2013 Bigfoot 21 footer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Own a 2013 BF 21 foot.
California
2013 Bigfoot 21 footer

Hello,
About to take the plunge on a new 21 foot BF. Saw a 25 footer about 5 years ago and really liked it. Wonder boards opinion of the new BFs? Besides the high price tag how do you feel about them, worth the money, built well? Thanks for your opinions.

David
Socal
lifermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Bigfoot makes a great product. A true four season unit.

Other than the cost (though I do believe you do get value for it), the only other penalty is the weight. They are much heavier than other makes for their given size, mostly requiring a larger tow vehicle.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #3

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Bigfoot makes a great product. A true four season unit.

Other than the cost (though I do believe you do get value for it), the only other penalty is the weight. They are much heavier than other makes for their given size, mostly requiring a larger tow vehicle.
Not a problem as I drive a Ram dually with a 6.7 cummins. Probably over kill but hey, I have the pink slip. :-)

David
Socal
Old 02-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifermc View Post
Not a problem as I drive a Ram dually with a 6.7 cummins. Probably over kill but hey, I have the pink slip. :-)

David
Socal
I have an F250 with a Powerstroke diesel in it, and have used it with other bigger stick built trailers. I really like using my Pilot instead as a tow vehicle, especially for when tripping around with the trailer parked at the campsite.

I had given some serious consideration to a Bigfoot before myself, as they perform great in our colder climates.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I haven't followed the new production of the Bigfoot trailers, but is the four-season a standard now? Or, is it still an option? I know for a fact, not all (prior to banktupcy) Bigfoot trailers are four-season. For ME, if it's an option... I'd get it. If for no other reason than dual pane windows. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #6

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Bigfoot 21

I have a 2001 Bigfoot 21RB that does not have sealed tanks like the new ones do. I tow with a 2007 Toyota Tundra with a 5.7V8. Plenty of power when driving in the wind, up and down hills.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #7
SRD

Name: s
Trailer: none
us
We had looked at many of the molded fiberglass trailers and a few others over the course of a couple of years and finally decided that a Bigfoot 21RB was the best fit for us. It's a remarkably well built trailer and a pleasure to use. The F250 that we have has proved to be a good match for a tow vehicle providing stability and adequate power (gas engine). The only improvements that I would suggest with the trailer and overall setup however are as follows.

The Bigfoot cabinet framing has always puzzled me in that it is made of wood but covered in a simulated wood vinyl tape. I think a solid hardwood or veneer would've been a better choice. That being said I like the idea that Bigfoot does not use any particle board anywhere in the trailer.

Although the bed size is adequate for us it is difficult to make. I have no suggestions for improvement short of upgrading to the 25' model. We may do that in the future but I think we would be giving up the advantage of a more maneuverable smaller trailer, which is almost perfect otherwise.

The power of the F250, 5.4L gas engine is a little weak on power going up steep inclines. We would never get a diesel engine but I think the newer F250 gas engine might help.

We have a small Honda 2000 generator that is barely adequate. I'm thinking that a Honda or Yamaha 3000 generator stored in the covered pickup bed would work better for us.
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #8

California
SRD,
I too have a honda 2000 genny. Why do you not care for it and concerning the floor of the 21 footer, is it plywood?

David
Socal
Old 02-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #9
SRD

us
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifermc View Post
SRD,
I too have a honda 2000 genny. Why do you not care for it and concerning the floor of the 21 footer, is it plywood?

David
Socal
The Honda 2000 is a fine generator but it will not power everything in the trailer, especially the AC. I also don't like taking it in and out of the pickup bed to charge the trailer battery or to just run the microwave. I think the larger Honda or Yamaha 3000 is a better fit and more useable if set in the pickup bed. All I would have to do is roll it onto the tailgate and hook it up to the trailer. I once thought of the built-in generator option but I didn't like the idea of the extra noise and vibration to the trailer. As for the flooring, yes, it is all plywood.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:56 AM   #10

Name: Don
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Michigan
Have a 2005 BF 25RQ. Had an Airstream and a Scamp. I like the BF almost as much as my wife, but it doesn't give back rubs.
strander100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
David -
We have had 3 Bigfoot trailers. A couple of 21RB's and now a 25RQ. Loved them all, they were all purchased used. The first one was sold when we got a great deal on a newer one with some updated features. We then went to a 25 on a whim when a good deal came along. The 21RB does have a bed that is difficult to make, so the 25 with the walk-around queen is a really nice improvement. I assume your 2013 21' will be the front-bed model? That seems to be what the new factory team is going with now. There have been so few trailers produced since the new ownership at Bigfoot, that there is very little info out there for comparing them to the pre-bankruptcy models. The production is in the same factory with the same fiberglass molds, with many of the former Bigfoot employees in the ownership and employee roles. Probably few changes, if any, have been made in the overall design. It would be great if you could bring your 2013 to the Bigfoot Rally in Cody, Wyoming this fall. Many attendees would love to see a brand-new model to compare to our older ones.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
BTW - your other questions. I don't know what AC Bigfoot is now using in their trailers. My three different trailers all had a Duotherm 11000 BTU roof-top AC. My Honda 2000 generator will not operate this model. It will start and run it for a short time, but the gennie will soon overload and shut down. There is a recent thread about this elsewhere on this forum. If I was ordering a new trailer from the factory, I would consider having them install an AC more compatible with my Honda 2000.

As for the floor, Bigfoot trailers have molded fiberglass all the way around the bottom with plywood laminated on top. Some brands of fiberglass trailers, such as Scamp and Burro do not have fiberglass on the bottom, just the plywood. There are endless discussions about this between Scamp and Casita owners. The Scamp design favors marketing a low weight for buyers with smaller tow vehicles. Bigfoots are notoriously heavy for a reason. Walls and floor are reinforced with thick plywood and foam insulation. The tanks are enclosed with spray insulation, the windows are double-pane, the furnace is ducted to the plumbing and tanks, the frame is heavier steel. All of this creates a rugged 4-season trailer that is hell on gas mileage, but great in all weather. Here in Wyoming, I need the freeze proofing. Especially since some of our hunting seasons go until late November. If we never had a reason to camp in freezing weather, I probably wouldn't want the extra weight and expense of a 4-season trailer. On the other hand, if you want a molded fiberglass trailer larger than 13' to 17', there are very few options.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #13

California
All good info for sure. Thanks to all for the information.

David
Socal
Old 03-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #14

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Do not forget about the new Escape 21' coming out this fall:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...del-53429.html
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #15
SRD

us
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Do not forget about the new Escape 21' coming out this fall:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...del-53429.html
Is the Escape 21' a four season trailer? Is there a floorplan posted for it somewhere?
Old 03-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Steve,
Click on the link in the message, it will give you a description/layout. It can be configured similarly to a Bigfoot, sprayed foam on tanks, dual windows, extra insulation and tank heaters.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #17

Name: Rob
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21FB
Oregon
I have a 2013 21ft Bigfoot on order. I ordered the generator option and can tell you that it is an Onan 2500 model. This generator is well suited and will power the AC unit with room to spare. I can also report that 4 season is standard now. One of the features that attracted me to this trailer is the heavy duty frame that it sits on. I have owned other units with inadequate frames and can say that dealing with the consequences is no fun chore. While we have not taken delivery yet, we also looked hard at other units before selecting Bigfoot. We were not dismayed by the price, but view it as paying forward for many trouble free miles. Good luck to you with your purchase.
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #18

California
Thanks for the info. I have not bought yet but am going north to the dealership tomorrow and will sit and talk with them. They tell me the 21 foot will arrive end of this month.

David
Socal
Old 03-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #19

Name: Rob
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21FB
Oregon
You can order one optioned the way you want it...
robn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #20
SRD

us
Quote:
Originally Posted by robn View Post
I have a 2013 21ft Bigfoot on order. I ordered the generator option and can tell you that it is an Onan 2500 model. This generator is well suited and will power the AC unit with room to spare. I can also report that 4 season is standard now. One of the features that attracted me to this trailer is the heavy duty frame that it sits on. I have owned other units with inadequate frames and can say that dealing with the consequences is no fun chore. While we have not taken delivery yet, we also looked hard at other units before selecting Bigfoot. We were not dismayed by the price, but view it as paying forward for many trouble free miles. Good luck to you with your purchase.
The onboard Onan is the ultimate in convenience. The only concerns I had when faced with what to do for a generator on my Bigfoot 21RB was the noise, vibration and fumes from something onboard. It seemed to me at the time that all of those potential problems could be resolved with a separate generator. I'm still not convinced that I made the right decision. The Honda 2000 that I bought powers everything except the AC and runs almost unnoticed inside or outside the trailer depending where it's placed. The only problems that I've experienced with the setup besides not being able to run the AC has to do with convenience. I have to pull out the generator from the truck and hook it up. I also have to carry a can of fuel with me. My understanding is the onboard Onan runs off of the trailers propane, which adds another convenience to it.

I would be interested to hear your opinions on the Onan setup when your trailer arrives. I might change my mind on getting the larger Honda or Yamaha generator.

Tags
bigfoot