20 Mule Team Borax - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #1

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
20 Mule Team Borax

In my homemade soap making I was reading on the box of 20 Mule Team Borax that it will shine up fiberglass. Thought it was only good in diaper pails as I remember.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Is that stuff still being sold, I remember it from years ago, like maybe the late 50's. I think it was in a metal can, oval shaped, small shaker top, black and white can.They sponsored some TV show, a western maybe. And I had a model of the team and wagon.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I believe Kamper Bob mentioned them. Boraxo is still being made today, long before OxiClean.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Rob
Trailer: Casita
Kansas
Registry
The first director of the National Park Service was Stephen Mather, a millionaire famous for his efforts in advertising and sales promotion for the Pacific Coast Borax company. In particular, he is credited with the idea of adding the label "20 Mule Team Borax" He basically made an almost worthless resource a household name with a huge demand.

In 1913 after visiting Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks he wrote a letter highly critical of the deplorable conditions he had witnessed in the parks to his college friend Secretary of the Interior, Franklin Lane.

Lane responded: "Dear Steve: If you don't like the way the national parks are run, why don't you come on down to Washington and run them yourself." That challenge prompted Mather to come to Washington and do just that.

The rest is history. As you wander in the national parks you will find (sometimes in obscure places) bronze plaques honoring Mather with the words: "There will never come an end to the good that he has done." The placques were erected in all the National Parks upon his death.

I never miss an opportunity to thank him when in the Parks.

The National Parks: America's Best Idea: People - Stephen Mather | PBS
Old 01-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Is that stuff still being sold,.
Very much so. You can buy it at most major stores such as Safeway, Walmart and Target etc.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #6

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Yes they still make Borax. The product is used in TV,Computer, and telephone screens. Their are two mines that supply the world with product. One is at Boron,California just off I-40 in the desert. The other mine is in South America. When you see containers on a train or ship with the words K-LINE they are carrying Borax.
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:27 PM   #7

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
The TV show sponsored by 20 Mule Team Borax was called "Death Valley Days" and ran from 1952 to 1975. From 1964 to 1965, an obscure actor named Ronald Reagan was the host and starred in the episodes. Check out this clip on YouTube:

Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #8

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Boraxo is the best, least expensive fibreglass cleaner there is as far as I'm concerned.
It removes mold, bird droppings, bugs and removes the chalk all in one scrub.
I wet the trailer down, sprinkle the Boraxo on and use a scrub brush.
One wash and your ready for wax.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:44 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron100 View Post
The first director of the National Park Service was Stephen Mather, a millionaire famous for his efforts in advertising and sales promotion for the Pacific Coast Borax company. In particular, he is credited with the idea of adding the label "20 Mule Team Borax" He basically made an almost worthless resource a household name with a huge demand.

In 1913 after visiting Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks he wrote a letter highly critical of the deplorable conditions he had witnessed in the parks to his college friend Secretary of the Interior, Franklin Lane.

Lane responded: "Dear Steve: If you don't like the way the national parks are run, why don't you come on down to Washington and run them yourself." That challenge prompted Mather to come to Washington and do just that.

The rest is history. As you wander in the national parks you will find (sometimes in obscure places) bronze plaques honoring Mather with the words: "There will never come an end to the good that he has done." The placques were erected in all the National Parks upon his death.

I never miss an opportunity to thank him when in the Parks.

The National Parks: America's Best Idea: People - Stephen Mather | PBS
A rich businessman who was able to put his experience to use in government, and did a great job. I wish we could have more practical-minded people like him in such positions. Thanks for posting that about Stephen Mather; I never knew.

My wife occasionally makes the homemade laundry soap, too, and borax is included in that recipe. It's very economical and seems to work just fine.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
I use Borax with every laundry. Have done for years and years. 1/2 cup in each load and I never have to use bleach. If you have a front load washing machine that starts to smell, use borax and that has cleared up mine - better, faster and way cheaper than those little plugs they sell to do the job.
Bizzian
Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #11

Name: Louise
Trailer: 1985 UHaul
Michigan
I love borax. It cleans beautifully, deodorizes, and has none of the aftereffects that cause problems with so many cleaners. I've used it for all kinds of things, but especially appreciated it in washing down dog kennels -- no chemical burns on paws. Around here, I find the '20 mule team' brand in the laundry section of most grocery stores. Great stuff!

I didn't know about Stephen Mather either, but I'll be thinking of him now!
havingfunnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I like the hand powder, Boraxo. It's great for cleanup after working in the garden. Unfortunately the local stores have stopped carrying it and I wondered if it had been discontinued. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I also use homemade laundry soap using 20 Mule Team Borax and love the way it cleans and makes my clothes smell fresh. I find it in the laundry detergent aisle of my local grocery store. Good to know it will also spruce up fiberglass.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Fire retardant

My parents made a spray with Borax that they used on natural Christmas trees. My mother would snap off a twig in an inconspicuous spot and try lighting it with a match. It would put the match out. After a while, when it stopped doing this, was when they took the tree down.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTTRV View Post
Yes they still make Borax. The product is used in TV,Computer, and telephone screens. Their are two mines that supply the world with product. One is at Boron,California just off I-40 in the desert. The other mine is in South America. When you see containers on a train or ship with the words K-LINE they are carrying Borax.
Although K Line does move Borax out of California they are a global shipping company that owns many ships both container and bulk. In my professional carrier I have dealt with them many times and as such I am aware they also have container contracts with large companies such as Walmart, Target, Honda and Toyota to name just a few. They move hundreds of thousands of containers a year for those company's. Most of the Borax that K-Line moves is shipped in bulk using specially designed rail cars that some call Hoppers and unlike a standard shipping container they have openings at the top and the bottom to allow the Borax to be poured in and and out of it. It is usually loaded into the holds of bulk vessels using a conveyor or pneumatic system. K Line also has a large number of bulk vessels that call into North America that may actually be coal, pulp & paper or grain carriers. They also have special car carrier vessels that could be bringing you your new Audi or BMW.

If I was a betting person I would bet that a container I saw on a rail spur in the US with the K-Lines name on it actually contained my next Iphone, TV or parts for your car or trailer over Borax.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft Boler 1986
Registry
Now that's something I'm going to have to try out. Wow! and by the way what is a Buffalo Plaid?
Vivian L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #17

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
In Death Valley, past Furnace Creek, there is a site where Borax was mined and they have the old rail cars and wagons from way back.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:18 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian Layne-Parkin View Post
Now that's something I'm going to have to try out. Wow! and by the way what is a Buffalo Plaid?
A primarily red and black "flannel" pattern worn by the original settlers of our nation.... Google Buffalo Plaid.... step back into history....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #19

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
Another little known use for borax is as a preservative in the taxidermy industry. Up until the mid-1900's arsenic was used to preserve the skins of birds and small animals. Someone discovered that borax worked as well without the toxicity issues. Use of arsenic in taxidermy shops soon ceased. Straight borax and borax-based preservatives are still widely used in bird taxidermy. It not only dries and preserves the skins, but allegedly repels insects on mounted birds.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #20

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
Borax makes a good insecticide for various "creepy crawlies" in the home and garden.
How to Use Borax to Get Rid of Ants and Cockroaches
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote