13' Scamp Ordered - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-17-2014, 08:14 PM   #21

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
My experience with Scamp is that sometimes your voicemails do get unreturned phone calls. You have to be persistent. Still nice folks and I love my scamp. Did you think about meeting them part way to save a few dollars?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:20 PM   #22

Name: G K
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
I didn't mean scamp folks. I meant the factory gave me a number for someone who lives close to me who bought the scamp for me to take a look. That guy never returned my calls. There was a $300 saving for picking at s different location. Also we have 2.5yr old son, so picking anywhere won't be that easy as such

reachg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:28 PM   #23

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Oh gotcha, of course. My apologies for not understanding your post.

CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:57 PM   #24

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Floyd, that make me think of a good idea. Reachg, if you post your rough location there may by someone close by with a Scamp who could give you an orientation. I certainly would if I were closer.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:37 PM   #25

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
Floyd, that make me think of a good idea. Reachg, if you post your rough location there may by someone close by with a Scamp who could give you an orientation. I certainly would if I were closer.
For me it might have to be an occidentation!
But if SCCA taught me anything it was that no matter how long you've been doing something there is always something new to learn, even (or maybe especially) from a newbie!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:01 PM   #26

Name: CW
Trailer: Scamp 16 Standard (Coming May 1st!)
New Jersey
Scamp delivery

Thanks to Floyd, Carl and everyone else on the thread for your advice. I may opt for delivery. It's disappointing to hear the way new owners are received at the factory. I hope the mechanics are more enthusiastic in their workmanship.
CharleyWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:16 PM   #27

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyWhiskey View Post
Thanks to Floyd, Carl and everyone else on the thread for your advice. I may opt for delivery. It's disappointing to hear the way new owners are received at the factory. I hope the mechanics are more enthusiastic in their workmanship.
I certainly have never been disappointed with the friendly reception I have gotten from Scamp. We have had whole ScampCamps welcomed for tours with short notice and every private visit I have made has been pleasant and congenial.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:58 AM   #28

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
I would echo what Floyd says about visiting Scamp. We had a very good orientation when we picked up our former Scamp 13. If you do have any issues Kent is very accommodating in helping.

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:30 AM   #29

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
I would like to say our visit at Scamp was very helpful, We were there about an hour.
Ken
Attached Thumbnails
scamp 033.jpg  
Ken in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:05 AM   #30

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
We also had a very positive experience when we picked up our Scamp in August. The orientation was conducted by a guy named Dave. I got the impression he was the one that did most of them. He went thru all the systems and options thoroughly, and answered all the questions we had. He was also quick to give us reasons why things were done the way they were. We only had a standard 13' model (no bath), but it took about an hour to finish.

We chose to camp nearby in case we ran into any problems. That was fun, but our worries were for naught. Everything worked fine.

We spent 5 days on the road home (460 mi.), camping along the way. Our pick-up was our first Scamp adventure, and a total blast! I would do it the same way no matter where I lived in the lower 48, or most of Canada. The total time spent at Scamp was 1 1/2 hrs, and that included about 1/2 hour on the paperwork and taking pictures. As Donna always says, YMMV

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:55 AM   #31

New Jersey
It appears that a new owner's experience at the factory depends on the individual the owner meets. This is actually reassuring. All of the research I've done, which included hours on this forum, convinced me that the Scamp is a well made TT. The videos on the Scamp website are useful but could be more informative. For example the video explaining use of the waste discharge shows only one discharge valve, I assume for grey water. I would hope that the black water tank has its own discharge valve so the emptying could be done in the correct sequence, black water first, then grey water.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #32

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
[QUOTE=reachg;487857]We have never seen a scamp in person. [QUOTE]

I bought the first Scamp I had ever seen. I have since only seen one more Scamp and two Casitas. You are buying a known quantity, I expect Scamp has the program down pretty good by now. And another thought, what other 40 year old product can you get the company on the phone and get support?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #33

New Brunswick
Quote:
It appears that a new owner's experience at the factory depends on the individual the owner meets. This is actually reassuring. All of the research I've done, which included hours on this forum, convinced me that the Scamp is a well made TT. The videos on the Scamp website are useful but could be more informative. For example the video explaining use of the waste discharge shows only one discharge valve, I assume for grey water. I would hope that the black water tank has its own discharge valve so the emptying could be done in the correct sequence, black water first, then grey water.
Well on the Scamp 13 you can do it any order you please as it's two separate connections. One for the black water at the front of the trailer and another for the grey water at the back. If you have a long enough sewer hose you won't have to move the tv at the dump station
One of Scamps quirks.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:55 AM   #34

New Brunswick
But yes the black tank first then the grey

Old 10-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #35

New Jersey
Scamp 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post
Well on the Scamp 13 you can do it any order you please as it's two separate connections. One for the black water at the front of the trailer and another for the grey water at the back. If you have a long enough sewer hose you won't have to move the tv at the dump station
One of Scamps quirks.

Thanks, Briantb for your answer. It had me confused, having never seen a Scamp up close. I'm guessing then to do a clean job of dumping the black water it's necessary to pour or hose water down the toilet while dumping in order to clean the hose to avoid a mess when changing the hose from black to grey tank.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:36 PM   #36

New Brunswick
No gloves and coordination... And if it really bothers you there usually, not always is a hose at the dump station

Old 10-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #37

New Jersey
I brought my next question to the Scamp Plumbing forum thinking I was drawing this thread off topic, but I don't think that thread's been used for a while. How does one do a full hookup with a scamp 16 with a bathroom ?
Old 10-18-2014, 02:55 PM   #38

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
I brought my next question to the Scamp Plumbing forum thinking I was drawing this thread off topic, but I don't think that thread's been used for a while. How does one do a full hookup with a scamp 16 with a bathroom ?
I honestly had not thought of this as we (almost) never camp with "full" hooks available. There are stinky "Y" fittings, but I would just leave the black hooked up and move the hose to drain the grey intermittently or last just before leaving.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #39

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You always leave the valve closed on the black water tank until it's either full or you're ready to break camp. Doing otherwise will cause the kind of nasty plug you don't want in the plumbing
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:56 PM   #40

Name: Scamp
Trailer: Scamp
MN
I picked up my Scamp in August. We got a fairly quick orientation. You get an owners manual and a CD (which I haven't looked at yet). I did watch all the videos on the Scamp website (before I picked it up). Because I live in Minnesota, I had to go to the podunk town south of Backus to get my plates (in a jewelry store/license branch). I probably learned more with the videos on the website than the "orientation".
scamphound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp