13' Scamps bed size - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-24-2008, 01:22 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
So all you Scamp owners, do 2 of you fit in that bed?? We went up this past
weekend to take a look at them, still think we should go for the 13' but wonder
if we need to wait for a deluxe because of bed size, we are not tiny people.

Yes, we are the "fluffy" type, what a nice way to say it! After visting this site in the
past couple of weeks, I think part of the draw for a Scamp is what great people you
all are. You have helped enormously, and I hope to meet you all out on the road.
Thks all.
Judi Unglaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:19 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
We have 2006 13'. I think part of how well you'll like the size of the bed is dependent on whether you're used to sleeping in smaller spaces or not. We're NOT small people and are very comfortable sleeping on the Scamp bed. A couple of things improve our sleeping comfort. We use individual sleeping bags. Anne will often add a fleece liner to hers, I sleep too warm to do that in mine. We also don't sleep shoulder to shoulder. Anne is a bit claustrophobic so she sleeps away from back wall, I get stuck against the wall. It works very nicely for us, but it might not work for everybody.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Small or tiny is subjective. Not to be prying but do you mean Tall vs short or fluffy vs skinny. I think tall people would be happier with something that provides more length. Like a Casita 17' that makes into a king size or twin bed option.

The way to test it, is tape out on the floor the dimensions and lay in it. Can you cuddle enough to be comfortable? Since it's a subjective question, how other people sleep may not be comfortable enough for you. I'm 5'7" and when I sleep in a large heavyweight sleeping bag, I sleep at an angle across the bed. That would be difficult with two people.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
Small or tiny is subjective. Not to be prying but do you mean Tall vs short or fluffy vs skinny.
Fluffy?? I guess my wife and I would be in the Fluffy group.
We actually find we sleep really well on the 13 Scamp bed and sometimes we think we sleep better than we do in our Queen at home. Maybe it's the fresh air or the memory foam pad over the cushions? Shorter person(wife) gets the back wall and I've removed all the old table hardware(use RV stanchions now) and spice rack that used to be there that she could hit at nite so the wall is smooth elephant hide only. This gives her the choice now of cuddling with me or the wall. We got 600 count Egyptian Cotton hotel sheets and a down comforter for the winter sleeping and it has made if very warm and cozy. Hmmm, I think I'll head out there now and take a nap....
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:52 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi Judy! We sleep really well in the bed of our Scamp 13. When we visit family & friends they have a tough time understanding we really do prefer the bed in our 'house' to sleeping in their house. That way, we don't feel like we are making extra work for our hosts.

We have memory foam over the cushions, nice linens and warm covers. I am about 5'7" and D is 5'8 1/2" - we are about average size, tending to "fluffy" after an occcasional dessert binge. I sleep against the wall and love the 'cocooning' feeling; D prefers the outside. The only plus I see for the twin/king configuration of a larger trailer would be not having to disturb a partner during the night.

We know you will love your Scamp and wish you safe journeys and many happy memories! L 'n D
Old 02-24-2008, 08:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Judy,
We're average size and sleep great in the Scamp. Memory foam (3") was needed for us and we have no trouble shoulder to shoulder. Our regular bed is small however, so we're used to it.
Tony and Darlene
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #7

Name: Terri
Trailer: SCAMP 2013
Florida
Registry
13' foot scamp bed

Hello Folks,

Have any of you bought a mattress for your 13 foot scamp? What size did you get?
I got a futon mattress and it is way to heavy and to big. (I used it in my van.) Oh but is very comfortable. Guess I'll try to sell it. I've got to really watch the weight of everything I add to my new bare bones scamp. I m towing with a 4 cylinder.

Thanks in advance.
Terri
LIL LADY BUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
The older std. Scamp bed is about 43" x 75". A twin mattress is 38" and a full is 54" wide and 75" long. Must people cut up a full size foam mattress or topper to fit.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #9

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The standard 13 Scamp with the front bath/shower now comes with a 54" wide bed, however you can order the 54" wide bed on any new 13ft Scamp Standard as an option. This applies ONLY to the 13 SCamp.

The regular 44" bed is still available on the non bath/shower version.

Of course the 54" wide bed is available on ALL Deluxe model Scamps of all sizes.
The 54" wide bed is not available on the Standard 16 or the 5er.

The official widths are 44" and 54" .
The trailer is 80" wide so the length is that, minus twice the wall thickness .
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
If you buy a full size memory foam you just cut it down to match the curves of the trailer using an electric knife which cuts it clean like butter. Simple.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #11

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
what do you lose in the 10" difference between the two bed sizes in the 13' Scamp? Do they cut down the closet and move the kitchen down towards the front? or what?
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
On our 13 Scamp we are deffinately on the stuffed cushion side. When we sleep together the 44" wide bed is tight but do able if you really want to. At 5'-6' or so we are not cramped in length. It is much better if you sleep head to feet rather than side to side. You get much more shoulder room and if there is a snore'r its not directly in your ear. When you need to get out your able to climb over feet instead of shoulders. We also split up at times where the Mrs. sleeps on the front bunk. We removed the top bunk and made a drop down table that converts to a bed. With the top bunk removed the person sleeping up front has 28 inches instead of 22" shared space so they get more space. ( Ha, Ha) This is a point of jest between us. Its all fun until someone gets a toe in the eye. Just remember in a 13 foot Scamp the people going in have to be best friends for if they are not going in, then they sure as hell wont be when they come out.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
what do you lose in the 10" difference between the two bed sizes in the 13' Scamp? Do they cut down the closet and move the kitchen down towards the front? or what?
Yes,They reduce the width of the "closet" and the kitchen and install the stove perpendicular to the counter front. Also the new upper cupboard is also shorter and has two doors instead of three.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #14

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I'm 6'1" tall around 210 lbs. Wife is literally half my weight and maybe 5'5" or 5'6" I fit lengthwise but it's close. Pillow under head makes it so both my head and feet don't touch the wall. I do NOT fit on the inside, wife sleeps on her side so she does fit the curve well. Dog finds a spot by her feet.

Generally no one is getting up in the night without all three of us knowing about it. Generally not a problem, same thing would happen at home in a queen size bed in a bed room. Have to be pretty sound asleep to have someone moving around within a couple of feet of you and not wake up. How long is a 13 foot?
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #15

Name: Terri
Trailer: SCAMP 2013
Florida
Registry
Smile Thank you everyone

I am having a time trying to write in the body of the letter.

Thanks for all your answers.
I can't wait to go camping again.
See you on the road less traveled.
LIL LADY BUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Terri.... remember, it's NOT about US... it's about YOU! Happy travels.. and safety always
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I'm 6'1" tall around 210 lbs. Wife is literally half my weight and maybe 5'5" or 5'6" I fit lengthwise but it's close. Pillow under head makes it so both my head and feet don't touch the wall. I do NOT fit on the inside, wife sleeps on her side so she does fit the curve well. Dog finds a spot by her feet.

Generally no one is getting up in the night without all three of us knowing about it. Generally not a problem, same thing would happen at home in a queen size bed in a bed room. Have to be pretty sound asleep to have someone moving around within a couple of feet of you and not wake up. How long is a 13 foot?
This may sound strange but a pillow with a narrower width would solve some of the "lengthwise" problem.
Notice that most pillows are wider than a person's head is tall.
The narrower pillow (Or squish it a few inches) will naturally put your head closer to the wall, giving the effect of more bed length. Check it out...Put your fist above your head when lying down with your head on the pillow....
FINALLY.. a legitimate use for the infamous "Fist Test"
Old 08-28-2013, 12:42 AM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
We have had our 16' Scamp since Labor Day weekend 2005. I'm about 6' 220 lbs. She is 5' 3" mabye 110 or so lbs.

My wife & I managed with the narrow bed for several years. Learned in 2009 to sleep head to toe. Gives us more elbow room & now it keeps my CPAP machine from bothering her.

We did the same in an Aliner with a wider bed in Alaska this summer after a couple of nights trying the side by side route. Worked much better.

My daughter & her hubby rented a new 16' Scamp (Standard Bed model with front bunks) this summer in Arizona. He is 6' 3" & she is 5' 4". They slept ok without going head to toe. Only complaint was the bed was a little too hard.

It was too hard for us as well in ours, we added egg crate foam padding (about 3 layers) to ours. We also bought a foam pad in Alaska to use in the Aliner, plus used the one our son had already. It helped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The standard 13 Scamp with the front bath/shower now comes with a 54" wide bed, however you can order the 54" wide bed on any new 13ft Scamp Standard as an option. This applies ONLY to the 13 SCamp.

The regular 44" bed is still available on the non bath/shower version.

Of course the 54" wide bed is available on ALL Deluxe model Scamps of all sizes.
The 54" wide bed is not available on the Standard 16 or the 5er.

The official widths are 44" and 54" .
The trailer is 80" wide so the length is that, minus twice the wall thickness .
Floyd, I learn something on here all the time. I didn't know about being able to get the wider bed in the 13' Standard. Still though one had to go Deluxe to do that.

Rented Aliner at Resurrection Bay & Son's Lance TC.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian W View Post
We have had our 16' Scamp since Labor Day weekend 2005. I'm about 6' 220 lbs. She is 5' 3" mabye 110 or so lbs.

My wife & I managed with the narrow bed for several years. Learned in 2009 to sleep head to toe. Gives us more elbow room & now it keeps my CPAP machine from bothering her.

We did the same in an Aliner with a wider bed in Alaska this summer after a couple of nights trying the side by side route. Worked much better.

My daughter & her hubby rented a new 16' Scamp (Standard Bed model with front bunks) this summer in Arizona. He is 6' 3" & she is 5' 4". They slept ok without going head to toe. Only complaint was the bed was a little too hard.

It was too hard for us as well in ours, we added egg crate foam padding (about 3 layers) to ours. We also bought a foam pad in Alaska to use in the Aliner, plus used the one our son had already. It helped.

Floyd, I learn something on here all the time. I didn't know about being able to get the wider bed in the 13' Standard. Still though one had to go Deluxe to do that.

Rented Aliner at Resurrection Bay & Son's Lance TC.
Thanks, it is hard to keep up, but you're bound to be best informed on fiberglass trailers right here on this site!
Old 08-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #20

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The narrower pillow (Or squish it a few inches) will naturally put your head closer to the wall, giving the effect of more bed length. Check it out...Put your fist above your head when lying down with your head on the pillow....
FINALLY.. a legitimate use for the infamous "Fist Test"
Because the pillow "lifts" my head, and to some extent my shoulders it makes the length of bed I take up a tad shorter. If the pillow was sticking out above my head by much (even a fist worth) it would mean my feet were wedged against the other wall.

So yeah big fluffy pillow is going to make the bed "shorter". Unless I used it to prop my upper body at a pretty high angle. At which point the reclining car seats would start to look good.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote