2018 Scamp 16 Axle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-16-2020, 07:13 PM   #1

Name: Craig
Trailer: In the market
South Dakota
2018 Scamp 16 Axle

Today, the bearings on the passenger side wheel overheated and now it looks like I may have to replace the axle. Of course, the “why did this happen,” is always subjective. I bought this trailer used in March this year, and in April, I had both wheel bearings replaced new—just for self-assurance of where I was starting out....

Now I am in Northwestern Nebraska, and looking for whom can do the repair/replacement. I was lucky to notice the smoke from the wheel when I stopped for gas—fortunate that an auto service shop was next door who was willing to do a damage assessment. Verdict was that it needed repair by a shop that work on trailer (i.e. someone else, someone qualified).

So here I am wondering how to handle this? Tomorrow I get to search for an RV Service or maybe Trailer Repair—not sure of pros vs cons. 2) I am wondering if there is an upgrade to beef the axle up, as I like to go off the pavement—is there a different type of axle better suited for my use? It’s not like ai am vertical on rocks, etc., but clearance is always something I am aware of.

So, any thoughts of options to move forward with? Thanks!
7sopaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:57 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Try looking at Flexi-Ride axles because you can change the angle of deflexion any time you wish to change the height of your trailer for clearance. With This axle you can replace just the spindle if you ever damage it. I had one installed on our Scamp, and now on our Lil Snoozy.
Best of luck.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:23 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Call scamp i believe the 2018 axles are bolt in. Check that and have a complete axle shipped to your local shop.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:48 AM   #4

South Dakota
Thank you! I looked at this set-up, and it looked like this was comparable to what I was thinking about. How would I choose between the full-axle vs. half-axle version? The half-axle seems like it would be more versatile in more demanding terrain situations, and, in comparison, the full axle might provide a stable platform for more uniform (less aggressive) terrain conditions. Am I on the right track with that thought?

I am in a safe location now and the Scamp is securely parked, so I’m not feeling as anxious—so in the morning I’ll make some calls to get a better idea of what works best. I guess I have to be somewhere, and I have always enjoyed the Midwest prairie states (a bit smoky right now, though), so I’m feeling that there isn't an immediate rush... Thank you for addressing my questions. Best regards!
Old 09-17-2020, 02:54 AM   #5

South Dakota
Thank you Steve! I’m learning as I go, and I guess today’s experience was in the lesson plan. Best regards!
Old 09-17-2020, 06:46 AM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
With a trailer that new and bearing failure, I suspect shoddy service work. I had a similar problem, local tire shop did my bearing service. The very next trip I had the failure on the road.

Lesson learned. Since then, I always do my own bearing work. Its not hard, and you will know it has been done right.

I'm a huge fan of the Flexi-ride, as you can adjust ride height to get more ground clearance. Handy!

+1 To below. On many of these molded FG trailers, the axle is part of the structural strength of the frame. Don't go with half axles.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:25 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
You want the full axle, not the half axles, unless you plan to reinforce the frame.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:42 AM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: currently shopping
California
Sounds like the shop that did the bearing job should be on the hook for this!
DaveMinBako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:52 AM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sopaw View Post
Thank you Steve! I’m learning as I go, and I guess today’s experience was in the lesson plan. Best regards!
i think you can buy a spacer to go between the axle and the frame to raise it a little check with Scamp.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:51 AM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
What Brand of bearings did the shop replace the originals with?

Cheap China bearings are not worth it. Next time you change bearings make sure they are Timkin Or SKF they are using.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:44 AM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
...Cheap China bearings are not worth it. Next time you change bearings make sure they are Timkin Or SKF they are using.
I totally agree, buy Timkin Bearings from an authorized Timkin Distributor. There are counterfeit Timkin bearings being sold. I also do my own bearing service, and in 60 years of towing, I have yet to have a Timkin bearing failure on the road.
Geronimo John is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, scamp