What gadget should I spend stimulus check on? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 02:38 PM   #61

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
Food bank
Old 04-17-2020, 03:41 PM   #62

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
My brother had a check for $20.00 he'd received while in college in the late sixties.

The young woman had wisely made it out to "(Brother's Name's) Stud Service".

Smart girl; he never cashed it!

Old 04-18-2020, 10:18 AM   #63

Trailer: Miti Lite 1987
What to buy

Solar panels, storage batteries, electric bicycle....... heck, just send all your money to China where all that stuff is made...😨
Old 04-18-2020, 10:44 AM   #64

Name: Bobby
Trailer: In the market
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TappyGee View Post
Mine is going to a young family in need who did not have time to build up emergency savings.
Now THAT'S what it's all about.... GOD BLESS YOU, TappyGee!!!
Old 04-18-2020, 11:37 AM   #65

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Unfortunately, to pay for this "stimulus" our government has no other way but to increase the taxes soon. There is no magic, money can't appear in the treasure coffins from nowhere.
Sure it can. The money comes from the USA magic printing press, or actually, numbers added to a balance sheet adding to the national debt, which in my opinion won't be paid for in higher tax rates, but will be paid for in the hidden tax of INFLATION.

And: the $1,200 checks aren't the only money being given out. Don't forget there's the targeted monies provided in unemployment insurance and supplemental welfare. Those will be increased and/or extended as needed.

I got my $1,200 a few days ago. Bought one of these: https://www.80percentarms.com/produc...tol-build-kit/

Just like money in the bank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
My brother had a check for $20.00 he'd received while in college in the late sixties.

The young woman had wisely made it out to "(Brother's Name's) Stud Service".

Smart girl; he never cashed it!
I have a severance check I got in 1969 -- for $1.00. Wasn't worth cashing.

--Harold
Old 04-18-2020, 11:49 AM   #66

Name: ROY AND BETH
Trailer: BIGFOOT 21 FB
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I suggest that you go trailering a number of times befor you spend lots of money on stuff you probably won't use.
That is so wise. Many times when people start new hobbies they go hog wild buying all the accessories they can think of. I am guilty of that myself. Whether it's kayaking and all the accoutrements to go with it or scuba diving and all the extraneous crap you can buy for that or fishing and all the lures you buy that you'll never use or camping and the gazelle gazebo you might buy or the firing or you name it. What you might do is get big comfy folding chairs. You'll use those. And general RV has one that is for us extra large people. Cushioned bottom cushioned head only sixty nine bucks
Old 04-18-2020, 12:02 PM   #67

Name: Robert
Trailer: Oliver
California
Stimulus Gadget

Perhaps a nice donation to your local food bank?
Old 04-18-2020, 12:12 PM   #68

Trailer: 2008 Taylor Coach 17 ft
Magic? No. Inflation? Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Harold View Post
Sure it can. The money comes from the USA magic printing press, or actually, numbers added to a balance sheet adding to the national debt, which in my opinion won't be paid for in higher tax rates, but will be paid for in the hidden tax of INFLATION.

And: the $1,200 checks aren't the only money being given out. Don't forget there's the targeted monies provided in unemployment insurance and supplemental welfare. Those will be increased and/or extended as needed.

I got my $1,200 a few days ago. Bought one of these: https://www.80percentarms.com/produc...tol-build-kit/

I have a severance check I got in 1969 -- for $1.00. Wasn't worth cashing.

--Harold
I have seen no mention by Congress or the President that my $1200 is now or ever will be borrowed from anyone by, for example, selling a US Treasury bond or bill to someone. So this $1200 does not have to be paid back to anyone.
But this is certainly an increase in the money supply without any corresponding increase in real goods or services by me.
Remember the simple, but pretty accurate, definition of money inflation? Too much money supply chasing too few real goods and services?
Finally I don’t need the money all that much for basics so it will go to our local food shell and homeless shelter.
Cheers John
Old 04-18-2020, 12:13 PM   #69

Name: ROY AND BETH
Trailer: BIGFOOT 21 FB
Florida
Registry
Better by Mo if you don't already have a stockpile
Old 04-18-2020, 12:16 PM   #70

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowballCamper View Post
What do I need that I don't know I need? (related to camper & camping) Since we're on lockdown in WA (even many of the federal lands are closed up) we didn't get to do our spring break trip to Ozette Lake. With the stimulus check coming, what are some ideas for camping stuff to get? Something I can tinker with for a while before actually taking it camping would be nice.
A new computer battery as it only lasts about 15-30 minutes. Having computer checked out when the repair shops open up. Giving some to the church as their offerings are down but they still have payroll, utilities, insurance, etc. Some to charities such as St Jude since they do good for kids. I'm sure they are very rich but they do great things for kids and research. Then saving the rest for going places hopefully this summer.
Old 04-18-2020, 12:43 PM   #71

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Solar

To answer your question, without a political lecture, that’s about the right amount for a nice solar setup. You should be able to get a battery, solar panel, controller and probably even installation. In a situation where you are stuck for a few days without a plugin, a solar setup would be invaluable. Just my two and a hall cents.
Old 04-18-2020, 01:28 PM   #72

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Harold View Post
That is correct and it's important to remember all of it is a drop in the bucket compared to what was quickly given to the big companies that had no excuse for being short of cash. It seems as if they are laying off folks quickly, despite the understanding that the money would be used to retain workers. Hopefully Congress will do better targeting next time around but I'm not optimistic. Maybe someday we'll figure out that continuing to bail out Wall Street just encourages more bad behavior.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:38 PM   #73

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:

I'm curious. Do you think HP or FMJ is better for targeting a virus?

Old 04-18-2020, 03:10 PM   #74

Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
I'm curious. Do you think HP or FMJ is better for targeting a virus?
Old 04-18-2020, 03:19 PM   #75

Name: John
Trailer: Escape
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Source please? I ask because I am pretty sure that is not correct.

And by the way, a lot of people are not getting the full amount (1200/2400).
The source that I’m thinking about is the Bush stimulus check, Remember that? $300 per person , 600 per couple. When tax time came the next January, I ended up paying it all back. The only time I ever ended up paying in. So mines going in my safe until after tax time next year. If I end up not having to pay it back, than I will use it to help pay my land taxes to help keep my town afloat. But I won’t be spending it on frivolous things.
Old 04-18-2020, 03:31 PM   #76

Tennessee
Remember the old saying "One man's frivolity is another man's frijole."
Old 04-18-2020, 03:31 PM   #77

Tennessee
Sorry, cabin fever....
Old 04-18-2020, 03:49 PM   #78

Name: Rebecca
Trailer: Parkliner
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
The people who're not getting the full amount are most likely not very concerned about the amount.
I respectfully disagree with that statement. My daughter lost her well paying job in 2019 and took a much lower paying job as a RN in a nursing home. She’s now on the front lines and received a reduced stimulus check because the check was based on her higher 2019 tax return. I’m sure many others are in a similar situation.
Old 04-18-2020, 03:58 PM   #79

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavenBecky View Post
I respectfully disagree with that statement. My daughter lost her well paying job in 2019 and took a much lower paying job as a RN in a nursing home. She’s now on the front lines and received a reduced stimulus check because the check was based on her higher 2019 tax return. I’m sure many others are in a similar situation.
He did say "most likely..." There will always be a few exceptions. I also would have received more if I had waited to file my 2019 return, but I took distributions from my 401k for the first time in 2019 to buy a house and filed early even though I had to pay a grand. But the difference won't kill me.

What is probably the most unfair part of this is that people who get Social Security and / or a pension mostly have not had their income reduced. But they still get the same amount as someone who lost their job and all their income.
Old 04-18-2020, 04:27 PM   #80

Redding, California
Registry
Nothing in life is fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
.....What is probably the most unfair part of this is that people who get Social Security and / or pension mostly have not had their income reduced. But they still get the same amount as someone who lost their job and all their income.
Social Security and Pension Benefits are not need based. A person can be collecting Social Security and have millions in assets, or they may have nothing. I know a person who has no assets and must live on his Social Security benefits of $850 a month, plus what ever he can scrounge.

Whether the trillions of dollars are paid back through higher taxes or inflation, everyone will be paying something, whether they have been immediately financially impacted by the pandemic or not.

When my son was a child and would complain that something wasn't fair, I would tell him: "The only thing that's fair happens in the summer, and you have to pay to get in."

Nothing in life is fair, and it bothers us humans greatly that the universe is random. Some will get the virus, some will not.

Having said that, I do understand and sympathize with the idea that it is an insult to the idea of social justice that some will benefit more than others, and others will only suffer.

People on Social Security don't bother me so much, but if someone has plenty of food in the pantry, and the resources to buy more, it would bother me greatly to see them waiting in line for the food giveaways meant for the needy.

--Harold
Closed Thread