1983 16' Scamp!? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2015, 08:48 AM   #1

Name: Emily
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
1983 16' Scamp!?

Any help would be appreciated!

My husband found a 16' 1983 Scamp, we think layout 4 for sale for $3200 or best. We are not scared of the age, and like the idea of a scamp, because replacing parts will probably be easier....fingers crossed! This would be our first egg. Is this a good price, and what should we lookout for?? HELP

Thanks for your time,

"M"
Em H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:45 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The Buyer's Guide is a helpful resource for inspecting a used trailer: Fiberglass RV - Document Center
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:01 AM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Buyers Checklist 5th item down Fiberglass RV - Document Center

Look to the edges where wall meets floor for any signs of leaks. Under seats, back side of closets and from underside. Most things that leak like windows or fittings water are along edge. Water leaking hits floor and then flows against wall until it finds a way out.

Check clearance between top of the tires and wheel well. Should be a decent amount of clearance, if not the suspension built into the axle may be shot. Do a search of the site for shot axle should be lots of pictures and descriptions. Not a deal breaker in my book to replace an axle but does have a cost.

And before Bob can say it (it is true) if the seller does not know if it works it probably doesn't. "Never use the fridge" or stove, or toilet or shower or AC can be a good indication that item will need repair or replacement unless maintenance appears to be first rate and a good reason exists for not using the item.

Fridge in camper takes many hours to cool down, ask them to have it on before going to see camper so it has a chance to get cool. Some water available for the tank to see that the water systems works is good, as is having a 12 volt battery to hook up. Also being able to plug in to power. Nice to know that things like lights, water pump, or fan actually work.

Not a bad price at all for a functional scamp. Some stuff you can work on over time as long as you can use it without those repairs or improvements.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:04 AM   #4

Michigan
PS. I would not wait to jump on that trailer, go ready to purchase and go soon. They do not stay on the market long as a rule. Not unheard of for them to be purchased sight unseen by the buyer.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #5

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
We bought a 86 and all of the above applies.
Many are "kits" and the definition of good condition (if stated) varies a great deal.
Rotten floors are very common along with cracked and poorly repaired frames (rusted out too depending on where it has been).
Small leaks do major damage and even though it is a fiberglass shell the many penetrations give lots of opportunities for leaks.
If it smells musty and you see mildew and mold then the moisture level is high enough for the wood to rot if any water collects. Some of the smell is the rot in the wood.
If the trailer has not been renovated then I would plan on doing it.
Take an ice pick with you to probe the floors in the back and front and "corners. Where the vents are located for the refrigerator will let in water as well.
New flooring often hides the rotten floor.
The entire shell is supported only where the frame passes under it in four places.If the shell is sitting on the frame and shows signs of "mashing in" then the integrity of the floor is in serious question.
I am not saying you shouldn't buy the trailer, but rather know what you are getting into and how long and how much money it will absorb.
Many here are in the process of renovating their Scamps for this very reason.
The one I bought only needed a floor, frame repair, and everything inside.
I turned my "project" into a project to upgrade the whole thing and make it the way we wanted one. The guiding light was what "She Who Must Be Obeyed" wanted.
Good quiet A/C, good floors, twin beds, no oven or gas burners, good sink, bath and shower you can stand up in, etc.
The cost of the trailer is the smaller chunk of money compared to the rest of the project.
Here is a link to some of my posted pictures on my project:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...lbums1521.html
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:39 AM   #6

Michigan
Nice

Awesome work JD, I do like a project, but not looking to do a project of that scale. Wish I had the time, money, and tools.....

Thanks for the info everyone. I need to search this website a little more.

"M"
Old 06-03-2015, 10:13 AM   #7

Michigan
Possible near future Egg Owners

Evaluation check List printed. Money in place$$. PO took "for sale" sign off camper for us. Maybe a 10 minute drive from our home. SO eggcited!! Hoping for the best. Thought we would start with a 13', after being a longtime tent camper, but.....
Old 08-05-2015, 07:22 AM   #8

Michigan
Lux Tent

So, we did purchase the 1983 Scamp!! I hope to figure out soon how to post pics from my phone. I think we have finally figured out the leaking issues, and have gutted everything, except the closet. We put 4 temporary support posts up till we actually get the planned supports in. (Butter Cup inspired!) Before we get to supports, the floor is the biggest issue. The floor is so soft in spots, and actually has holes where you can see the ground from rot. I was thinking we could fix this, but decided to take it to a fiberglass/boat place instead. We shall see how much that will cost us. Dropping it off for a quote today, fingers crossed!

We will be camping this weekend without our Scamp. This might be our last tent camping trip, then again it might not. Ohh the plans and projects!! For the moment I have been calling our Scamp "Lux" short for Luxury Tent. We will see if it sticks.

No matter how you do it, Happy Camping Everyone!!
"M"
Old 08-05-2015, 09:13 AM   #9

Michigan
Congratulations!

The floor only rots because there is a leak (or more than one) You need to find those and have them all sealed before replacing the floor unless you can protect it from rain & snow.

I can't speak to a 16 ft. but the floor is in sections, the front and rear are not too awful to replace. Mostly just making a template, cutting the replacement wood to fit from the template, then cut the existing "tabbing" fiberglass used like tape to attach floor to walls. Replace wood, replace fiberglass.

Yeah I know sound soooo easy right? Really not that bad. With the added bonus of stuff covers your work when you are done so who cares if it looks like it was done by an amateur! Mine appears to be holding everything in place just fine but no one is going to look at it and try to hire me to fix their boat of FG corvette :-)

I guess what I'm saying is if the boat shop price is too high you can do this, people on the forum will provide help and advice every step of the way. I did my front section of floor and compared to adding a section of deck on the back of the house this was probably easier. But I am biased I hate digging post holes.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:57 AM   #10

Michigan
Floor replacement

Yes, I think we could or can replace the floor, and I have been getting great info from this forum, but time is an issue too. We have a very active 1 year old, so the little time we have to work on the Scamp after he goes to bed is minimal, and I love sleep too

I think we have fixed the leaking. It has been dry for the whole month of July!! Woo-Hoo!!!

Steel Car Port is next on the list. We need to keep our Scamp protected!!
Old 09-21-2015, 06:26 PM   #11

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
I'm in the process of replacing a fourth of the floor in by 82 burro. It is a bit of a job - especially with your one year old, but really do-able if you can give it a couple of hours a day for a week (or if you are slow like me - a couple of weeks). You will be much more familiar with your travel trailer at the end of your efforts!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp