17' Casita vs Scamp 19' - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2018, 11:27 AM   #21

Name: dave
Trailer: scamp
New Mexico
fwiw, we have 16 scamp now but used a 1978 4 wheel fleet slide in pop up for years. listed empty weight was 720 lbs. i think if you special ordered one as just tje shell or found an old one and stripped everything out except for beds or made your own beds, the total weight would be well under 500#. that's a guess based on 720 minus stove, gas tank, sink, ice box, counters, cabinets, etc.
semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:34 AM   #22

Name: dave
Trailer: scamp
New Mexico
you wouldn't get the full hard body protection of a trailer but at least it would be in the back of a truck with hard sides up a good 5' or so i think.
semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 11:38 AM   #23

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Our first RV was a fifth wheel trailer. The beauty of a fifth wheel its like having a two room camper. Room #1 is the bed area up front, while room #2 is the dinette in the rear. It makes it a lot easier for one person to use one area, while the other is watching TV, playing on a computer, or whatever.

If it wasn't for losing the storage capacity of the bed of our truck, we would likely have a fifth wheel trailer. And I would not doubt our next trailer will be a fifth wheel again.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:58 PM   #24

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
We have a 19 standard and have converted it to north south sleeping. Pull up the bunk and you can fit a California king foam mattress with a bit of cutting. Leaves the bottom bunk open and the rear dinette. Our kids prefer to share the rear dinette but they aren’t as tall as yours.

We have a new f150 short bed crew can and we can fit a bunch of stuff in the back.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:08 PM   #25

Name: Dillon
Trailer: Thinking really hard
Texas
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post
Henry, I use cable locks that run through the hitch towers to tie down loops under the platform for the genset, cooler and fuel can. Nothing a pair of bolt cutters and a little effort couldn't overcome but I haven't yet had a problem. Someone did open the cooler and grab a couple of beers once so the lid is locked on it now as well.

As soon as you make me start carrying some bolt cutters around the campground I'll look for someone not quite so mean.

You know what they say about locks.
dmpyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:36 PM   #26

Name: Arthur
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 5th Wheel
New Hampshire
I have a 2005 19 Standard and have towed it with a Ranger and now a Dakota Quad. Enough room in the bed for a aluminum bed box in front of the hitch for extra gear and a 40 gallon water bladder under it and a 3100 Champion generator in the rear with a Weber Q beside it. I also have added a tow and stow on the rear for light stuff and made a lot of other mods including a front to back bed setup with the couch removed and drawers and storage replacing the couch, composting toilet, 15 inch tires, 2 steps, bigger sink, and dual golf card batteries and more that i have forgotten. Its setup and used for boondocking (for months at a time when I retire next August. I have owned 27 foot pushers and 15K 5th wheels, but I just plain love this rig!
ArthurBNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:55 AM   #27

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith2000 View Post
We have a 19 standard and have converted it to north south sleeping. Pull up the bunk and you can fit a California king foam mattress with a bit of cutting. Leaves the bottom bunk open and the rear dinette. Our kids prefer to share the rear dinette but they aren’t as tall as yours.

We have a new f150 short bed crew can and we can fit a bunch of stuff in the back.
Thanks Keith. I have not seen a 19 in person. I hope to stop by Backus this camping season to see the 19 if they have one available to look at. I think I know what you are saying about putting the top bunk up, even with the big bed on the overhang, then using a longer mattress. If I am envisioning this correctly, very ingenious solution. I like it.

But this floor plan means there is no bathroom. Please excuse me, but how do you...ah...accomplish the mundane...take a biological break...or do you pull a port-a-john behind the scamp? Will not having a bathroom limit the market when or if you ever want to sell?

Seriously, I wonder how many Standard units are sold vs the Deluxe (with a bathroom). We have a bathroom in the Casita. Not having a bathroom is a new concept, not quite sure what to make of it.

It's good to know that things can be carried in the bed of the truck when towing the 19, and is what I was hoping someone would say.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:14 AM   #28

New Hampshire
There is a bathroom with a bed conversion

If you take the couch/bunk-bed out and convert to a front to back bed it leaves the side bathroom intact and also creates a lot more storage area including room under the overhang you create for the bed to rest on if you remove the top bunk (this also makes it MUCH easier to climb up to as it is not as wide as the bunk if you leave it). Most folks who do the conversion remove the side supports and replace them with a wood brace that also creates a lot more room and space to hang clothes or even build a small closet; and looks a lot more attractive. You cannot convert a deluxe to a front to back setup only the standard. I have never heard of a deluxe or a standard sold without a bathroom

Check out my pictures in my album in my profile.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:28 AM   #29

Tennessee
Thanks Arthur. I downloaded the Scamp Brochure and misread the floorpan for the Standard 19, it is in very small type. I went on line where the floorpan picture is larger and I see that it does indeed have a bathroom.

Wew! I had visions of trying to convince my wife that we don't need a bathroom...

The Scamp 19 may very well be our next trailer.

For some unknown reason I can't see your pics, but I will keep trying. OK figured out how to see your pics.

I really like your Nature's Head composting toilet. Did Scamp put that in for you or did you put it in after you bought the Trailer?
Old 07-08-2018, 04:45 AM   #30

New Hampshire
Natures Head Toilet

I purchased the toilet and put it in myself, it was very easy. (I don't know if Scamp installs them) My reason for doing it were that I did not want to add a black belly tank to get past the 3 - 4 day limit the 9 gallon Scamp tank has and I wanted to have it for boondocking as it uses no water so it conserves water too and my wife and I go 3 weeks plus with constant use now. FYI my wife was VERY "opposed" and now loves it.

Its an expensive solution but in my mind worth every penny.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:23 AM   #31

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Thanks Keith. I have not seen a 19 in person. I hope to stop by Backus this camping season to see the 19 if they have one available to look at. I think I know what you are saying about putting the top bunk up, even with the big bed on the overhang, then using a longer mattress. If I am envisioning this correctly, very ingenious solution. I like it.

But this floor plan means there is no bathroom. Please excuse me, but how do you...ah...accomplish the mundane...take a biological break...or do you pull a port-a-john behind the scamp? Will not having a bathroom limit the market when or if you ever want to sell?

Seriously, I wonder how many Standard units are sold vs the Deluxe (with a bathroom). We have a bathroom in the Casita. Not having a bathroom is a new concept, not quite sure what to make of it.

It's good to know that things can be carried in the bed of the truck when towing the 19, and is what I was hoping someone would say.
The standard has a side bathroom which is much smaller than the casita bathroom. Really just a toilet, but people will swear they use it as a shower. I’m not that flexible. Ours came with a sink and we eventually took it out to make room.

The other poster is right that removing the couch and adding a custom unit gives more storage and better access. We just like to use the couch sometimes so we haven’t gone that route.

The pillars don’t really incroach that much into the sleeping area since they are below my knees. But I could see that others may want more leg room.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:11 AM   #32

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
17' Casita vs Scamp 19'

Like all Scamps, the toilet & shower are optional. If you don't order the bath package, the enclosure is still there for storage, porta-potty, or in your case, a composting toilet.

If you don't order the shower, the shower pan and wall panels are not installed.

As Keith says, the side bath enclosure is really small, maybe 2'x3'?
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:12 AM   #33

Tennessee
Very great information.

I wonder if it is possible to get the side bathroom/toilet AND the larger 6.0 refrigerator?

Where are the propane tanks located?

Orbital Machine Works makes a Casita Shock Absorber Kit. Has anyone tried to put these shocks on the Scamp 19, or any Scamp for that matter? I have sent an email to Orbital but they usually don't respond quickly.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:17 AM   #34

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The 6.0 cf fridge is only listed as an option on 19' deluxe versions. None of their standard fiberglass cabinet modules are large enough, I think.

Propane tanks and battery are on an open shelf under the loft between the landing gear.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 03:20 PM   #35

Tennessee
Which is preferred to haul the Scamp 19:

The Andersen Ultimate 5th wheel connection

The Scamp 5th wheel mount as sold on their website

The Reese, which I can't seem to find anywhere
Old 07-10-2018, 03:45 PM   #36

New Hampshire
Hitch

I use the Scamp company hitch. Simple and very light.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #37

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Just a reminder to help avoid confusion for some: With Casita, Deluxe means with a bathroom, but with Scamp, Deluxe means a wood interior (cabinets, etc. anyway). With the Scamp Deluxe, there is no way to convert to the north/south bed, well, that I know of.

I was in a Scamp 5th wheel for a tour last year when someone came into the RV park. It was being happily used for extended trips.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:47 PM   #38

Name: Gene
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 19
Washington
The current Scamp factory hitch is just Reese universal bed rails and Reese universal 5th wheel arches and cross member. They bolt a steel plate to the top and bolt the 2" ball through it. I did the same thing my self except I got the custom no drill frame brackets for my truck. I bought a used 16K GTW Reese hitch from a friend. Remove the 5th wheel head and bolted my own plate on. I moved the ball aft a few inches to increase the clearance between my bumper and the camper. It cleared before I just wanted a few more inches for piece of mind. Even with the vehicle specific brackets I came out cheaper. All of the required Reese parts can be purchased brand new separately.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5268.jpg   IMG_5269.jpg  

IMG_5167.jpg   IMG_5181.jpg  

buff30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:26 AM   #39

Tennessee
Gene, rather than bolt your own plate on, which moved the ball back a bit, why did you not just position the bed rails further aft?

When the bed rails are secured, do the bolts go below the frame of the truck or do the bolts only go through the floor of the truck and through the metal anchors shown in the last picture.

Please excuse me Gene I have no knowledge whatsoever of how 5th wheel hitches are secured to a truck.

Where would a person go to have this type of hitch installed if you don't do it yourself? Perhaps an RV dealership? Does Scamp install these 5th wheel goose neck hitches at Backus?

Thank you for the pictures, they really clarify what we are talking about.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:02 AM   #40

Name: Gene
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 19
Washington
When I made my own plate for the ball I could have left the ball centered over the cross member. You can see this in this temporary plate I made to move the camper around my property. Scamp publishes mesurments from the corners of your rear bumper to the center of the ball. I was within them and I had the clearance to get the camper 90 degrees from the truck no problem. The brackets that I used to attach to the frame do not allow me to choose were the bed rails are placed. They must line up with one another. If I would have used universal frame brackets or fabricated my own I could have placed the bed rails where ever I wanted. In the end I did not want to drill holes in my truck frame. And the vehicle specific brackets saved me a ton of time. Each side has three bolts that goes through the bed rail, truck bed, and frame brackets. I think their is also about 5 bolts that only go through the bed rail and truck bed. I probably did not need to move the ball aft, I just wanted to.

As far as Scamp factory I am not sure what they are doing nowadays but they use to tell people you only need to bolt the hitch the truck bed only. With the light weight of the Scamp this may be ok. Me personally I would never risk that.

This video might make more sense than my rambling.

https://youtu.be/m2XeUsnT1lk
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5180.jpg   IMG_5182.jpg  

IMG_5177.jpg  
buff30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp