Travel risks? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2020, 12:26 AM   #61

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
What I know for sure, is that if I get Covid 19, I'll be 100% dead.
Odds don't seem that useful at that point.
Old 06-26-2020, 01:03 AM   #62

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Just wondering is it in your travel plans to do a stringent self quarantine for 2 weeks before you get on the road to make sure you are not taking the disease along on the ride south?
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:28 AM   #63

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Its not even close to an automatic death sentence. There are even many elderly people recovered from it. But that fact in no way justifies taking any unneeded risk or failing to do everything reasonable to to avoid putting others at risk.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:55 AM   #64

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Thanks Pat —I realize that I am not a great writer but I try to express my honest opinion without being condescending
Hope you and yours are well and continue on that path .

But now you wont attempt to use this skill to help me understand what you are saying to me?

You seem to think we know each other but I do not think we have ever met?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:09 AM   #65

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We pulled our trailer out of storage and got the wheel bearings packed and the brakes adjusted this week then after watching the news put her right back into storage. Luckily the places that are encountering the largest outbreaks are places we didn’t want to visit anyway so no disappointment.
We would love to visit our neighbors to the North but saner heads have prevailed and the border is closed
Canada has a lot to admire IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:32 AM   #66

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Covid and Florida.
This year we are spending the summer at our Florida Escapee park, something we always wanted to try. Our plans had been another two month trip to Newfoundland but Covid closed the border. We have adopted well to the heat and humidity of Florida, barely effecting our life.

We live in a rather rural part of Florida that has had low Covid activity.

Though FL cases have spiked, deaths are way down. In fact in terms of deaths per million Fl is doing well compared to the northeast where we're originally from. NY, NJ each have 1600 deaths per million while TX has 80 and FL 150 deaths per million. This is a dramatic difference. Since the big cities are the worst. I would suggest a rural area. We're located in a low population density area, central FL, orange groves and cattle. One neat aspect of our stay is we were here for blueberry and watermelon seasons for the first time.

Most in our park are older (we're almost 78), so far no cases in our park and only one covid questionable death in our county. People keep to themselves more than normal. However that's OK with me. Ginny said it like we're traveling together cross country where it's generally just the two of us. Of course that's fine with us. We've spent the last 20 years on the road basically that way and we like each other even more.

Though things are slower in FL, restaurants are open and we still go out to eat and shop rather normally. I feel until there is a vaccine, and many are vaccines are under test, Covid will be around, so the choice is to live with it. Fortunately medicine is doing better and the probability of dying is dramatically less. Cases are up, deaths are down, though the media doesn't talk about the decreasing death rate too much. Everything is an election issue.

Our approach is to maintain reasonable safety by our choices, to stay away from disease concentrations (like Miami), to be as healthy as possible, to do what we can to boost our immune systems, stay happy (part of being healthy), and when we can, get to Newfoundland again. My singular goal is for Canada to open the border and we're still holding out hope for September.

Wishing everyone well,

Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:25 AM   #67

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
If Canada is smart (and they mostly seem to be), they'll keep the border closed till their neighbors to the south get their act together.

Eventually we'll get past the current "America Reality TV Show", and things will go back to being just mostly dysfunctional.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:54 AM   #68

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Though FL cases have spiked, deaths are way down. In fact in terms of deaths per million Fl is doing well compared to the northeast where we're originally from. NY, NJ each have 1600 deaths per million while TX has 80 and FL 150 deaths per million. This is a dramatic difference.
Not to be alarmist but with infection and death rates during a pandemic the growth tends to be exponential. In addition there is a lag between the time the infection rate goes up and the time the death rate goes up. Just like there is about a 2 week lag for the new case rate to go up there will be a lag before the death rate goes up from those new cases. The scary part is that it only takes a week or two for the numbers to really explode as was seen in NYC and other places.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:37 AM   #69

Name: Jon
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Quote:
Odds don't seem that useful at that point.

If you consider a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:48 AM   #70

Well, I have a "No CPR" order stuck on the fridge, signed by me, my wife and my doctor.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:58 AM   #71

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We had a Canadian fishing trip booked for late May
( Cancelled due to Covid )
We then tried to book the trip for July ( Again trip canceled due to Covid)
Recently we tried to book our trip for September and this time we were told to wait till next year
I don’t blame the Canadians for this , until the US gets its act together , Canada has to do what is best for their Citizens
After watching today’s WH briefing on the Corona Virus and our planned response , I would be surprised if the US / Canadian border opens up until late 2021
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:45 PM   #72

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Covid Vaccine

Once the Nation(s) gets a tested Vaccine everything will open rather quickly. The USA has invested $3 billion dollars in a number of companies here and abroad to drive the effort.

A number of companies are at stage 3 testing.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:54 PM   #73

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I'm hopeful, but let's keep in mind that this is a coronavirus, many of which (the common cold varieties) have no vaccine. I forget if that's from lack of desire to invest, because it's such a mild disease, or because they just can't develop one. But the possibility of no vaccine in the next few years is something to keep in mind.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:54 PM   #74

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Once the Nation(s) gets a tested Vaccine everything will open rather quickly. The USA has invested $3 billion dollars in a number of companies here and abroad to drive the effort.

Good to see you on the forum again.

You might be right in your statement (above) but the thing is that testing takes a long time. There is no shortcut to seeing how effective or safe a vaccine is in the long term, other then the long term. So it will take some time for our scientist to know how good it is, and for the people to trust that it is good enough to go back to life as before.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:08 PM   #75

Quote:

Once approved it has to be manufactured and distributed. Given track record so far, you'll have states and countries all trying to keep the vaccine for themselves or selling to the highest bidder.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:11 PM   #76

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Well, I have a "No CPR" order stuck on the fridge, signed by me, my wife and my doctor.

What is "CPR"? I wonder why Americans so love an abbreviations...
Old 06-26-2020, 03:15 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post

Cardiopulmonary resuscitation

No ventilator for me.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:17 PM   #78

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
I believe Glenn is Canadian, not American. It shows he is in British Columbia.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 03:20 PM   #79

North America. Central America, South America.

All are Americans.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:30 PM   #80

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
But it looks like (all) Americans like abbreviations. The abbreviations are not common in my home country, Russia. We learnt only CCCP and WTF :-)