2nd Generator Attempt - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-22-2009, 03:21 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Not long ago I purchased a Honda EU2000iac generator to charge the battery on our trailer while dry camping. However, I sold it soon after returning from our first outing because of its irritating noise. The thought just occurred to me to give the generator concept another try, especially since I haven't come up with a suitable alternative for auxiliary power. I'm thinking this time of buying a Honda EU3000i and store/run it in the fully enclosed bed of my F250. I now have a Leer camper shell and Bedrug installed. The camper shell looks to have the same carpet like material on the walls and ceiling as the Bedrug, which should provide some sound absorption. The shell also has windows on the sides, front and back that could be opened for fresh air intake. Does this idea have any chance of success in creating a relatively quiet environment? Would the generator exhaust create a problem?
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 1994 Lite House
it will stink up the interior of the camper and also make the generator run hotter because of the lack of free flowing air across the finns on the head. Aside from that i don't think you will gain much sound dampening because the windows will have to be open. And the camper shell may create a speaker effect possibly making it louder. What about getting a long heavy duty extension cord and have the generator farther away. Or maybe run the generator while you are out and about for the day. My grandparents used to full time boondock with a little Honda and they just had a pretty long extension cord and ran it when they were gone or they would put on music while it was on.
curtis c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have to agree with Curtis. You will get almost nothing for sound dampening from a single wall shell. Distance would be your best friend. I don't find the 2000W Honda to be too bad if it is a 30' or so away, as long as you are not just reading or trying to enjoy the solitude. If you are socializing or playing music you can't even hear it really.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:17 PM   #4

Well, it looks like my idea wasn't so clever afterall. I thought the EU3000i was a good idea because now with the camper shell I could finally secure it better (had just a tonneau cover before and it wouldn't fit) and it could power the AC. The camper shell has a single wall but it does have an interior liner that is similar to the Bedrug. So, that wouldn't help contain the noise? I can't see going back to the EU2000iac because of my previous experience with it. No real complaints about the generator. It just didn't work out for me.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:28 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
Not long ago I purchased a Honda EU2000iac generator to charge the battery on our trailer while dry camping. However, I sold it soon after returning from our first outing because of its irritating noise. The thought just occurred to me to give the generator concept another try, especially since I haven't come up with a suitable alternative for auxiliary power. I'm thinking this time of buying a Honda EU3000i and store/run it in the fully enclosed bed of my F250. I now have a Leer camper shell and Bedrug installed. The camper shell looks to have the same carpet like material on the walls and ceiling as the Bedrug, which should provide some sound absorption. The shell also has windows on the sides, front and back that could be opened for fresh air intake. Does this idea have any chance of success in creating a relatively quiet environment? Would the generator exhaust create a problem?
I thought the 2000 was quiet on eco! Talk about different strokes.
But I like the sound of fan humming me to sleep anyway so the honda probably works as surrogate five blade Honeywell or something.

ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:33 PM   #6

if your running an a/c i doubt you will hear the generator inside anyway A little noise is a small price to pay for a nice cool trailer on a hot day imo.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
You could build a soundproofed enclosure from plywood, various acoustic foams and electric fans. Generator compartments on boats are often soundproofed and it is amazing how well they block annoying generator's noise. Vents could have eggshell foam covered baffles (block high frequency noise) and the plywood planes could be covered with lead laden soundproofing foam (block low frequency noise). Placing enclosure on vibration isolation rubber feet would prevent truck floor vibration (for low frequency). Having 3000W at your disposal you could provide generator's enclosure with forced venting by built in multiple computer fans. With structure located under the canopy rain would not be an issue. With right tools and reasonable funds building such a structure could become a weekend project. Just food for thought.

George.

http://www.cyber-bridge-marine.com/Engine-...-Generator.html

http://www.soundprooffoam.com/soundproofin...&lcode=AA58

http://www.esoundproof.com/Screens/SoundPr...CFRBbagod1TRGBg
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 19 ft Escape
Thats what I do, run my generator in the back of my truck
with the tailgate down and the canopy door up.
I try to position the truck so the sound (back of the truck)
is not aimed towards other campers and its not bad.
No overheating, no problems....
Doug P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Quote:
Thats what I do, run my generator in the back of my truck
with the tailgate down and the canopy door up.
I try to position the truck so the sound (back of the truck)
is not aimed towards other campers and its not bad.

No overheating, no problems....
And I am SURE they appreciate that. LOL.
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:04 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thumbs up

Is noise still a problem with the Honda 2000i? I was thinking of keeping one on the back of a Casita for running an oxygenator at night. Does anyone have ideas for a way to carry a generator and gas on a Casita? Sure would be appreciated.
Jody Forsyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:37 PM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
You can see how I added a generator to my Casita here...
http://www.sell2retire.com/pages/casita-liberty.html
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:41 PM   #12

i think George has got the best solution yet. you could even build it with a little roof and keep it outside by the trailer in case you cant have the rig close enough. Building a soundproof box almost make me want to go generator instead of solar.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:48 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Does anyone have ideas for a way to carry a generator and gas on a Casita? Sure would be appreciated.
Along with Mike's solution here's Joy A's recent topic on a Generator mod on 13 Scamp
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:02 AM   #14

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Steve, we have that generator (the 3000is)and we run it from the tailgate of our truck not inside like you are intending. Our friends do run their 3000 from deep inside the canopy with no heat or smell problems at all but it does not sound "quieter".
I jostle mine out just to make it more accessible. I've been toying with the idea of installing a short slider tray with the intent of being able to pull it out and stow/lock it more conveniently. If I do I'll post it here.

You may be pleasantly surprised to find that the Honda 3000 is quieter in actual operation than a Honda 2000. I have heard this before but not until I was recently camped near some folks who were running a Honda 2000 and both theirs and ours were running at what sounded like similar rpm's that ours sounded noticeably quieter. They were running theirs off a 50' power cord and the generator was buried in the bush away from their campsite...but close to ours.

My personal opinion is that though the Honda 3000 weighs in at 130lbs and can be difficult to shift around inside the truck bed.....it is well worth the purchase, for the quiet power and reliability that it provides as is.

Good luck
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:19 AM   #15

All great suggestions. The tongue mounted box is not really applicable for our Bigfoot but I enjoyed reading all of the thought that went behind designing and constructing them. George R's sound deadening box idea is probably the most effective but Mike T's approach is probably more what I'll end up doing. Taking the generator in and out between trips will be considerably easier. Finding the Honda 3000 to be quieter than the 2000 is a plus. I'm thinking this time around I can have the back of the truck facing away from the campsite (and other campers) and hopefully funnel the noise outward.

Mike Sanders - What do you use for a generator now that your Casita was replaced with a Bigfoot?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:19 PM   #16

Trailer: 25 ft Bigfoot (25B25RQ)
Steve, mine works well mounted on the side of the A frame.
Attached Thumbnails
hondamount.JPG  
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:42 AM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Hi John, can you still manage to squeeze a 30amp connector in between the trailer and generator or do you just turn it around? Clever set up BTW.

Mike
Time K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
What is that black gaget on the street side rear of your generator?
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:35 PM   #19

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Here's what gets me:

The Honda 2000 is loud and "irritating"? Mine is very quiet. Not silent, but not bothersome.

On my last trip, I was near a trailer that was using a Honda 3000, and it was as close to absolute silence while running as anything I can imagine. It was uncanny.

However, if the 2000 noise bothers you...I think the best solution is to do without a generator, or either run it to charge the battery while you're off doing something else. Then turn it off when you get back. I do that from time to time. (Securing the generator, of course.)
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:11 PM   #20

Trailer: 25 ft Bigfoot (25B25RQ)
Quote:
What is that black gaget on the street side rear of your generator?
I bet you saw that in operation at Bandera 2007 and 2008 on my Stratus.

We missed you and Joyce last year. See ya next April.
John H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator