15" LCD TV-Cheap like we like! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-01-2011, 05:49 AM   #1

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
15" LCD TV-Cheap like we like!

FRYS.com | Coby Electronics

This came up in my email this morning and I thought I would pass it on.
I gave these away for Christmas to some family and friends and so far everyone likes them.
They were $100.00 at Christmas from Best Buy so this looks like a decent deal to me.
They weigh NOTHING or so it seems and have an LED backlight so they should prove rugged in a trailer I think.
Not 12volt but very low current required from an inverter.

Not the best set but maybe the cheapest?

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #2

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
Website says shipping is unavailable - check store link is down - but that only helps if you live where there are Fry's :~(
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Crowl View Post
Website says shipping is unavailable - check store link is down - but that only helps if you live where there are Fry's :~(
Pretty cool. It wouldn't happen to be one that has a 12VDC input with a power supply in the cord? We called 'em "pregnant snakes". You could just plug in battery power on some of those.

Regards,

Matt
Old 04-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Here is another option.... I just bought this TV that is 12v

I ordered the "VIORE" 19" TV from Walmart on line. Price was $139 + tax and shipping to the house was only 97 cents.

It is a LED, LCD TV

Link to Walmart

It is indeed a 12v TV and comes with a 110v power supply. I had to find a 12 power plug that would work, but I just happen to have an extra one. According to the manual it has a power consumption of 35 watts.

I'm still going to shop around for a better antenna that I can hook up to the cable jack on the outside of trailer. I want a portable antenna, not a fixed one.

The reception came in on HD 1080i on a couple channels with my current antenna.

All in all I'm happy with it for only a $139 TV!!

Dale - AZ
Attached Thumbnails
009.JPG   002.JPG  

007.JPG   011.JPG  

2010 Nissan Frontier CC
Dale AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #5

Dale
That one was on sale for $109.00 a while back as someone here reported,of course when I ordered it it was up to near what you paid I think?
Go Figure?

It is nice and it does in fact weigh NOTHING somehow?

On the other hand $79.00 is a lot less if they are available and someone else concluded recently that this model on an inverter uses less power than the Viore on 12vdc.

Try to figure that one out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale AZ View Post
Here is another option.... I just bought this TV that is 12v

I ordered the "VIORE" 19" TV from Walmart on line. Price was $139 + tax and shipping to the house was only 97 cents.

It is a LED, LCD TV

Link to Walmart

It is indeed a 12v TV and comes with a 110v power supply. I had to find a 12 power plug that would work, but I just happen to have an extra one. According to the manual it has a power consumption of 35 watts.

I'm still going to shop around for a better antenna that I can hook up to the cable jack on the outside of trailer. I want a portable antenna, not a fixed one.

All in all I'm happy with it for only a $139 TV!!

Dale - AZ
Old 04-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Ed,
Yes, for $79 it would be hard to find a less expensive tv. It seems that tv prices have really come down lately.

I have also heard the small inverters are pretty efficient.

Dale - AZ
2010 Nissan Frontier CC
Dale AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Coby also makes a 15" under-cabinet TV (Coby KTFDVD1560 ) that has a built-in DVD player and AM/FM radio for about $200. We have the older 10" version, and our only problem with it has been the smaller screen size. I may upgrade . . .

Both the 10" and 15" versions come with an AC power brick that drops the voltage to 12v DC, so it's easy to convert it for use in a trailer. The only thing I did was wire up a 12v regulator circuit to drop the 14.4v converter/charger voltage down to 12. Ours draws well under two amps when the TV/DVD player is running, much less at any other time.

I do two things to keep our TV stowed while we're in-transit. One is I use a nylon web strap I installed holds the TV in its stowed position, the other is I used 3M spray adhesive to mount the protective foam insert that came with the unit's packing to protect the screen to the underside of the unit.

On edit: One other thing I should mention: The unit includes RCA plugs for R/L Audio and analog video in, so you could also use the set to play videos from your videocam or to play your iPod/MP3 player.
Attached Thumbnails
AM-FM-DVD-TV (3).JPG   AM-FM-DVD-TV (4).JPG  

peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:43 AM   #8

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale AZ View Post
I ordered the "VIORE" 19" TV from Walmart on line.
Dale - AZ
The Viore TV can only display 720P so that 1080i signal does not display any better than 720P. On a small display it probably does not matter anyway.
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:58 AM   #9

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Dale
On the other hand $79.00 is a lot less if they are available and someone else concluded recently that this model on an inverter uses less power than the Viore on 12vdc.

Try to figure that one out?
Not difficult to figure out, it is a comparison of apples and oranges. Comparing a 15 vs a 19 inch display the 19 in display has a 60.44% larger display area, The power needed for a display is proportional to the display area. The inverter could be inefficient and the 15 inch TV could still use less power because it is so much smaller.
Visual TV Size Comparison : 15 inch 16x9 display vs 19 inch 16x9 display
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #10

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
. . . Comparing a 15 vs a 19 inch display the 19 in display has a 60.44% larger display area, The power needed for a display is proportional to the display area. . . .
When using the same technology. Some sets use CCFL (cold cathode fluorescent lights) to backlight the screen, others are using LEDs. LEDs use about half the power of a CCFL, so a larger screen using LED technology can easily use less power than a larger CCFL backlit one.

It's easy to spot the LED backlight displays. They're the thin ones.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #11

It was more of a rhetorical comment really.
I install TV for a living,am familiar with the differences to say the least.

Most of my clients are shocked when I explain to them that the 120" screen am installing is like having 4 60" screens,even drawing a picture does not convince them sometimes?