15 foot ParkLiner 2 Medium Dogs. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #1

Name: Brenda
Trailer: 2018 Parkliner
Georgia
15 foot ParkLiner 2 Medium Dogs.

Is this even doable? 60 pound Aussie and pushing 60 pound boarder collie/ aussie mix (no relationship).We are getting ready for our first trip together. This has to work. We have purchased a 'dog' blanket to go over the table/bed for during the day, then I have no clue what will go on at night .. LOL .. anyone with larger dogs?
BrendaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:04 PM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We use a plastic sheet under a regular sheet to keep cushions/bed protected during the day.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:49 PM   #3

Georgia
Great tip! Your dog looks so cool!
Old 06-18-2018, 05:11 PM   #4

Name: Tab
Trailer: ParkLiner
Tennessee
I regularly take my eighty pound chocolate lab camping. Even when I have my wife and daughter along it’s no problem. We put a blanket over the bedding if we’re leaving him during the day. Never an issue. At night he sleeps on the floor. Getting to the bathroom in the middle of the night can be a little tricky but no big deal....
Roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:44 AM   #5

Georgia
The bathroom in the middle of the night has me concerned with two dogs so my husband will just have to find the floor and do the shuffle .. LOL
Old 06-19-2018, 11:44 AM   #6

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I made a covering for the bed (denim quilt from old jeans with wool batting) so it would stay in place during the day for the dogs (3 corgis right now.) One of the corgis sleeps under the bed (dinette/bed but I never set it up). Daytime I have Xpens around trailer and making a little yard in front. (Might be more of a problem with taller dogs but tie-outs may also work.) We do fine. My trailer is a 15 foot Escape (12' x 6' cabin) but I used to do it in a Campster. Our longest trip has only been ten days. (We've done both ten in one location and ten traveling around.)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:29 AM   #7

Georgia
I love your Escape!!! I have looked at x pens also.. I think two will work for us and I will always be out when they are out. Gonna work my way up to extended camping.. thats my goal with these two goof balls.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:04 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
My wife and I travel with our 75 lb chocolate lab in a 17 ft Casita SD
We would not attempt to travel with anymore than one dog
It’s crowded enough with just 2 adults
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:30 PM   #9

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Pugs are only about 20 pounds but two of them for 24 days was a lot of dog.

Bobbie Mayer's all-around the trailer x-pen is super...we used tie-outs this time and it worked even better for the girls as the x-pen did. For some reason they barked and lunged a lot more in the x-pen, plus it was HEAVY.

The tie-out was much lighter and as long as we kept them far enough away from table and chair legs, it worked fine. But they are old and other than barking sometimes, fairly sedate. Cinder did jump up on my bed when she was WET, so the various covers mentioned above are a great idea.

Sleeping on the floor under my bed is a no-options deal for the older girl. I think I may enforce it for both of them next time. We bought a new "doggy bed" today--a rectangular cement mixing tub, nice & clean and fits the corner under my bed, instead of the round barrel liner we've been using. The old pug also has to eat in it (with bedding removed) as she gulps too much air when the other dog is around her food...and then she vomits, so we'll be re-sizing and replacing the plastic lath "gate" for under the bed as well.

With bigger dogs, I think I'd just do them a nice stuffed doggy bed underneath and not worry about a bin or container. We had a larger dog once upon a time...but only one.

You have my best wishes for your travels. It can be done. Some have suggested finding the occasional doggy boarding place on your route so you can get a break, go out to eat, to a movie, to museums, or whatever without leaving the dogs unattended

Be sure they get enough exercise. The pugs get well-walked just taking them potty; they get far fewer specific walks here at home since we have two doggy doors into our fenced yard.

Good luck to you all, best wishes, happy trails!

BEST
Kai
Old 06-20-2018, 05:35 PM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Me, one 40 lb dog, and a 16 foot Scamp.. she is always in the way and underfoot.

But then again, it is the same way in a 1600 square foot house.. go figure.

I guess you could say she is "clingy."
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:41 PM   #11

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
I camped in a 13’ Scamp with two aussies for years. One dog chose to crawl into the space under the bunk, and the other one had the floor. The middle of the night shuffle/ twister game on the way to the bathroom was one of my few complaints.
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:13 AM   #12

Registry
I could have added, "Happy tails!"

Kai
Old 06-21-2018, 10:26 AM   #13

Registry
I did tie-outs on occasion but Jack likes to play "Corgis cradle" and wind himself around any available things including the other dogs so it was always a challenge. I have to keep Oliver and Jack separated mostly (Oliver doesn't like Jack and Jack isn't very fluent in dog so doesn't pick up the signals to back off) which adds a challenge. I do keep a small crate in the trailer for Jack in case I have to leave them there and go somewhere. (Initially because he got onto the counters, now to protect him.) But it works out fine. Two people, two dogs would be a bigger hassle, I think.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:40 PM   #14

Registry
Bobbie Mayer: Your dogs seem to do very well...the tie-outs wouldn't have worked even a couple years ago as our girls did the same thing, wound around each other and everything. They're old enough now they mostly just lie there and bark.

They are quite good if we leave them alone together in Peanut...they'll both get into their little bed under mine and go to sleep, often so heavily we have to force them to wake up when we return. Maybe we wear them out as much as they wear us out.

Just don't like to violate rules when a campground posts big statements not to ever leave pets unattended...I only violate that rule when they don't make such a point of it. OR--as at Taidnapam last year or Maryhill this year, when we're going to be close enough to Peanut to hear them if they start up a ruckus.

Kai
Old 06-22-2018, 08:45 AM   #15

Registry
I agree on unattended pets- especially if they bark. I like the Escape because if it is cool enough for windows to be closed, I can put the fan on, and Oliver (who was unsuccessfully debarked before I got him) can't be heard from very far away. Or if it is really cool Oliver can go in his crate in the car where he does not bark at all. Jack is the only one who stays outside if I'm a few sites away or walking the other two, and he rarely barks nowadays. (Also no longer escapes the moment I walk away as he used to.)
Old 06-27-2018, 11:22 AM   #16

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro & 2006 21ft. BigFoot
California
Registry
Our 75 LB Black Mouth Cur

Last spring we departed on a 10 week trip in our 17ft Burro with our dog Banjo.
We looked up ahead of us for doggie parks and kids baseball fields that were enclosed with a fence, to let him run and play. I found an app on my phone that would give me information on doggie parks. But you need to be very careful that other dogs that might not get along with your dog. We also found doggie day cares for days when we wanted to go places where dogs were not aloud. It all worked out for us and our dog, but it turned out to be alot harder on our dog than we ever expected. But we will always travel with our dog. Just next time we will give him more time to run and play and not travel to far in any given day.
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:38 AM   #17

Name: Pat
Trailer: Parkliner
Michigan
Brenda, I have 4 dogs that travel with me. It is tight but they learn that when they are in the trailer they must get up on the bed because there is no other choice. I am usually at a dog event so I put out a rug and xpen, pray for good weather and they are usually outside for the most part. Everything in my trailer is covered, and with the rug down they are usually pretty clean by the time they come in the trailer. The only trouble comes when it rains and we all have to be inside, that is when I wish I had a bigger trailer. LOL
Pat in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:53 AM   #18

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat in Michigan View Post
Brenda, I have 4 dogs that travel with me. It is tight but they learn that when they are in the trailer they must get up on the bed because there is no other choice. I am usually at a dog event so I put out a rug and xpen, pray for good weather and they are usually outside for the most part. Everything in my trailer is covered, and with the rug down they are usually pretty clean by the time they come in the trailer. The only trouble comes when it rains and we all have to be inside, that is when I wish I had a bigger trailer. LOL
4dogs!!! I feel so much better now LOL. We just received our xpens. How do you store/carry to the campsite?
Old 06-29-2018, 06:55 AM   #19

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avey View Post
Last spring we departed on a 10 week trip in our 17ft Burro with our dog Banjo.
We looked up ahead of us for doggie parks and kids baseball fields that were enclosed with a fence, to let him run and play. I found an app on my phone that would give me information on doggie parks. But you need to be very careful that other dogs that might not get along with your dog. We also found doggie day cares for days when we wanted to go places where dogs were not aloud. It all worked out for us and our dog, but it turned out to be alot harder on our dog than we ever expected. But we will always travel with our dog. Just next time we will give him more time to run and play and not travel to far in any given day.
Banjo is such a cool name. Thanks for these tips!
Old 06-29-2018, 07:13 AM   #20

Name: Pat
Trailer: Parkliner
Michigan
I put them in the van. My dogs ride in crates and I just bungee them to the crate. I had someone onetime say my trailer looks like a clown car when we come out in the morning. LOL That being said, my husband does not go with us since I am usually going to a dog event. I frequently debate getting something bigger but I so love my Parkliner I just can't think about selling her.
Pat in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner