1000 Places To Camp Before You Die - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2005, 06:53 AM   #21

Trailer: 17 ft 2001 Casita Liberty Deluxe
Come on!

Everyone has a favorite campsite ...

Please add yours ... to help us write "1000 places to camp before you die!"

If not your favorite (which you may want to keep secret ... I understand) .... where is it y'all hope to camp again before it's too late!

I hope to be able to return to Gulf Islands National Seashore ... west of Pensacola Beach, Fla.

We've camped there at Easter for more than a decade .... but due to recent hurricane damage (hit twice in two years) ... the barrier island has been breached in several spots ... the road totally destroyed ... and alas, the campground closed until further notice.

So last Easter ... we ran down to St. Bernard State Park, near New Orleans, LA ... and yes, that does sound familar ... St. Bernard parish was one of the most heavily damaged areas in the recent hurricane and flood.

So ... to make a long story short ...

Gulf Islands National Seashore ... closed due to hurricane damage.

St. Bernards State Park, near New Orleans ... closed due to hurricane damage

Bummer.
Charles Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 07:27 AM   #22

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Custom Deluxe
Looks like Molas Lake CO. From there north to Ouray is some of the finest camping and siteseeing in the country. If you like 4wheeling, it's a must do. Mike B
Attached Thumbnails
006_6_0003.jpg  
Mike-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 09:44 AM   #23

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I'll "second" the Molas Lake vote. I've hiked from that location clear over the mountains in the background on three different ocassions. Mighty beautiful country. I'd live out there if it weren't so darned expensive.
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:43 AM   #24

Trailer: 1999 Casita 16 ft Spirit Deluxe
Mike wins the prize. To collect, look for my Casita at 1510 Mineral St., Silverton on the 4th of July.

Also high on my list of spectacular campsites is Mountain Shadow on the Cassiar Highway, Iskut, BC. There are several note worthy camping spots on the Cassiar but Mountain Shadow just took my breath away. Follow this link for photos: http://www.karo-ent.com/cassiarno.htm
Attached Thumbnails
fishing_at_Molas.jpg  
Craig Nold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:25 AM   #25

Craig ... we're going to be running up through Telluride in early July ... and be at Gunnison Black Canyons on the 4th.

We'll look for you on the road!

I agree ... the "Million Dollar Highway" between Durango and Montrose is spectacular ... but sometime try the less crowded drive up Route 146 ... equally spectacular.

Also ... camping at Ouray's Amphitheater campground in the national forest is tight ... but doable in our little fiberglass wonders. Make sure you make a reservation because it's almost always full.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:46 AM   #26

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Charles,

We picked up our LD last summer and nervously (like parents of a new baby) wandered through the Hill Country of Texas slowly heading for Zion before turning East again to wander towards home to South Carolina. The Hill Country taught us that we could survive pulling our Casita but our GMC six would be challenged in the mountains. We stopped in New Mexico at Rock Hound State Park…tired and exhausted after a long drive from the Davis Mountains in Texas. We had been told by friends to get a site at the top of the park if possible…we didn’t know why. We took a nap and when we woke up sat in our chairs outside the Casita and looked out across the plain towards Deming…the lights were just coming on…a cool breeze was coming up the cliffs of the Las Floridas…the sleeping dragon was to our left…wow!...what a relaxing place to camp…we stayed two days just so we could see the lights and enjoy the breezes again. I will post a picture tonight if I can…my favorite place…Rock Hound State Park in New Mexico.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Sleeping_dragon.jpg  
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:53 AM   #27

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Christine, I am going to Do It In Florence next week!

I am at Honeyman on Tuesday nite. Drop by and see the FLORENCENT red egg!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 01:46 PM   #28

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I have not done much camping but last year we stayed at Indian Dunes State Park. We were able to take the train to see a Norte Dame Football and take the train the other way to Chicago. The train station is less then a mile from the campground. Great hiking trails.
kevin5465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 02:33 PM   #29

>>Indian Dunes State Park

Kevin ... we, too, have stayed at Indiana Dunes State Park several times.

My wife likes it because it is close to the outlet shops!

Maggie Mutt and I like it because it's right on Lake Michigan.

To each, their own.

>>not done much camping.

Hey, don't worry about that! We all can remember our first campout ... and are excitedly looking forward to our next!
Old 12-16-2005, 02:40 PM   #30

Another place we hope to return is

Palo Duro Canyon State Park in Canyon, TX.

Absolutely amazing place in the west Texas panhandle.

Anyone who's ever been to west Texas knows how flat it is ... for miles on end.

Well, guess what, near Canyon, Tx ... if you're not watching where you're going, you'll drive right off that flatness into some of the most absolutely beautiful canyons we've ever seen.
Attached Thumbnails
MVC_656S.JPG  
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2005, 03:48 PM   #31

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Another place we hope to return is

Palo Duro Canyon State Park in Canyon, TX.

Absolutely amazing place in the west Texas panhandle.

Anyone who's ever been to west Texas knows how flat it is ... for miles on end.

Well, guess what, near Canyon, Tx ... if you're not watching where you're going, you'll drive right off that flatness into some of the most absolutely beautiful canyons we've ever seen.
Charles

I tent camp a few times with my daughter and to my surprise she loved. Dedicated what the heck, brought a new 16ft casita sd will be ready in March Gift to myself for gift christmas! My first real trip w my daughter will be to West TX she lives in Fort Worth so the drive wont be bad. I will check out Palo Duro.
kevin5465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 10:46 PM   #32

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via MSN to christineb
Quote:
Christine, I am going to Do It In Florence next week!

I am at Honeyman on Tuesday nite. Drop by and see the FLORENCENT red egg!
Great Gina!
I'm working that day, stick your head in the local (and only) hospital, I'm the "Float Nurse" Easy to find me! I'd LOVE to see your red egg!
Enjoy the dunes, ithe Oregon Coast is the best place on earth.......IMHO
Christine
christineb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 12:02 PM   #33

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
Great topic! I received the Schultz book last year for Christmas and it was a catalyst in our decision to do our winter Toronto to California safari in Feb. We'll try to hit all the books "must do's" for the Texas -SoCal-nevada loop. Campsite info would be greatly appreciated.
As far as favourite campsite...it has to be Long Key SP in Florida...but according to Doug and Kathy Roach, the park was ravaged by Wilma and its future is a question-mark. Sixty palm fringed sites all situated on the azure waters of the Atlantic...your own beachfront a few steps away...Jimmy Buffett was right- Paradise.
For closer to home...my favourite is Bon Echo Park in Ontario: a"bottomless"lake fronted by a huge granite wall hundred of feet above your canoe tour as you read the Indian pictographs on the rock's face. Pristine and awe-inspiring!
On the opposite tack...how about places to avoid while camping? I'll vote for the campsite in Ten Sleep Montana.the worst place ever and we've crossed this great land from sea to sea many times. We rated it "DNTWTFP" (Do Not Touch With Ten Foot Pole!)
Cheers...Alistair
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 01:19 AM   #34

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982
A quick check of Long Key's web site says they'll be back...

You're right, it is the most fabulous campground. Another of our favorites was Highland Hammock near Sebring. Oh, and then there was Collier-Seminole near Naples. And did I mention Manatee Springs near Chiefland. These are all in Florida and were visited pre-digital days, so I guess we'll have to go back...
John Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 09:53 AM   #35

Trailer: 2007 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
One area for winter camping that is still wide open, warm, inexpensive, and remote is Cabeza Prieta Wilderness.

http://www.wilderness.net/index.cfm?fuse=N...ta%20Wilderness

For those who like the desert and enjoy being remote and alone, this is the ticket, at least for now. Stars, wildlife, and the sounds of the earth..............
Gary Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:17 PM   #36

Trailer: 35 ft Park Model
Deception Pass State Park
http://www.parks.wa.gov/parkpage.asp?selec...eception%20Pass
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:08 PM   #37

Trailer: Casita
SAWTOOTH NATIONAL RECREATION AREA in Idaho.....abolutely amazing!!!!!
jerry & pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:38 PM   #38

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

Bighorn Mtns in Wyoming. Take 14A west out of Sheridan. At Burgess Junction take the Forest Service Road north about 3 miles and pull into the old gravel pit, take the dozer road to the top of the hill. You can see forever from this site. Expect to see/hear elk, moose, wolves, eagles. My 4 kids and wife love the place.
Bob Cupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 10:12 PM   #39

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
AHH!!! I can't really answer this question. Why? The places I really want to camp at in the future I haven't heard about yet.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:00 PM   #40

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Gotta put in a plug for at least one east coast spot - Site 55 at Frisco NPS campground on the NC Outer Banks. Get up early, fix coffee and have the missus join you to watch the sun pop up right out of the Atlantic Ocean. Now if I get down there and see an egg in my favorite spot, ya gotta move or at least have the coffee ready.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote