Travel risks? - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2020, 03:32 PM   #81

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
There are so many abbreviations that they often overlap and may confuse the reader. I know the CPR but DNR down in my country means either Do Not Resuscitate or Department of Natural Resources. Which is strange and you’re in a bad way and are willing to pass away and mumble DNR and a bystander calls a game warden.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 03:47 PM   #82

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Would have used DNR but I couldn't spell Resuscitate.
And the document says No CPR.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:51 PM   #83

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Whatever country you're in, if you get it and don't die you will get to know what it feels like to nearly suffocate to death.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:32 PM   #84

Dr. Brian Goldman, an ER doctor who has a program on CBC ( White Coat, Black Art ), has a no CPR order in place. He described ventilation and it's not just uncomfortable, but can have lasting effects. I already have scarred lungs. Don't need more damage.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:07 AM   #85

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I'm hoping to use this year as a finish everything I want to mod on my Scamp. Take care of all the house projects. Every year some of those projects get pushed back to allow for camping time. Not camping then I might as well replace those two fence posts and put in that gravel around the shed and....

If I do go out I may head up to the national forest a couple of times. It is a one tank trip for me so I only have to stop for gas once going and once coming back. With some hand sanitizer and a mask it seems like a low risk for high reward. Might be inclined to go for a few more days rather than a few 2 and 3 day weekends do a lesser number of 4 day outings.

National Forest distributed camping I have gone days without seeing more than the occasional dirt bike go past.

Eventually this will become less of an issue. Vaccine will be developed or the disease will run it's course until enough people are immune at the same time to slow the spread. With the duration of any immunity conferred by body already having dealt with the virus something of an unknown at this time it is somewhat hard to predict the course long term.

The cost of letting natural selection run its course is probably a bit high. Economic and social impact of a large number of people dying can be fairly significant. People not traveling to warmer destinations this year can be an economic problem for those areas this year. If those people die the loss of economic activity from them becomes permanent. Our recreational areas in Michigan are going to have a bad year. With hopefully a lot of pent up demand being released once there is a vaccine.

I stopped focusing so much on numbers, as someone pointed out they are always a badly lagging indicator. It takes a good number of days for a spike in cases to translate into a spike in ICU cases or deaths. Takes time to get from exposure, to illness, to ICU or death. Likewise even if you institute 100% quarantine in response to the spike there are a lot of people who are already infected who will end up in hospital, ICU, or dying over the next few weeks after the transmission of the virus ceases to create new cases.

I'm just hoping for two things. Not having any deaths in our family or friends. Camping and more normal activities next year. I'm not young but I can do something different for a year if during that year progress is made toward controlling the problem.

I am a little concerned about what I suspect will be unknown long term effects for any new vaccine. Concerns about unknown risks, if a drug causes say male sterility or birth defects it will take a while for those side effects to show up. So there are real risks to be considered. Then too there are sure to be unfounded theories on why the vaccine is bad being touted as facts on the internet. I suspect the noise and bull spit ideas will make it harder to determine real risks. As well as reduce participation in getting a vaccination.

Not having any more kids, wife either so... we won't have to personally worry about how a new vaccine impacts those reproductive areas. Now hair loss or weight gain side effects... those be serious!
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:20 AM   #86

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I have been reading everything on the internet (the science), and thus making my own decisions on how to react to COVID 19 versus having someone else think for me. Our Governor is attempting to mandate "facial masks" so that has been my topic of the week. The article I am linking talks about masks, but more importantly, it summaries data on surfaces like plastic, cardboard, etc. and certainly appears to be a reliable source although I have other sources that brought me to this website, "Association of American Physicians and Surgeons": https://aapsonline.org/mask-facts/ I found other articles to be interesting on this website also, and knowledge is power.

We have been staying full-time in an RV Park through the "pandemic" and have seen people from all over the US coming and going, some staying for work for a couple of months, etc. Very few with masks, but social distancing.

I hope that people learn to keep their hands clean and away from their face as there are many things out there now that one doesn't want to end up getting. So many are just not clean these days, at least, from what I have seen.

We have practiced homeopathic medicine with great success over the years which has worked for our adult son with Down syndrome who is sensitive to so many things and had such bad reactions to medications, even ibuprofen! This is what brought me to realize that I needed to be personally responsible for the health of my family.

I would discourage people from using the news as a source for information on anything. Look at the science and listen to seasoned immunologists, those without an agenda. The CDC? Yeah, not a big fan of them or big pharma. In our County, they announced that you call a "marketing manager" who would evaluate whether you needed to be tested - ah..........

Stay safe. Commonsense can go a long way in getting that done!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:48 AM   #87

New Mexico
Registry
I try to keep busy, messing with trailer issues. The fuses, the fridge, the… well, being rational, I see them now not as a curse but as a blessing – something to distract my irritated mind and keep me from colliding with collusion, criminality and conspiracies that subvert but confirm the obvious consensus.

We gotta get outta this place, if it’s the last thing we ever do. (And it might.) November can’t come soon enough for me. To that end I even bought a generator, justified, I suspect, mainly because I need another distracting toy.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:55 PM   #88

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Well I have travelled and returned and so far at least I seem to be fine but I know that I won't know for sure for a few weeks really too.

I was in S Florida where it was just way too hot,especially while wearing a Mask but I did anyway and it is also way to much like the Wild West as far as attitudes and behaviors about the Pandemic are concerned for me to relax for even a minute while there!

I was lucky that I found a Hotel that had literally just opened there and that I was the first person tp occupy the room I was in,not sure how it happened but at least gave me some breathing space in a room not as likely to be a carrier itself!

I had not eaten anything made by others since this whole thing began and found that getting back into the carry out thing required some adjustment of my attitude and expectations and I am pretty happy to be able to just feed myself again now that I am home.

The trip there was in really light traffic but the return trip was typical Holiday traffic which sucks and the variety of the way the Hotels are dealing with the extra precautions that I hoped were being implemented gave little peace of mind really and I am pretty excited to be back hunkered down in my own space!
Where as of Yesterday Masks are required to be worn in Public pretty much everywhere.

I drove the clients car down with their mangy dogs and then got a rental van for driving while there and the trip back.
There were the telltale stains and swirl marks all over the inside of the van that told me that it had indeed been wiped down with disinfectant and allowed to air dry as is suggested so while it was a little scuzzy seeming at first I grew to appreciate that Enterprise at least did implement extra cleaning measures for rental cars.

I really stayed as isolated as I could other than going back and forth to the jobsite and stores that I needed to shop in and aside from the Family that I was there to work for I didn't spend 5 minutes in a row with a single other person during the entire trip.
Every time I was near anyone else I had a mask on and sanitized my hands after.

I brought a duffel bag dedicated to cleaning and hand washing and got into a routine of wiping things down over and over again and despite my requests for no maid service which seemed like a no brainer to me they kept coming in my room to do things until I got really aggravated about it with a manager and then that stopped too.

I am not sure that I can comprehend to this day how some folks can be so completely uninformed or aware of the situation we are in right now but trust me a lot of them seem to be in denial or something about the way things are going even with Florida setting a new record for new infections every single day that I was there?

So overall I feel like my constant vigilance likely served me as well as I could expect and I am glad that I am home.

I do not recommend travel to anyone right now if you can avoid it.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 03:26 PM   #89

New Mexico
Registry
I was hoping for a few days of boondocking up in the San Juan Mts-Colorado this month. Maybe do some gold digging at Animas Forks. Buy some pot. But...read the last quote in red...
  • Are the borders closed in New Mexico?
  • No. All surrounding borders are not closed. State roads remain open.
  • Will travelers with out of state plates be stopped by law enforcement or turned away at the borders?
  • No. Unless law enforcement has reason to believe you are breaking the law or not adhering to the health advisory, you will not be stopped or forced to leave the state.
  • Does everyone in New Mexico have to wear a mask?
  • Yes. Mask-wearing is mandatory in public for all individuals over the age of two, except when eating, drinking or exercising.
  • Is there a punishment if I choose not to wear a mask?
  • Yes. If caught without a mask in public, you are subject to a $100 fine.

......What if I live in New Mexico and I want to travel out of state? Do I have to self-quarantine when I return?
............The mandatory health advisory is very clear. If you cross over the borders of New Mexico, you must self-quarantine for 14 days when you return home

Ah, the old days....
Old 07-11-2020, 03:34 PM   #90

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
My favorite camping sites remain closed. This year is a bust as far as camping goes.

It has “allowed me” to work on a home remodel. Started March 13th, should be done by Labor Day
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:23 PM   #91

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Lucky for me and not paying rent, camping is open here.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:36 PM   #92

Name: Tony
Trailer: Boler
BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post

Do not wear gloves, use hand sanitizer. Unless you can dispose of the gloves after each touch you will contaminate everything around you. Many videos of first responders demonstrating this.

Always wear a mask, not for your protection but for everyone else's. If you find yourself surrounded by a large group not wearing masks, leave the area. Be prepared to give up your outing if the people around you are engaged in risky behaviors.

Use your common sense, if you feel uncomfortable in a locale, leave. It's not worth your health and possibly your life.

Finally, pay attention to the news. If there is an outbreak in the area you are staying at consider leaving. If you do leave, be prepared to self-quarantine for 14 days when you arrive at your destination. Get tested, if possible.
I disagree about gloves, wear them and use sanitizer on them just as if your hands were bare.
My friend the microbiologist does not wear gloves, (I tend to) and does not disinfect groceries etc, but we do keep a bottle of alcohol in the console and disinfect our hands after every visit to stores etc. But transmission by contact with contaminated surfaces does not seem to be on the radar, covid appears to be airborne in micro respiratory droplets, wear a mask.

Sad that common sense is so uncommon that we need to be ordered to wear masks, other countries where mask wearing is common place are opening up safely.
Until we have a unified federal response to covid, it is just going to keep getting worse.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:53 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggcentric View Post
Until we have a unified federal response to covid, it is just going to keep getting worse.

You are number one.