1975 Hunter Compact - recent purchase - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2007, 06:54 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
i just bought this today! i am looking forward to sheltered camping. it is in unbelievably good condition for it's age. there are only minor woodwork to do in the interior and the head/wall liner is in great shape. i will be visiting this site often as i do some minor tinkering. thanks to ed harris for telling me about this wonderful site.

joey
JoeyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:06 PM   #2

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
How about some pictures, Joey?

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 08:20 PM   #3

Trailer: Hunter 1 / Chevy Blazer
Registry
Joey,

Email me and we can compare. Lcballoon@cox.net. I would love to see it. We are sure cornering the market on Hunter/Compacts in Calif.

Linda
Linda of San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:14 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Congrats Joey!

And yes, we want pictures!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:32 PM   #5

Ditto

Quote:
Congrats Joey!

And yes, we want pictures!
Mike jagular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:09 AM   #6

here are some pics of the compact II as i found her.
Attached Thumbnails
PIC_0017.jpg   PIC_0018.jpg  

PIC_0020.jpg  
Old 04-11-2007, 10:11 AM   #7

more pics of the compact II.
Attached Thumbnails
PIC_0019.jpg   PIC_0021.jpg  

PIC_0022.jpg  
Old 04-11-2007, 10:14 AM   #8

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Thanks for the pictures! What are your plans for her? As you can see from my signature, I have a similar trailer, a Trailswest Campster, but I have not even seen mine in person yet. (Still a couple of months before I can pick her up.)

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:24 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I split this out of the Referral topic. Thought Joey's find warranted more views..hence the move to General Chat
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:50 AM   #10

i am planning on just cleaning up. this is my very first one and i have a general idea of what to do - i could always change my mind once i get started. i have to get new curtains and re-upholster the cushions before a camping trip on cinco de mayo weekend. the upcoming camping trip was the main reason for me to buy a little fiberglass camper. i will most likely try to redo the cabinets and put in wood floors when i have more time this summer. the seller gave me some hardware for the rear awning but it is missing the fabric. does anyone have a pic or sketch as to how it attaches? i will keep you all updated as to how this turns out.

thanks,

joey
Old 04-11-2007, 01:13 PM   #11

Nice find--I had a Compact J and when i redid it I got most of my material for fixing from second hand shops.Some good inexpensive items in this type of stores.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Joey,
Nice trailer. I see you have the hardware for the side window awnings. I've not seen that on a current trailer. Thanks for the photos.

Tom Trostel
Old 04-11-2007, 03:45 PM   #13

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Joey
I guess this is why I did not hear back from you?!?

Congratulations!

I see in one of the shots that your truck is in the background....How did it pull?
I have to say I am a little releived that you will not be pulling the 4500 with the VW,especially that far.

I am glad that you found this one,it does seem to have a lot of things "Right" on it.

Have fun and welcome,I told you,you would like it here!
Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:15 PM   #14

hi ed,

sorry for not getting back to you right away. i was trying to figure out the logistics of going to get your trailer or having it shipped when i saw this ad on the paper - it was only 30 miles away instead of 1400. i did not really know that i would like it until i got to see it. my vw did a great job towing it especially with the high winds we have had lately. i did notice a difference when accelerating, uphill grades and stopping. i guess i will have to just remember that it is there and drive carefully. today, i fixed all the exterior lights, went to the upholstery shop to have the cushions redone as well as new curtains that match the cushions, and took off the vinyl material that collapses with the poptop so the upholstery shop can use it as a guide to make me a new one. i have to figure out how the rear awning works so i can have the material for that made as well. i can see how this can be as addicting as my volkswagen hobby. thanks again and good luck with your trillium sale. how is the fiber stream you just got?

joey
Old 04-11-2007, 09:39 PM   #15

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Joey, all it takes is money!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:55 PM   #16

money is always something to keep in mind. when i was looking for a fiberglass trailer, i got a general idea of what a "good" buy would be and a general idea of how much upgrades and repairs would be. considering that i am well below my expected budget so far, i hope that the minor repairs and upgrades i do will not even exceed my budget for buying a trailer before doing any repairs. i suspect that before i am done - or maybe never ever done, like my volkswagens - i may well exceed the budget. but i will be having fun with it, that's for sure!

joey
Old 04-11-2007, 11:22 PM   #17

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Hey Joey,
So you have a VW Transporter type truck then? They're very rare here in the USA aren't they? I've seen one running around in my area, caught my eye cause u just don't see em in that more modern body style like yours...
VERY NICE looking Compact II bro, and great pics, I can see many similarities between yours and mine, and a few differences too. I LOVE that yours has the little side awnings for the windows, mine has the holes from where they must have been at one time, but are gone and the holes are plugged up! What year is yours? I believe mine's a '73. Somewhere on here I have the details of mine posted, but Im sure we'll compare notes at some point. I noticed (in your pics) that you only have the stove top, while mine's got an oven also. Though Im not sure who would ever bake on a camping trip...LOL
Anyway, congrats on a great find on a LIGHTWEIGHT rig, and welcome to the family here! Let me know how much the replacement fabric for the poptop is, mine's getting pretty sorry looking, but I don't want to tear it apart unless I have an idea of how wicked it's going to cost, what kind of place to look for to do the work, etc...
Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:18 AM   #18

Trailer: Hunter 1 / Chevy Blazer
Registry
Joey,
Great pictures. I had my pop up remade in Chula Vista. I will send you the info if you want, my cost was $250.00. But that was 5 years ago. I too like the window awings, I didn't know there was a awing in the back. I have a stand alone awing. I jealous of the refer, I only have an ice box. I like the cushion along the front wall, but my table goes almost to the wall.

We need to have a San Diego Ralley? Anyone?

Linda
Linda of San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:35 AM   #19

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
hi ed,

how is the fiber stream you just got?

joey
Joey
I like it a lot.
It has become so cold and windy here again that I have put some things I wanted to do on hold until the weather moderates a little.

It is fun learning the ins and outs of a new rig and then trying to work with wha is already there to improve it.

I am beginning to wonder if the quest to have the bathroom was such a smart idea like I was convinced it was?
Live and Learn!?!?

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:12 AM   #20

i am having my popup fabric made at ted's upholstery in national city. he is charging me $200. i am having him make a couple more sections with screens that can be closed for inclement weather.

i have not tried to turn on my refer just yet. i will get to that next after i get done with the electrical - none of it works. i am thinking of getting the basics to work for now and ripping everything out and starting over after my camping trip.

i would not mind attending a so cal ralley. it would be great to see some faces from this community as well as getting some wonderful ideas for upgrading and maintenance.

joey