drive? Sorry. Drive on the sidewalk? Nope.

The same goes for "free speech". Completely misunderstood and misused by too many these days. I've been on forums where people are constantly complaining that their free speech is being limited. But a private place is the property of it's owner. You can say what you want, but if you say it in my house, I have the right to kick you out. You agree to abide by certain limits to your speech if you want to be in my house. If you decide they're overly restrictive, you can decide my house isn't someplace you want to be. There's your personal freedom. Your choice.

IF you want to live in a society, there are unavoidable, necessary limits on your freedom for the good of the whole. If people want to have a non-reactive, open discussion on the best place to set those limits, the best compromise between societal good and personal freedom, that's a conversation we should have.

But all this knee-jerk, "you can't impinge on my freedom!" crap we're hearing, I'm sorry to say, rings pretty ignorant to my ears.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:55 AM   #51

Washington
What's this about Chinese made masks?

All on here are familiar with the internet, right? Go to Amazon (for example) and type in face masks. 20 pages will show up. Domestic made and foreign made can be found.

Go on Google and google face mask patterns. You will be bombarded with different ways to make them.

It is in no way rocket science. I mean, for a last resort, you can tie a hankie around your mouth and nose. Watch some old time westerns with robbers in them for the concept. How hard is that?

Just do it.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:48 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post
What's this about Chinese made masks?

All on here are familiar with the internet, right? Go to Amazon (for example) and type in face masks. 20 pages will show up. Domestic made and foreign made can be found.

Go on Google and google face mask patterns. You will be bombarded with different ways to make them.

It is in no way rocket science. I mean, for a last resort, you can tie a hankie around your mouth and nose. Watch some old time westerns with robbers in them for the concept. How hard is that?

Just do it.

The blue surgical style masks all made in china.
Not everyone wants to make their own regardless how easy it is for you.

Also everything I have read says they filter better than cloth.

As you say,not rocket science?
Old 07-07-2020, 12:31 PM   #53
Raz

Interesting, I made a simple statement, that masks were hard to find locally. Nothing about I couldn't get them, or whether I choose to wear one which I do despite the fact that I live in a county of 30k people with 9 confirmed cases since early March. And of course you can get them on line,. As far as big box stores, there's a Walmart 40 miles away but I don't consider that local and the last time I was there they were out as well. No wonder there so many threads closed, people are loaded for bear. Lighten up. This is suppose to be fun.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:46 PM   #54

Washington
I can't make it fun. No way no how. Not when stu...oops freedom fighters seem to be determined to make this epidemic last and last and last. Do you know that a large investment firm is now trying to convince the deniers to wear masks?

I've heard too many excuses. Your post about not finding masks locally seemed to be just another one. It wasn't funny. I'm being truthful on this.

I live in an area where people aren't getting it. Our cases went from 2 per testing to 16 in a week. I guess it was fun for a big group to gather for Mother's day. That's what one cluster was traced back to. It's a sparsely populated area so that is significant. Adjoining counties are in even worse shape. We should find out more soon. I'm expecting the worst for the future as there were more gatherings over the Fourth.

As for mask making being easy for me? I am not a sewer. It took quite a few attempts to figure out how to put things together. Let's put it this way, I didn't give up and I have figured it out. I didn't quit. I just dug through a box and found some more fabric. Guess what I'm going to do for a while today?

This is serious stuff people. It may not kill you but some of the side effects listed might make you wish it had.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:57 PM   #55

Quote:
Interesting, I made a simple statement, that masks were hard to find locally. Nothing about I couldn't get them, or whether I choose to wear one which I do despite the fact that I live in a county of 30k people with 9 confirmed cases since early March. And of course you can get them on line,. As far as big box stores, there's a Walmart 40 miles away but I don't consider that local and the last time I was there they were out as well. No wonder there so many threads closed, people are loaded for bear. Lighten up. This is suppose to be fun.
I was merely helping by telling you where I have seen masks for sale every time I have been there for the last several weeks.

I have fun helping others so there is that.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:57 PM   #56

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
This is serious stuff people. It may not kill you but some of the side effects listed might make you wish it had.
Possible long term health consequences seen even if you do recover can include:
Lung damage
Organ damage
Amputated limbs
Brain damage

I try not to jump on people but when some say it's no worse than the Flu I do get a little:
Old 07-07-2020, 01:01 PM   #57

Quote:
I can't make it fun. No way no how. Not when stu...oops freedom fighters seem to be determined to make this epidemic last and last and last. Do you know that a large investment firm is now trying to convince the deniers to wear masks?

I've heard too many excuses. Your post about not finding masks locally seemed to be just another one. It wasn't funny. I'm being truthful on this.

I live in an area where people aren't getting it. Our cases went from 2 per testing to 16 in a week. I guess it was fun for a big group to gather for Mother's day. That's what one cluster was traced back to. It's a sparsely populated area so that is significant. Adjoining counties are in even worse shape. We should find out more soon. I'm expecting the worst for the future as there were more gatherings over the Fourth.

As for mask making being easy for me? I am not a sewer. It took quite a few attempts to figure out how to put things together. Let's put it this way, I didn't give up and I have figured it out. I didn't quit. I just dug through a box and found some more fabric. Guess what I'm going to do for a while today?

We each find our way through this thing for ourselves.

I am not sure why anyone not deciding to utilize masks just like you are seems to you as though we might not be as serious about this as you are but if thats the way you feel then thats the way you feel?

If I misunderstand your posts I am sorry for that,I too am simply baffled by anyone not taking precautions to help the next guy whether they accept the basic idea of how this thing is spreading or whether it even is a real thing or not.

I am thrilled to be able to find masks premade for me to buy but then I sure expect a basic minimum level of quality too,not an unreasonable expectation really.

So if you want to make your own I am happy for you and if I am happy to buy some I expect the same consideration from you.

As I understand it from watching too many videos and reading too many how-too's about the masks the commercial non-woven non-cloth surgical variety are much more effective in stopping my Rona from reaching you and since I prefer to purchase these anyway I consider this to be a Win-Win all the way around!

Clearly EVERYONES mileage may vary.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:06 PM   #58

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAG View Post
It is harmful to the person to wear a mask. If you wear a mask thinking it will protect you, you do not have the right to harm another by telling them they have to wear a mask to protect you=what makes you more important than the person you don't mind hurting?

Daniel, one really should not make blanket statements like "It is harmful to the person to wear a mask." without verifiable, documented proof of its validity. Please provide documentation for that statement or else realize it will be considered incorrect by the general population. Truthfully, your statement is incorrect. Why would surgeons, contractors, lab workers, cleaning personnel and a whole host of other disciplines wear masks if they were harmful to the wearer?

An individual does not have the right to potentially endanger other peoples lives with their irresponsible behavior. Would you drive while under the influence or fire a weapon in a group of people or scream FIRE in a crowded theater?

Please prove your assertion that wearing a mask is harmful.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:36 PM   #59
Raz

A while back Steve indicated a number of things he couldn't find. I was continuing in that vane. I can't seem to get premium rotors for my CRV either.

As far as wearing a mask, like most things there are always arguments on both sides and rooms full of experts to support either. Despite the extremely low infection rate where I live I wear a mask because it promotes the "we're all in this together" attitude which I think is the right way to think.

When we run out of ice cream and beer I will really get worried.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:48 PM   #60

Montana
I personally think if we can't laugh at this, then we're really in trouble. We need to take it seriously, and laugh at it.

The particular room full of the "experts" supporting the "masks don't help side" is, I'm afraid, staffed with kooks. There was back and forth at first, mostly in the US, but there is currently consensus. They help. Full stop.

Some of the hesitancy to require them came from wanting to save supplies for first responders.

I know how it feels when there's someone with credentials after their name contradicting what you just heard from another person with the same credentials, but if you look into the data, who supports it, and who supports them, it starts to get easier to know who to believe. That doesn't mean they have 100% of the data and that they're even right, but it does mean they're making a good faith effort to give you the best advice based on the best current science. In other words their hidden agenda is to help us all get through this, not to sow discord, push a political narrative, or help someone financially.

And yes, the surgical masks are absolutely more effective. Anything is better than nothing, N95 is best, surgical masks are next in line. Home-made cloth masks can be made very effective (have we seen a run on pantyhose yet?), but even a handkerchief helps.
Closed Thread