1971 Havasu Fiberglass Camper - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2018, 08:01 AM   #41

Name: Phyllis
Trailer: shopping
New Jersey
I haven’t picked her up yet. Apparently there are car tires on her
that need to be changed along with some additional work
Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:13 AM   #42

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If you want to get some practice in while you're waiting, it's pretty inexpensive to rent a small U-Haul box trailer for a day. Drive it around town, take it out on the freeway (changing lanes takes some getting used to, especially merging right), take it to an empty parking lot and practice backing.

I'm sure you're anxious to get your new treasure home, and this will make the time pass faster!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:40 AM   #43

New Jersey
Great idea!
Old 03-22-2018, 09:37 AM   #44

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
No, none of this addresses Dancer's question. But I did do some checking. My terminology was not quite correct.

Industry jargon says a "double" is a semi plus one trailer, and a "triple" is a semi plus two. So triple is the number of units or pieces. 28 states, mostly in the West have laws allowing triples. Private and commercial vehicles are separate, but many states allow triple RVs, such as a towed 5th wheel towing a boat. I believe the 5th wheel hitch is viewed as stronger and more secure than a 2" ball from WalMart. Looking into these laws might be a solution for some wanting a boat and an RV.

States have varying restrictions.
Many require a driver's license endorsement or maybe a CDL.
Some only permit a second trailer behind 5th wheels. Others allow hitch balls.
California requires a special drivers license endorsement for any trailer over 10,000 lbs, or motor home over 40 feet. I think most motor homes are under 40 feet, but many trailers exceed 10,000 lbs. Gotcha!
Some have combined length limits. Usually 65, 70, or 75 feet.
A person would want to do their homework before crossing state lines.

Commercial vehicles of course have air brakes applying equal pressure to all 3 units.

I still think I see quadruples or 3 trailers towed at night in Colorado. 13 states allow it. The only 2 East of the Mississippi are Indiana and Ohio, only on turnpikes.

https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguid...triple_towing/

http://www.answers.com/Q/In_which_st...lers_on_a_semi
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:45 AM   #45

Arizona
Registry
Thanks for clarifying that , Tom. I was misusing the terminology. By that definition I do see triples all the time. No quadruples in AZ or CA, I think, day or night.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:03 AM   #46

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
I have seen semis towing two 53' trailers in the Dakotas, or three shorter trailers. They wag pretty good if it is windy... which it usually is in the Dakotas.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:34 AM   #47

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
cross kansas border

if you cross the mo border to Kansas there are all sorts of rigs parked obviously mo doesn't allow it but Kansas does!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:18 PM   #48

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I used to see three 20' trailers in Alberta, but not any more. Lots of two 40' trailers though.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #49

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer View Post
I haven’t picked her up yet. Apparently there are car tires on her
that need to be changed along with some additional work
Phyllis,

That's a great looking trailer; it's sort of like a hardtop Compact Junior!

It sounds like you are getting the bearings and tires addressed which is a great start.

As to towing, when going forward, the trailer will follow you. That sounds pretty simple.

As you go faster, such as on freeways, it might "sway", meaning the trailer might begin to weave left and right as you drive along. Sway indicates the need to 1) immediately slow down and 2) stop and move or add some cargo weight forward of the axle. This will increase the tongue weight and stabilize the trailer.

Perhaps the people that are working on the bearings and tires can help you evaluate the tongue weight in advance.

When driving locally, swing a bit wide on corners as the trailer will always cut a bit inside of the path of the tow vehicle. Sometimes if you can't swing wide entering the turn, you can turn a bit late to help clear curbs and other obstacles.

When backing, your trailer will tend to react pretty quickly and turn very sharply due to the short length from the ball to the trailer's axle. You will find that it can quickly point hard-left or hard-right.

I find it very helpful when backing to keep my hands at the bottom of the steering wheel. Then I just gently move the bottom of the wheel a bit in the direction I want the trailer to go.

This way, with your hands at the bottom of the wheel, right-is-right and left-is-left. Personally, I find that works much better for my feeble brain, particularly when it is under other stresses such as when I have been on the road for a while and I am tired / hungry / worried about the person who is waiting behind me.

Some practice in an empty parking lot can be very helpful.

One final note is to plan ahead, such as when you have to pull into a gas station. Try to evaluate how you will be able to exit. Your little trailer shouldn't pose too much of a challenge in these cases, but it's possible to pull into a little parking lot and get stuck, so it's best to plan ahead.

In general, when maneuvering and backing, try to go slowly and take the time that you need. Try not to yield to worrying about some other driver that may be impatient. Over time, your experience and confidence will grow.

Congratulations, I fully expect that you will have a great experience, especially once you get some experience.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:27 PM   #50

Arizona
Registry
Great post, Mike!

To add, when backing, as soon as the trailer starts to move in the direction you want, immediately start slowly turning the steering wheel back the other way so the vehicle can follow the trailer. If you don't reverse quickly enough, you'll end up jackknifed. If that happens, don't feel bad- we've all been there. As long as the trailer and vehicle don't make contact, you're good. Just pull forward to straighten out and have another go.

Try to avoid cranking the steering wheel when you are not moving- that's hard on the power steering system. Just a little forward or backward motion is much better.

Sounds complicated, but it will soon be second nature. Except when people are watching... then you'll feel like a beginner all over again!

The Havasu looks even more like a hardtop Trailswest Campster. Except for the roof, the molds appear to be identical. The notch around the lower front of the shell, which supports the dinette bases inside, and the wheel well skirts are distinctive.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:56 PM   #51

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
A friend of mine told me there are only three rules to towing: patience, patience and patience!

Seriously, you're patience will be tested and not necessarily by anything you do. I once finished gassing up and pulled off to the side to park so I could get coffee and go to the bathroom. I was out of the way against a curb with no one in front or behind me. When I came out someone had pulled up right behind the trailer and someone else had pulled up right in front. I could have been impatient and tried backing up and pulling forward until I could have extricated myself but I had the patience to wait until the guy in front of me came back out. He did give me the "Oh, was I blocking you" look.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:46 PM   #52

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
The Havasu looks even more like a hardtop Trailswest Campster. Except for the roof, the molds appear to be identical. The notch around the lower front of the shell, which supports the dinette bases inside, and the wheel well skirts are distinctive.
Ah, you definitely have the eye!

I see some difference in the windows, but you are spot on about the wheel wells and the notch. I don't know whether to hope or fear that I will ever learn this much about the various models of trailers!
Attached Thumbnails
1970 Trails West Campster.jpg  

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:37 AM   #53

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Ah, you definitely have the eye!
Yes, definitely from the same mould, though modified for the glassed raised area as opposed to the pop-up.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:32 AM   #54

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
No tip

Really nice looking trailer. Make sure you use stabilizers or jack stands in the rear when unhooked. What usually happens, you have a visitor and you are showing off the trailer. You are inside and the visitor steps in rear and the trailer nose tips up and then you can have a disaster especially if cooking. The Compacts, and other rear entry trailers sometimes tip up which can be very scary.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:43 PM   #55

New Jersey
Hi again everyone
Looks like my little Havasu is just about ready to pick up. I’ve looking everywhere
to try to find the original specs. I’m wondering if anyone knows the weight of the 1971. It’s been redone so I’m sure it’s probably different but just wondering.
Thanks for all your help
Phyllis
Old 03-28-2018, 12:39 PM   #56

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Hi again everyone
Looks like my little Havasu is just about ready to pick up. I’ve looking everywhere
to try to find the original specs. I’m wondering if anyone knows the weight of the 1971. It’s been redone so I’m sure it’s probably different but just wondering.
Thanks for all your help
Phyllis
I have never seen any specs or original literature around on that model. So for now just guesstimate it at a generous figure of 1,200 lbs. Someplace on your trip try to find a highway scale to weigh it. You could do an advance search so you know where they are.

Take along some antacid, helps to keep your stomach from hurting from the stress of doing something new. Your body will be reacting to that stress in all sorts of ways. Avoid too much caffeine as it will make you more tense both mentally and physically and that makes it uncomfortable on a long drive. Be aware enough to make yourself relax you shoulders after a tricky situation. If your brain starts looping into excess worry just say to yourself ...stop...enough. You might have to do it several times to get the message across the resistance barrier. It is a psychological coping technique that actually does work to reduce anxiety.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:48 PM   #57

New Jersey
Thanks! I hope it’s less than that as I’ll be selling it �� since my tow vehicle is only able to pull 1500 lbs. I decided to have it brought to me for the most part. I really don’t want to tow it that far first time out. I’ll probably meet the guy bringing it several hours from home. Another thing. When it was restored, the frame was taken off and they put the camper on a utility trailer frame. The tires on it are 14 in car tires, 2016 radial with no toy and lots of tread. What do you all think of that. The max load is 1163 which personally I think I should change.
Thanks!
Phyllis
Old 03-28-2018, 05:03 PM   #58

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Thanks! I hope it’s less than that as I’ll be selling it �� since my tow vehicle is only able to pull 1500 lbs. I decided to have it brought to me for the most part. I really don’t want to tow it that far first time out. I’ll probably meet the guy bringing it several hours from home. Another thing. When it was restored, the frame was taken off and they put the camper on a utility trailer frame. The tires on it are 14 in car tires, 2016 radial with no toy and lots of tread. What do you all think of that. The max load is 1163 which personally I think I should change.
Thanks!
Phyllis
My tow vehicle is rated for 1,500 lbs and it has no trouble pulling a Campster which is only slightly less in weight than a Havasu. The Havasu is likely around at most a 100 lbs heavier and that is due to having the extra windows and a little more fiberglass up top. So quit worrying, you are going to be just fine for towing weight unless you overload it with the gear you take along.

As to the load rating....each tire can carry 1163 and since you have two tires you double that number and that total is more than your trailer will weigh when fully loaded and on the road.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:33 PM   #59

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Get it weighed and make a decision on tow vehicle based on facts. Our weigh stations in Washington turn their screens to the window when they are closed so you can get a pretty close weight at no cost. I can also get it weighed for free at the local transfer station (truck and trailer total) for free as long as I don't ask for a certificate.

Based on that, my Campster, weighed about 2600 pounds fully loaded on the way home from a trip. Mine may or may not represent the weight of yours because mine has been refurbished and I carry a few comfort items, probably too many.

As much as we would like to tow it behind our CRY for short trips, we probably won't to be safe.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:56 PM   #60

New Jersey
Yay! Thanks so much. I worry about everything but I really want to enjoy this. I pack very lightly. Only going to dog events for the time being and most things will be in the RAV. Now to get a small generator since will be camping on field with big class A’s
Thanks to everyone who replied
Phyllis

Tags
havasu