2019 Hymer Touring GT550 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-08-2019, 11:48 AM   #1

Trailer: Winnebago
2019 Hymer Touring GT550

2019 Hymer Touring GT550 Lite Weight Fiberglass Travel Trailer

https://youtu.be/ygNouqYxFS8
Robert Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:58 PM   #2

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
Pretty neat, although for me the pop-top kind of defeats the point of having a molded fiberglass trailer. I'd be pretty worried about pitting on those front acrylic windows, too.

Nice and light for the size at 2500Lbs, though.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:48 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
2019 Hymer Touring GT550

Given the longevity of the Campster, the Hunter line, as well as the non-molded Eribas, I do not see a pop-top as a deal breaker. In fact a pop-top seems less prone to leaks than the plethora of vents that violate the pristine molded tops of many other models.

In the HOA era, garageability is a big advantage, and reduced frontal area is a good thing when towing with smaller vehicles. I myself would love see a revival of this design feature.

This model comes up a few inches too tall for 7’ garageability (storage wheels, maybe, but the length could also be a factor). On the plus side the towing profile is comparable to a Scamp 13, and 3200# GVWR for a 19’ trailer with a longways permanent bed, wet bath, dinette, 6’5” headroom and under $30K sounds like what many have said they’re looking for. If the build quality is acceptable, it should do well.

I welcome this addition to the molded family, and I’m kind of hoping she has a little sister.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:22 AM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I like it! Finish inside looks quite good, love the screen/shade combo.

Things I don't like: no propane, tiny refrigerator. Not sure about the AC. I would prefer a rock guard awning for the front windows. What is the subfloor made out of? Location of the refrigerator means you aren't going to be able to put something larger in there either.

Very similar layout to the Escape 19. Lower height should make storage and towing easier.

All in all, a great start for a new molded trailer company.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:43 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Does have propane cooktop, and propane combined furnace/water heater.

EDIT: The all electric fridge means that for boondocking, need to add solar, etc.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:05 AM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
The pop-top pretty much turns me off as do slide-outs. Doesn't interest me at all regardless of price, or interior/exterior features. I know this trailer does not have slide-outs, just stating that I like the two piece molded fiberglass trailers.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:29 AM   #7

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I love it! Lots of cool features.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:43 AM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Does have propane cooktop, and propane combined furnace/water heater.

EDIT: The all electric fridge means that for boondocking, need to add solar, etc.
Yes, you are right. They need propane on the refrigerator. Really its a nice rig and its always good to see someone new enter the market. Competition is a good thing!

Looks like they are going the dealer route, as I see several new ones for sale at various RV dealers across USA. People that want new without the wait may be very interested.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:09 PM   #9

Name: Laura
Trailer: Escape 21' 2nd Gen, picked up on Black Friday 2016
Washington
Whew, I'm dizzy now! Dang!

So, what's the point of the handles on the outside front and back, under the windows?

I wonder how long that sink nozzle is for taking a shower. And would you really want to take a shower in there with that medicine cabinet and sink counter?

LOVE how wide the windows open! I have the crank out windows on our Escape, but I sure wish they opened farther. Not too keen on how you have to pull the screen up after you've opened the windows as I can just see bugs coming in or cats jumping out (if they're traveling with me, that is). But, with the way those windows open, can't see any other way of having screens.

It was nice seeing the inside of the trailer. Thanks for the link.

www.UnderKittySupervision.com
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:11 PM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
2019 Hymer Touring GT550

Dunno, Bill. I’m slowly coming around to the view that a 12V compressor fridge is the way to go for refrigeration. Absorption technology is just so inefficient and finicky.

I’m about 90% sure that if (when?) I order a 16’ Scamp, I will have them leave a blank space so I can add one. My mental debate is now over top-load (slide-out) vs. front-load.

Or maybe Hymer’s little sister (around 16’ would be nice) will show up...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Whew, I'm dizzy now! Dang!

So, what's the point of the handles on the outside front and back, under the windows?

I wonder how long that sink nozzle is for taking a shower. And would you really want to take a shower in there with that medicine cabinet and sink counter?

LOVE how wide the windows open! I have the crank out windows on our Escape, but I sure wish they opened farther. Not too keen on how you have to pull the screen up after you've opened the windows as I can just see bugs coming in or cats jumping out (if they're traveling with me, that is). But, with the way those windows open, can't see any other way of having screens.

It was nice seeing the inside of the trailer. Thanks for the link.
They are for moving it around. It's light enough to do that on a level surface and I've seen that on other European caravans.

It would be interesting to know the height, as in will it fit in my carport?, and the cost. I kind of like it and am not put off by the pop top since I have that now with the Campster.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 03:23 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Exterior height is 7'4". Here's link to manufacturer's product webpage. From that webpage there is also a brochure that you can download with even more details.

https://www.gohymer.com/touring-gt-overview/

MSRP starting at $26,460 USD per the product webpage.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
Exterior height is 7'4". Here's link to manufacturer's product webpage. From that webpage there is also a brochure that you can download with even more details.

https://www.gohymer.com/touring-gt-overview/

MSRP starting at $26,460 USD per the product webpage.
Too tall, but I still like the trailer and think the price is ok.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:25 PM   #14

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
The windows here look like the Dometic Seitz window that are used all over Europe and I had them in the T@B Trailer too!
They are amazing really and a whole lot tougher and more nicely made than you can imagine if you have not seen them before.

I have tried to source a few of these for the Cargo trailers I am converting but they are tough to get on this side of the pond and really pricey as well.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:36 PM   #15

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
They are for moving it around. It's light enough to do that on a level surface and I've seen that on other European caravans.

Thanks for that info, which was also sent to me in a PM - thanks folks! Guess I don't look at European campers enough. I did look at a bunch online a few years ago but don't remember if I saw handles on them or not.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:39 PM   #16

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
The windows here look like the Dometic Seitz window that are used all over Europe and I had them in the T@B Trailer too!
They are amazing really and a whole lot tougher and more nicely made than you can imagine if you have not seen them before.

I have tried to source a few of these for the Cargo trailers I am converting but they are tough to get on this side of the pond and really pricey as well.

I did see this type of window when I was at an RV dealer recently looking at the 2 Bigfoots they had on the lot. Forget what brand had 'em as we (meaning me) peeked inside a bunch of small trailers they had there. Lots of different brands. However, I wasn't able to easily open it, so I gave up.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:33 AM   #17
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post

Ed, I see that you had a T@B. Was it the original Dutchman? Did you like yours? We had a 2014 that we only kept for 3 years as it just wasn't for us. It was a good first camper though as we learned what we wanted in our forever home away from home!
Attached Thumbnails
Awning.jpg  
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #18

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
2019 Hymer Touring GT550

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBB View Post
Ed, I see that you had a T@B. Was it the original Dutchman? Did you like yours? We had a 2014 that we only kept for 3 years as it just wasn't for us. It was a good first camper though as we learned what we wanted in our forever home away from home!

Yep mine was one of the early ones of THOR vintage.

I never got it intending to keep it really but instead found it locally really cheap and couldn't resist checking it out.

So I did sleep in it a few times and cleaned it up and flipped it.

I sold it to a member here and delivered it to her in Florida from Missouri where I live and then met her and helped set it up in a campsite at Scamp Camp in Sebring for she and her Kids to use. The Park was actually sold out and she couldn't get a reservation but when they saw the T@B they let her just squeeze it into a spot that was almost unusable even for an Egg but worked for the T@B just fine!

It was a neat trailer full of interesting design and features I thought but was also ultimately just an interesting Sticky too.

My buyer quickly turned it into a Scamp anyway and I hope moved it a new owner too?

It turns out that I never met a trailer that I didn't like,even the ones that I didn't like!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0320.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	390.1 KB
ID:	127287
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:57 PM   #19
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Nice!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 12:51 PM   #20

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
HYMER displayed 2 of their European Market trailers shown below as "Prototype" trailers for the North American Market at the 2016 RVIA show in Louisville KY. These trailers did not yet have USA DOT certification and therefore were considered "Prototype's" with information given to dealers saying these trailers would be available for sale in the USA by the Spring of 2017.

That did not occur.

The Sprinter based market for small motorhome's exploded and Hymer with their acquisition of Roadtek hit the market hard. As posted in another thread by me Hymer North America has been rocked by accounting the executive mis-management. The Hymer family in Germany had previously entered into a agreement to sell the company to THOR. Latest information is that this acquisition will still occur without Hymer North America included. Obviously that's subject to change.

With regard to the trailers shown below they were NOT shown at RVIA 2017 and when I specifically asked about the trailers they said they were not going to be introduced into the USA as the Sprinter market was their focus.

Too bad as these European designed and manufactured fiberglass trailers would have been a GREAT addition to the line-up of fiberglass trailers available in the USA. In my opinion given their quality and design these Hymer trailers would have caused all the US and Canadian based fiberglass trailer manufacturer's to have a long hard look at their product design, manufacturing methods and quality levels.

As such USA fiberglass trailer buyer's may never know what they are missing and that's a shame!
Attached Thumbnails
hymer 1.jpg   hymer 2.jpg  

hymer 3.jpg   hymer 4.jpg  

hymer 5.jpg   hymer 6.jpg  

hymer 7.jpg  

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote