2008 Bigfoot 25FQ - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-03-2007, 05:24 PM   #41

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Brian, there is plenty of clearance on the 25' model to undersling a genset. The 25' now comes with three steps to the door rather than the one on the 175 and two on the 21' trailers. The 25' frame is substantially higher off the ground.
Quote:
The frame for the Onan generator is indeed slung under the trailer frame (forward, right about where the bed would be in the FB model). The factory rep said that it didn't change the clearance.
Thanks for the info.

I had been guessing the floor height at about 24", but maybe it's more like 28" (I have to remember that the 25' is 4" taller than the 21" I've seen)... and I just checked Onan generator specs and found reasonable units shorter (at about 15") than I expected (I was thinking at least 18"). Net result: enough space, if properly done.

The height of these units is unfortunate. As trailers get longer, they get taller so the tail will clear (maintaining the departure angle). Just jacking up the height, instead of more sophisticated methods such as tapering the frame depth or stepping up the rear floor, is the industry norm. The result is a difficult climb for people who have trouble with stairs... which is, ironically, a large part of the RV market. In a motorhome that space underneath is largely "basement" storage, but it is generally unused in trailers.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:24 PM   #42

--><div class='quotemain'>... I will take a photo from the underside once I get it.[/quote]
Thanks!
Old 10-03-2007, 07:09 PM   #43

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Photo of 25FB from rear, noting the 3 steps

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0689_cropped.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	10394

Photo of production line 25 w/o storage box - painted skirts and graphics sure add to the trailers appearance

Name:	IMG_0699_resized.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	10395

Rick B
Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 01:12 PM   #44

I like the painted lower section, but I would prefer to avoid the graphics. This is a very individual taste thing, and while the graphics on RVs in general (not just Bigfoot) are intended to break up the huge white spaces, I don't like them. I can't imagine putting something similar on the broad sides of my minivan. Personally, if I were factory ordering, I would ask about leaving them off.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:31 PM   #45

Quote:
I like the painted lower section, but I would prefer to avoid the graphics. This is a very individual taste thing, and while the graphics on RVs in general (not just Bigfoot) are intended to break up the huge white spaces, I don't like them. I can't imagine putting something similar on the broad sides of my minivan. Personally, if I were factory ordering, I would ask about leaving them off.
+++++++++++++++++++++=

Brian: I did not order the 'painted skirts' as it was about a $1200 option, and not sure if rock chips will alter the appearance. Bigfoot has a local body shop apply the paint. As my wife works at a body shop, I can get it painted for a better price than $1200. I really don't like the painted continental tire kit. I have had trouble with air bubbles appearing under several decals on my current trailer and hope that this does not happen with the Bigfoot.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:15 PM   #46

Trailer: Okanagan
I am considering a Bigfoot series 2500 travel trailer, probably the new model, 25FQ.

Bigfoot trailers have 1.5” insulation in the walls for an R8 insulation value; I don’t know about the floor or ceiling values. Arctic Fox and Komfort are both known as 4-season RVs and insulation values of about R9 in the wall, R16-19 in the ceiling, and R12 in the floor, but are stick-built/aluminum frame trailers. How well does the Bigfoot series 2500 perform in cold weather, especially compared to brands that advertise much higher insulation values?

For camping/traveling quite a bit on gravel (often fairly rough) roads, how do you think the long-term structural integrity of the series 2500 compares to the new 3000? Although the 3000 comes with a longer warranty, it just seems to me the clamshell design is more foolproof.

I will be in Spokane, Washington on October 12 and 13 and had hoped there was a dealer there, but there is not. Do you know of anyone in the Spokane area who has a newer Bigfoot series 2500 trailer (especially a 25RQ or 25FQ) that I could contact and hopefully tour their trailer?
Terry Berkhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:41 PM   #47

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Terry, the question is more one of weight than design. I've camped in near zero temps last fall in my 25RQ and we were warm and toasty with the furnace only running occasionally. I've never camped using one of the others, so I can't compare.

The 3,000 series trailers are big. And heavy. They require a 3/4 ton truck minimum, and a one-ton is probably better. A half-ton with a V-8 and a 6500 lb tow rating can handle the 2500 series trailers nicely. I tow mine occasionally with my 3.4L V6 Tundra (even though it's a little over it's weight rating). It's not a ball of fire, but it handles the trailer nicely. You'd never do that with a 3000 series BF.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:39 PM   #48

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
I am seeing prices of around $55,000.00 Canadian for the 25FQ. OUCH!

Is that what they are really going for?

That would be “elevantyseven” thousand USD.
(Bill Cosby’s why of saying a lot of money)

Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 07:56 PM   #49

Quote:
I am seeing prices of around $55,000.00 Canadian for the 25FQ. OUCH!
Is that what they are really going for?
Mike: In US$ perhaps, but about $50 k Canadian (Canadian $1.00 = $1.02 US)

I think base models are closer to $40. Options can easily add $10 k.

The unit in Vernon had an MSRP of $54 k before PDI, freight,and 'market expansion fees', but was fully loaded with LCD TV, AC, microwave, and most if not all other options, including the generator ready package ($686). As you know, these are MSRP prices and who pays MSRP.

I hope the quality is there. Mine is now scheduled to be off-line next Tuesday.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:14 PM   #50

Thanks. Who are you buying yours from?
Old 10-05-2007, 10:29 PM   #51

Quote:
Thanks. Who are you buying yours from?
Chemo RV, here in Williams Lake, where I live
Old 10-05-2007, 10:40 PM   #52

Quote:
I am considering a Bigfoot series 2500 travel trailer, probably the new model, 25FQ.
Do you know of anyone in the Spokane area who has a newer Bigfoot series 2500 trailer (especially a 25RQ or 25FQ) that I could contact and hopefully tour their trailer?
Terry:

I have a few photos I took Monday of the 25FB

front bed from front door

Name:	front_bed.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	10420

front pass thru

Name:	front_pass_thru.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	10421

bath/galley area

Name:	galley_bath.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	10422

I should have mine later next week and could take photos if you are unable to find one in the Spokane area
Old 10-06-2007, 12:02 PM   #53

For Terry's benefit or others, I have posted photos of the 25FB that is for sale on Vancouver Island. they were taken by a friend of mine who lives nearby. It is perhaps the first production unit, and Bigfoot has made a few alterations since then, such as the new decals.

You can view at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickwb
Old 10-11-2007, 07:11 PM   #54

My Bigfoot 25FB rolled off the assembly line today about 11 am and arrived here after 5 pm, will be PDI'ed etc. tomorrow, and I expect to go out for a few days of camping, as temps are forecast to be about 14C - last Thursday we had snow.

I will do some photos, measurements etc. after I take delivery

Photo with plastic protective film

Name:	IMG_0703_resized.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	10497
Old 10-12-2007, 06:44 AM   #55

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Lookin' good Rick! Congrats! Keep us posted!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:26 AM   #56

Congratulations.

Take lots of photos of your camp out.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:23 PM   #57

Had our shakedown trip this weekend, 2 nights at a local lake. Weather was quite mild, so was able to relax a bit; there were a few squashed bugs on the front of the trailer, so we ended up washing the trailer and applied some fibreglass wax.

I made special instructions to Bigfoot when I placed the order:

1) make provisions for two 6 volt batteries together with the 30 lb propane tank. As you will see, that was not accomplished, with the two batteries at the front of the trailer and two 20 lb bottles fitted in front. The dealer is going to install a piece of ready rod to hold the tanks down.
2) do not install cupboard doors where microwave would be installed. This was accomplished
3) do not install the drawers under the front queen bed. This was also done, with a great amount of storage space for large items such as my LaFuma recliners.

You will notice that Bigfoot now puts some checker plate at the front of the trailer - good idea to protect against gravel, etc.

I included a photo of the front underside of the trailer when the optional generator would be located.

All in all, I am very pleased with the trailer, with a very efficient furnace (only ran for about 2 to 3 minutes at a time). Fit and finish was first class, excellent job on the fibreglass work and interior wood work.

It is now back at the dealer, getting my solar panel installed and attending to a few adjustments and repairs.

My last two trailers has A/C and microwave; really of little value for dry camping. I opted for two fantastic fans, but the trailer is roughed in for both the microwave and A/C.

You can view photos at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickwb

I guess I am now again a fibreglass rv owner, and only need to work _ years to pay for it
Old 10-16-2007, 12:55 PM   #58

Thanks, Rick, for the update and the photos!

I would guess that must be just about the only 25' Bigfoot ever sold without air conditioning... but the logic of leaving it out makes perfect sense to me.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:19 PM   #59

Name: Dave & Kathie
Trailer: 2013 Escape 21
Oregon
Registry
Rick

Beautiful trailer! Thanks for the pics. Did you get the u-shaped dinette or the 'standard'?

Dave and Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:46 PM   #60

Quote:
Rick

Beautiful trailer! Thanks for the pics. Did you get the u-shaped dinette or the 'standard'?
Standard, as it would make into a bed if required plus I think more comfortable to sit at than the u shaped dinette. The U shape is also additional money, and I have spent enough anyway

Tags
bigfoot