13' deluxe layouts - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-21-2014, 12:10 PM   #1

Name: Shawn
Trailer: In market for scamp 13
Nebraska
13' deluxe layouts

Hello, I just joined the group, because it seems I have Scamp fever. I'm hoping to hear input from others about durability of the scamps.
I'll be pulling it 10-15k miles a year.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Coletrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coletrain View Post
Hello, I just joined the group, because it seems I have Scamp fever. I'm hoping to hear input from others about durability of the scamps.
I'll be pulling it 10-15k miles a year.

Thanks.

Ten years and 65,000+ miles on my Scamp13D front bath.
Condition is excellent and the only mechanical failure was a fresh water pump a few years ago.
The trailer is still beautiful , solid, and 100% functional.
It has been easy to maintain and to make custom mods.
I expect to keep it for decades to come with little or no further measurable deterioration.
While the gelcoat can be kept shiny and nice, it will fade some over time and eventually loose a little of that KAPOW! brightness it had on delivery!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #3

Nebraska
Thanks!

Old 08-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
40 year old Scamps, and Bolers even older than that are still on the road. I pulled my 1988 Scamp into a campground a few weeks back and the host, only seeing it from a distance, asked "if it was a new one" (I suppose because of the shiny new rims & tires). I know one thing, you would be hard pressed to find a 26 year old "Stickie" (conventionally built) trailer in as good a shape as my old Scamp after all these years unless it was stored in a barn and never used. I know down here in Florida any other trailer left out in the weather as my Scamp was would have rotted away long ago. My Scamp now resides under cover while at home, I want to get another 26 years out of her! Not that they do not need maintanence however, I have just resigned myself that I will have to do every rivet on the rig sooner or later. But I do not have to do any right now and can enjoy it in the meantime.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:49 PM   #5

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Choose the layout that most fits your way of camping, really think about it. Everyone is different, has different priorities. Scamp is a great camper, take care of it and it will last.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
A lot depends on how you camp, and what you expect your camper to provide. Some use it as little more than a hard sided tent that is already set up and place to haul their gear. Some spend extended periods of time living in them or require certain amenities.

Long threads debating the need for a bathroom vs. not giving up the space because a bathroom is not needed. Lots of equally valid opinions. Lots of possible brands, models and floor plans to pick from. And that is just Scamp. Fair number of other companies making nice trailers.

Scamp, Boler and Trillium are older companies so they tend to have more in representation the market. Especially used. In conditions from very good to please rescue me from oblivion! Which many do.

I would start with where you want to go with your camper and what features it needs to have when you get there. Even the basics such as how many it needs to sleep and do you plan to camp mostly where there are water & electric hook ups or more rustic camping.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #7

Nebraska
Thanks all. I'm really excited about moving up to a bigger camper. I've been using a little tear-drop camper the past few years.
Does anyone have the bunk beds in their Scamp? I'm wondering if they are stable enough for adults?

Old 08-21-2014, 05:10 PM   #8

Michigan
Quote:
Thanks all. I'm really excited about moving up to a bigger camper. I've been using a little tear-drop camper the past few years.
Does anyone have the bunk beds in their Scamp? I'm wondering if they are stable enough for adults?

Bottom bunk sturdy enough for adult it's the couch during the daytime. Top not going to support the weight. Can't recall off hand if the consensus was 70 or 100 lbs. but certainly too low for most adults.

Also the top bunk is attached to a plywood shelf fiberglassed to the front wall under the window. Any past window leaks could have lead to that wood becoming rotted or delaminating. Worth examining that wood before deciding it's in good enough condition to support the weight if you purchase a used one.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:34 PM   #9

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
I'm wondering if they are stable enough for adults?
Top bunk is rated 100 lbs. But the lower bunk is almost unusable when the top one is set up. I hardly can crawl between bunk poles and lay down on the lower bunk. I'm only 5'8" high and 160 pounds weight...
Old 08-21-2014, 06:28 PM   #10

Nebraska
Does the bunk bed set up only come with the sofa configuration and not the front table set-up? Or, do both of those set-up options transform to bunk beds?
I wouldn't be asking these questions if I had found the answers in the literature.
Thanks

Old 08-21-2014, 06:30 PM   #11

SW Florida
Sofa configuration only.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:30 PM   #12

Nebraska
Thanks.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:45 PM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Top bunk is rated 100 lbs. But the lower bunk is almost unusable when the top one is set up. I hardly can crawl between bunk poles and lay down on the lower bunk. I'm only 5'8" high and 160 pounds weight...

Just to illustrate the range of opinions here... I am also 5'8" & 160# and sleep quite comfortably on the lower bunk! Headroom is limited, but I can turn over without hitting the upper bunk, so I'm good. Think Navy bunks... Advantage is the upper bunk is lower & roomier (better for my daughter, who loves it).

Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:55 PM   #14

SW Florida
The lower bunk itself is wide and long enough for me too. But it's hard to me to squeeze between upper bunk posts to get to the lower bunk when the upper bunk is deployed.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:10 PM   #15

Michigan
Quote:
Does the bunk bed set up only come with the sofa configuration and not the front table set-up? Or, do both of those set-up options transform to bunk beds?
I wouldn't be asking these questions if I had found the answers in the literature.
Thanks

Scamp 13 Deluxe under Specifications/Features states Sleeps one to three. The front dinette model sleeps max of three (front dinette is short bed for child) the bath and stool model sleeps max of two.

Only Scamp that I can see sleeps four adults is the 19' 5th wheel which has a loft bed and a full size dinette bed.

The main reason I can see for purchasing the 13 deluxe over the standard from a floor plan only perspective is the front dinette model has some extra storage cabinets and second table allowing the rear bed to remain set up. Or front dinette can optionally be used as a couch. The wood interior is very nice but I'm just talking about floor plan advantages. Which to my mind suits empty nester couples that don't require a bathroom really well.

If one wanted to camp with 4 adults I would say all being inside a 13 ft. would be an interesting exercise in synchronized breathing. Half of you are going to have to breath out to let the other half have room to breathe in. Four people can "be" in there to play cards or visit but that number of adults can't really "function" in that size of a space.

Parents with two kids have said it takes a little juggling to get two kids ready for bed.

I have to ask since the Deluxe has a premium price have you considered the 16 ft. standard model? Don't know the relative prices or your TV capacity. Just wondering if it was something you had been considering.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There have been many discussions about the Scamp upper bunk limits. And yes, some folks that sleep fine on the upper bunk are 100+ pounds. But you know what? It only takes ONE failure to ruin a camping trip or hurt someone to say... it's NOT worth it! I'd sleep on an air mattress, in a sleeping bag right outside the door before I would want to hurt the person sleeping in the bottom bunk. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #17

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
There have been many discussions about the Scamp upper bunk limits. And yes, some folks that sleep fine on the upper bunk are 100+ pounds. But you know what? It only takes ONE failure to ruin a camping trip or hurt someone to say... it's NOT worth it! I'd sleep on an air mattress, in a sleeping bag right outside the door before I would want to hurt the person sleeping in the bottom bunk. YMMV
When we picked up our 13 standard 2 weeks ago, I asked the guy who was explaining the operation and all the features, exactly how much does the top bunk hold? He replied 125 to 130 lbs. The fact that he gave me a range, and not an exact figure sounded to me like he pulled that number out of thin air. It may have been someone's best guess? We'll probably never have a use for the top bunk, but I was curious what the factory would say. I'm with Donna on this. Err on the safe side. I would think twice letting anyone over 80 lbs sleep up there, especially with someone below them.

One thing I didn't read here yet is that Scamp has much more latitude when working with the Deluxe or wood floor plans. For instance, even though the website or brochure doesn't show it; you can get the 13 Deluxe with the front couch / bunk floor plan. It only shows front bath or front dinette in the literature. A phone call to one of the salesman will go a long way toward answering questions. Even then, you sometimes have to know what to ask. Doing your homework here on the forum, shows me you are on the right track.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:33 PM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I, too, asked Scamp about the upper bunk weight limit (by phone in my case ) and the rep gave me an answer of 150# just as quickly. Sounds better than "we have no idea," I guess. I'd have no qualms about 100# myself in a new unit. But not a full-size adult on a regular basis. There could be ways to reinforce it, but (as an earlier poster said) there's no way 4 adults would be happy for very long in a 10'x6' space!

Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:40 PM   #19

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The piece for the upper bunk of a Scamp is only fiberglassed to the front of the shell. As a lot of us know when it comes to motor vehicles... don't get a Friday or Monday build.... I really don't like thru-rivets, but would feel better if that "piece" was more than just fiberglassed.. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:03 PM   #20

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Here is a mod made to a friend's Scamp 16. It moved the supports out of the way for easy access to the bottom bunk.
I believe the upper bunk has been used to support an adult sleeping on it for a couple of seasons now with no problems reported. He also built an ingenious fold up ladder.
These are the only two pics I have...
Attached Thumbnails
3668245209_fd10187296.jpg  
Attached Images

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote