The unexpected consequences..... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > COVID-19 RVing Information
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 03:54 AM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The unexpected consequences.....

First it was a run on TP, I'm still finding empty aisles. Where's it all going? Then I stopped in to pick up some lettuce seed only to find the store sold out of almost everything. Everyone has become a gardener. Now I read all the local RV places have empty lots. It seems everyone wants a camper. A google search shows it's not just local. I guess the campgrounds are going to be filling up. If you go camping, don't forget your mask.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
The unexpected consequences.....

Where is all of the Toilet Paper????

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8252.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	135815
Old 07-05-2020, 07:12 AM   #3

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Our shelves are still stocked, but I can tell people are getting ready for another surge.

And yeah, public lands are chock full of people. Lots of Montanans out and about, but also tons of Utah, Arizona, Washington and California. Mostly in trailers, but all other kinds.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:46 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
First it was a run on TP, I'm still finding empty aisles. Where's it all going? Then I stopped in to pick up some lettuce seed only to find the store sold out of almost everything. Everyone has become a gardener. Now I read all the local RV places have empty lots. It seems everyone wants a camper. A google search shows it's not just local. I guess the campgrounds are going to be filling up. If you go camping, don't forget your mask.
Back in May we had to drive over 30 miles to find vegetable seeds including lettuce . It seems there is no rhyme or reason to the shortages
Last week I had difficulty finding , oil filters for my wife’s car , spray undercoating , car polish , yeast , toilet paper , deck stain , paint brushes ,
garlic , cleaning supplies and one of my prescriptions ETC , ETC
I thought by now things would be improving , I thought wrong
Old 07-05-2020, 01:10 PM   #5

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Back in May we had to drive over 30 miles to find vegetable seeds including lettuce . It seems there is no rhyme or reason to the shortages
Last week I had difficulty finding , oil filters for my wife’s car , spray undercoating , car polish , yeast , toilet paper , deck stain , paint brushes ,
garlic , cleaning supplies and one of my prescriptions ETC , ETC
I thought by now things would be improving , I thought wrong
Yes many shortages not because of hoarding but because China does most of the items you need especially prescriptions and stuff is not being shipped because China is still not open fully or the ships are not sailing yet.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:22 PM   #6

Name: Arthur
Trailer: Between RV's But Shopping
Mississippi
It's Typical ...

I knew the panic buying was going to happen. Just like
when areas are threatened by bad weather. So,was prepared.

One way this virus mess has affected me though ...
As I continue shopping for my next RV, I've also started
looking at buying (and possibly enlarging) an RV park.
After all, the folks that are buying up all the RV's are
probably going to be looking for a place to stay.

Old 07-05-2020, 01:38 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
There will tens of thousands of lightly used, lower end priced RVs for sale in the next few years. That is my prediction. Community colleges ought to be developing curriculums fro enterprising young men and women to become Mobil R V techs. I base this in the already over booked RV service shops and the changing normal of leaving your RV somewhere for weeks where a mobile tech with a flexible schedule setting their own hours could service many owners on site or at home to repair many problems that are minor but need the common park and diagnostic abilities.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-05-2020, 02:43 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
In a couple of years (I hope) there will be all kinds of RV's up for sale. Things back to "normal" and motels will be doing a booming business again.
Old 07-05-2020, 03:07 PM   #9

NW Wisconsin
I’m hoping things get back to normal so we can spend time with our children and grandchildren, go out for a quiet supper , visit with friends , go to church ,and quit wearing a mask in public , the stares and rude comments are getting old really fast .
Old 07-05-2020, 04:04 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
I don’t go to very many commercial places and the ones where I have gone I have not encountered any comments. Perhaps my reputation for a short two word response proceeds me.
I am continually amazed at the sheer numbers of people who aren’t wearing a mask. The entire gamut exists out there. Where my son works, they have transitioned to almost exclusively working from home. I asked him how long this would go on. He said the last word he got last week was they would be home until the company was satisfied with a vaccine developed. Now there’s an employer that cares about its people.
Day in and day out I’m glad I am retired and live away from people.
Garden doing great, day lilies and prairie blooming, apples at about an inch and a quarter to inch and a half. Biggest problem: Japanese beetles.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-05-2020, 04:28 PM   #11

Montana
I’m far enough removed from how “normal” people live that I haven’t tried too hard to make sense of what’s had runs. I figure it makes sense if you’re the “staples” type. Bread, milk, eggs. Lots of baking. I can’t find disposable gloves which makes sense. Really everything else is stocked. There’s even been hand sanitizer for a few weeks now.

People, including myself, are finally starting to wear masks here. We had the lowest number of cases in the country, and only one case in the county, way back in March. Still hasn’t been another verified case. But as this next wave hits and all the out of state people flood in, everyone is finally getting serious.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:31 PM   #12

Name: Daniel
Trailer: 1994 Casita 16 Liberty
Washington
Camping Free

Love the great outdoors. In WA State our governor requires everyone to wear a mask in their house if a visitor-relative or friend enters the house. Also if we drive with anyone that does not live in the house all must wear a mask. This with covid19 98-99% recovery rate which is BETTER than the seasonal flu and with some gunshot deaths counted as covid 19 in WA State. January thru May no masks and No deaths in Clallam and Jefferson Counties. I am sure our governor will require masks until we go to our coffins as the flu season is starting. Oh yes when I camp I will not be in danger by not wearing a mask and if anybody 30 feet away is afraid of me they can keep their mask on.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:43 PM   #13

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAG View Post
Love the great outdoors. In WA State our governor requires everyone to wear a mask in our house if a visitor-relative or friend enters the house. Also if we drive with anyone that does not live in our house all must wear a mask. This with covid19 98-99% recovery rate which is BETTER than the seasonal flu. Oh yes when I camp I will not be in danger by not wearing a mask and if anybody 30 feet away is afraid of me they can keep their mask on.
I’ve decided to wear my mask and avoid you . Kinda the belt and suspenders approach .
Old 07-05-2020, 04:44 PM   #14

Montana
I wondered when we’d hear that perspective in this thread.

“What’s the big deal already??”..
Old 07-05-2020, 05:05 PM   #15
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Plenty of toilet paper and everything else here except this past week I went to three different stores looking for stewed tomatoes. There are none to be found! Stewed tomatoes!

People have been coming from other states this whole shut down time to buy Utah's toilet paper....can you please bring me some stewed tomatoes when you come? I guess it's not a convenient time to be having a stewed tomato craving....ugg, does China make the stewed tomatoes too?
Old 07-05-2020, 05:06 PM   #16

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
I wondered when we’d hear that perspective in this thread.

“What’s the big deal already??”..
Sorry ZachO , I thought the belt vs suspenders controversy was settle back in the 1950’s by Harry S. Truman . I have 2 pair of suspenders one for hunting and one for formal occasions
Old 07-05-2020, 06:39 PM   #17

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Visited a Corp of Engineers lake today to see if it was open. It was. The host told us he has had very limited vacancies and could not believe how many new RVs he was seeing.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:53 PM   #18

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
This with covid19 98-99% recovery rate which is BETTER than the seasonal flu and with some gunshot deaths counted as covid 19 in WA State.
The flu season in 2017-2018 caused 80,000 deaths in the USA from an estimated 45,000,000 cases. Covid-19 in a little over 4 months has killed almost 130,000 and that number is low because Florida no longer reports Covid-19 deaths. All this with, assuming you believe the number of infections are underreported by a factor of 10 Iike most experts, 21,000,000 cases.

Definitely worse than the flu! Don't forget that Covid-19 is showing no signs of slowing down in the heat like the flu.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:35 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Oh yes when I camp I will not be in danger by not wearing a mask and if anybody 30 feet away is afraid of me they can keep their mask on.

I don't expect you will wear a mask, or understand that wearing a mask is to protect others from you, and if all wear masks they protect one another.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 8.30.50 PM.jpg  
Old 07-05-2020, 09:51 PM   #20

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I don't expect you will wear a mask, or understand that wearing a mask is to protect others from you, and if all wear masks they protect one another.
Hopefully after the temps start to cool specifically the first week in November our once great country will regain some sanity.