28 foot Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17
Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
28 foot Scamp?

While cleaning out old stuff I came across a fall 2001 issue of SOI (Scamp Owners International) News. There was an interview with Duane Eveland. He started Scamp with his brother Gerold and sister Gladys in 1971.

There was mention of things that were familiar to me: First trailer; 1972 ($900,base!), Acorn name used due to legal issue (1979), Scamp motor home 1984-85 (10 Ford Ranger chassis).
Then there were items I'd never heard before. Sold through dealers (AZ,MT,CO,WA) in the early '70s. An "untruthful" salesman started Casita and then went broke, could this be why there are Backus, MN Casitas? Same guy started Burro in CA. Gerold became a salesman for Casita. But the real bombshell was this "In the mid-1980s we experimented with a 28 foot trailer. It didn't sell well and only three or four were built." I, of course, can't verify any of this, but does anyone know more? I'm looking at you Floyd!
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Nowak View Post
While cleaning out old stuff I came across a fall 2001 issue of SOI (Scamp Owners International) News. There was an interview with Duane Eveland. He started Scamp with his brother Gerold and sister Gladys in 1971.

There was mention of things that were familiar to me: First trailer; 1972 ($900,base!), Acorn name used due to legal issue (1979), Scamp motor home 1984-85 (10 Ford Ranger chassis).
Then there were items I'd never heard before. Sold through dealers (AZ,MT,CO,WA) in the early '70s. An "untruthful" salesman started Casita and then went broke, could this be why there are Backus, MN Casitas? Same guy started Burro in CA. Gerold became a salesman for Casita. But the real bombshell was this "In the mid-1980s we experimented with a 28 foot trailer. It didn't sell well and only three or four were built." I, of course, can't verify any of this, but does anyone know more? I'm looking at you Floyd!
Hey, Tony. Good to see you're still kicking. I may have a copy of that newsletter too. Yes, found it. /WC
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:46 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Nowak View Post

If they built a handful of 28'ers, I wonder what happened to the molds? They could be valuable now; someone might want to try making that size again.

Interesting that a basic Scamp could be had in '72 for about 1/3 the cost of a basic new car. But now a basic Scamp and a basic car are close to the same price.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I have seen and driven a Scamp motorhome( they even made a couple on Dakota chassis) I've seen a few Acorns, I've seen a photo of what might have been a factory utility trailer made from the bottom half of a 13 with a fiberglass lid much like the box lid on a pickup. I've even seen a trailer made by a private owner which was two 16s cut and rejoined to make a long trailer. A sort of a Scamp limo.
Maybe that was the source of the rumor of a 28fter.

I've seen some kits and baths and Elegants, but lord I'm so forlorn, I just ain't seen no Unicorn!(28ftScamp)
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp