10X10 or 15X13 Screenroom - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
10X10 or 15X13 Screenroom

Howdy! Trying to decide on the best size of Screen room for my 13' Scamp. I want to be able to put my small folding picnic table under it and or 4 camp chairs and possible my Cobb Grill in inclement weather or folding dry rack. The difference in weight is minor between the 2 sizes. From the reviews/videos setup doesnt seem to be any more difficult for the larger of the 2 shelters. I will be putting it up with my 17 and 10 yr old daughters most of the time but occasionally may need to set up by myself. I dont want overkill but want to have enough room. I'm leaning towards the smaller one as we've always been fine under the bag awnings that came on our pop ups. I believe those are 8ft X ? typically. There isnt much cost different between the 2 sizes so that is not a factor. Also I'm wondering if I might have a tougher time fitting my Scamp and the larger shelter on some sites since we prefer State Parks etc type of camping. So, those who use screen rooms do you like your size? Do you wish you'd gone bigger/smaller? Do they usually fit on your campsites? This is the one I'm looking at in both the 10X10 and 15X10 models:
Coleman Instant Screen - Coleman 2000004414 - Screens - Camping World
Old 10-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: Escape
Rhode Island
We use a 12 x 12 and find it too big sometimes.
http://www.campmor.com/eureka-breeze...-2-doors.shtml

Looking at the Coleman in your link I would be careful of the slope of the walls. It does not look very rain-proof. I would try to find one with vertical sides and the option of solid wind/rain shields.
OneTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We use a 12 X 12 Eureka Northern Breeze. It has flaps to close it in when weather is bad. The flaps can be rolled up, or put up with poles as an awning, but only enough poles ( 3 ) included to do one awning. We usually put the campsite picnic table in it, plus 2 chairs, but on long term camping like our winter snowbird trip south we also have a storage table, TV, and 2 electric heaters in it, and a dorm fridge on the picnic table. It's the best screen room we have owned.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
I have a 10 x10 and it works fine for my needs.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:00 AM   #5

Hmmmm didn't think about wind/rain shields. Thanks for pointing that out!
Old 10-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #6

New York
The Northern Breeze is expensive, at about $400, but for how we use it, it has been well worth the money. Four years into owning it, and last winter in GA it was set up for 3 months, we are just starting to have some problem with one zipper on the entry door at one side (there are 2 zippered entries). Sometimes the zipper will come apart at the bottom if we're not careful about stretching the side out too much when staking it down. If we are in a windy location I also use guy ropes at the four corners where the stretch loop attaches to the frame. I use metal stakes that I buy at Campmor, or if hard ground I have some heavy duty stakes I made from 1" steel angle. A suggestion here, if you do buy one of these, when rolling up the flaps, roll them under so if it rains water won't collect in them and run out when you put the flaps down. Everyone we have met that has one of these has said they were very happy with it. We'll be in a few locations in Florida with ours in November, Fort Clinch, Gamble Rogers, Sebastian Inlet, Fort Desoto, and Henderson Beach.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
4 chairs and a table would work better under the larger size as any breeze added to a bit of drizzle/rain will get somebody wet without enough room to move things around inside........

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #8

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
4 chairs and a table would work better under the larger size as any breeze added to a bit of drizzle/rain will get somebody wet without enough room to move things around inside........
That's why the Eureka NB is nice, just drop one or more flaps. They have hooks at the corners and a loop in the middle to hold them down.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I agree with the others that some of the 10 x 10 pop ups get rather small in regards to how much actual dry space you have if its raining. Watch that what ever you purchase does not have the legs that angle out - those tend to have be a bit smaller dry area. If I was starting from scratch I think I would look for one that was 12 x 12.

I also like to have at least two removable sides - I made the mistake of buying one that I couldnt find any sides premade for and ended up making some - used velcro to attach to the main pop up - but that was a bit more expensive way to go. Sides are great to have in rain as they will give you more dry usable space. If you have a portable propane fire pit the sides also help to keep the heat in the space in poor weather. The sides also work well for creating shade when when camping in open sunny areas.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #10

So can the Eureka Northern Breeze be set up by 1 SHORT adult and a child or in some cases just 1 adult?
Old 10-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #11

New York
I would say one adult and a 10 year old should be able to do it OK. Knowing the correct procedure is necessary. Basically it's lay it out on the ground, assemble the four external poles which have the stretch cord inside. Then slide them on to the four prong top center "spider". Clip two hangers attached to the fabric on to each pole. Then Mary takes a pole opposite me and we stand them up. At that point you have to set the bottom of the poles on to a pin at each corner. After that is done, and be sure it's after the poles are on the corner pins, you hook another clip and a stretch loop on to the poles. Then get it squared up, right tension on door sides so zipper works good, and stake it down. Very important to stake it down!!!!! One stake at one side of the door flap makes it easier to zip & unzip door. Once you get the method down it's easy, but would be difficult alone. The second person can just act as a pole holder. We made the mistake of hooking the lower clips on the poles and it was very difficult to get them on the corner pins. This is the reason for reading directions!!
Old 10-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #12

LOL Thanks Bob! Ya we had a similar learning curve with putting up our 6 man tent. Was not a wise decision to wait until arriving at the campsite after dark and using headlights to try and assemble it for the first time. Of course I had suggested to Hubby we do a backyard trial run but his response was "How hard can it be??". Well 2 hrs later he still wouldn't admit I was right but at least we finally had the tent up and now I actually can assemble it in the dark with just the kids, lol.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #13

New York
I found a you tube video, by Expedition Paw Prints, that shows a single guy setting it up. He does it a little different than we do, but gets it up. The video is not that great as he skips over some of the set up, but you get the idea. Spends too much time talking about his dogs. Note when he rolls up a flap that the way he is rolling, it will collect water if it rains. We roll ours under, figured that out by experience. It is important to get the legs set in the correct position before staking it down. Only comes with 3 poles to put up one awning, but you could get extras and do all 4 sides if you wanted. We don't have the floor, we use one of those polypropylene camping mats, but could only find a 9 X 12, but it works for us. If you google "Eureka Northern Breeze screen house you tube" you should be able to find this video, it was the only one I found.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #14

New York
In the video he makes a point of doing a test run at home before your trip!!
Old 10-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Get the biggest you can get It's heavier, more difficult to put up and take down, but it's a lot more fun to watch it go flying away in a heavy wind.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:28 AM   #16

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Get the biggest you can get It's heavier, more difficult to put up and take down, but it's a lot more fun to watch it go flying away in a heavy wind.
The Northern Breeze is not very heavy, poles are aluminum. We did have it set up at a car show one time, not staked down, wind came up and rolled it over, no damage. That's why I made a point of staking it down, and if we are in a windy location I use guy ropes at the corners too. We have been in some pretty good winds a couple times and it has held up fine, but did lean a little. I never use the plastic stakes or little rod stakes that come with any of the canopies or screen rooms, I either buy or make better ones. One time after watching some people trying to set up a tent in the sand at Assateague Island and the plastic stakes constantly pulling out because of wind, I finally went over to help and convinced the guy to go get some long metal stakes while we helped his wife keep the tent from blowing away. Need the right equipment for the situation!!