2011 13' Scamp Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 13' Scamp
California
2011 13' Scamp Trailer

My wife and I recently decided we want to purchase a small travel trailer and came across Scamp. I came across a 2004 that was in excellent shape for $6000. It came with the standard equipment but upon replying to the add I found out it was sold. I then came across a 2011 also with standard equipment, however it did have a few minor upgrades like an outside outlet and vinyl flooring. They are asking $11,000 for it. What confuses me is I was quoted $9800 for a standard 13' Scamp trailer and found out things like an outlet and vinyl flooring were less than $100 each. If I added an a/c unit and awning it would only bump up the price an extra $1500. I could get a brand new Scamp with more options for about $500 to$1000 more than what they are asking! Based on my research the depreciation value of any trailer is 30% once it's driven off the lot. That would bring the price of the 2011 down to about $7150 (based on a generous $12,000 value when it was purchased new). I understand the Scamp holds its value better than normal but this seems a little ridiculous to me. Any thoughts on a fair price? I was thinking $8000 to $8500 seems more than fair.
mkrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #2

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
I would look at the section on this forum for trailers for sale and see what the asking prices are for others previously for sale. That will give you a ballpark of what they go for. Some that are 20 years old still get $5k-6k. So standard depreciation, like for a car, does not necessarily apply to FG eggs.

Alice

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:32 PM   #3

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp 16 Layout 4
New York
Don't forget the convenience factor of finding one close to home. It's long way to Backus and back, or paying the delivery charge.

Ken
kenl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:06 PM   #4

Name: Chris
Pennsylvania
Registry
I was always wondering how much a new one is- there is no info on the website and scamp is a bit slow in replying.
Of course in this case I would go with the new one- there is just so much less risk that something is wrong and it has a warranty,too.... and if you don't like it you can still sell it with a profit
chse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #5

Trailer: LittleGuy Classic Teardrop ('Baby Osmo') (Previously 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe)
Mike -- as you may have gathered, the general rule of 30% depreciation doesn't apply to most fiberglass eggs. In fact, it is pretty easy to add a few simple modifications to a Scamp to make it worth more than new. We have found that most sellers can get their price.

That said, there are always some sellers out there that assume that standard depreciation rules apply, so it is possible to find them cheaper if you are willing to act immediately, travel some distance, and possibly purchase sight-unseen. Those will be snapped up, often within hours of being listed.
Mr. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #6

California
Thanks for your responses. It seems clear to me that especially with a two year old barely used scamp is pretty much going for was it was sold for brand new. I'm new to this "RV" thing so I'm up for any words of advice. Thanks again.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Harley Davidsons are the same way, due to a waiting period before delivery, your used/new one may sell for more than one still unproduced. In addition it may have been the deluxe model or had a bath.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:54 PM   #8

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
I paid almost full price for a 2 yr old Scamp with bath and shower. It had only been used 2 or three times. The owners threw in a Honda Generator, cover and other small goodies which helped to ease the pain. Buying used, I didn't have to pay sales tax either. I had to get A/C installed though. If I lived in CA, the plates were permanent, that would've helped too. But, I'm happy with what I got, for what I paid. It fits in my garage and can be ready to go at a moments notice.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #9

California
If that's the case I might as well order one myself and make a trip out to Backus myself. There are a few places on the way and back I'd like to see anyway. I also grew up in Minnesota and haven't been back for over 15 years so it might be fun to visit. On another note, I'm no business major but it seems to me that Scamp Trailers have become quite popular. I would think it would be within their best interest to open a plant on the West Coast and East Coast. I know for me paying between $1500 and $2000 to have it delivered seems like a complete waste of money. Just my two cents.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrueger View Post
..... but it seems to me that Scamp Trailers have become quite popular. I would think it would be within their best interest to open a plant on the West Coast and East Coast. I know for me paying between $1500 and $2000 to have it delivered seems like a complete waste of money. Just my two cents.
HAVE become quite popular? My man, where have YOU been? I don't know if ANY of the all molded towable manufacturers have any stock sitting on their lots waiting to be sold.... very doubtful. ALL seem to be selling as many as they can build. Also, none want to expand to the point of quality suffering. They all seem to be perfectly happy with the current business modal. One plant and no dealer network. (Except Bigfoot)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #11

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Hi Mike, fellow Californian,
We love our 2011 Scamp (13') that we bought new. We looked for a used one for over a year and decided to purchase new so we could get every feature we wanted. See my reply to another FGRVer below regarding the trip to Backus. I would say you have every reason to travel there since you have personal history in Minnesota.

In late August of 2011 we picked up our new 13' Scamp in Backus, MN and drove it home to California. I have to tell you it was an exciting trip and a joy to talk with the folks at Scamp as well as to see the "plant". It was worth the trip just to get a photo of our "baby" under the "flying Scamp". We stayed at a nearby park (Railley's at Pine Mountain Resort) for a couple days, everything on the trailer checked out well and it was comforting to know we were close to the factory if there had been any issues.

The trip home was such a joy, as we camped in places such as Custer State Park (see photo of Scamp with bison!) Black Hills of South Dakota; where we saw Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse Memorial, Yellowstone; where we saw unreal hot springs and the Grand Tetons; truly spectacular mountains.

We heartily encourage you to make the trip to and from Scamp headquarters to pick up your "baby" and to have a trip of a lifetime.
Attached Thumbnails
140.jpg   035.jpg  

007.jpg   052.jpg  

055.jpg   092.jpg  

131.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #12

California
They ended up bringing the price down from 11,000 to 9700. They also included all of the camping gear like utensils, cups and plates, porta potty, portable heater and several other small items. The thing looks brand new from the inside and out. We are thrilled and so is our 4 year old!
Old 08-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #13

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Good for you. Let the camping and fun times begin!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #14

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Glad that worked out for you.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:52 PM   #15

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: UHaul
California
Registry
Congrats Mike on your "new" Scamp!

Gilda: Thanks for posting pics of your trip. In a word Jealous....lol. I meant Beautiful!
luvrOlife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp