2nd trip and this happens - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2016, 12:21 PM   #1

Trailer: Two 13 ft Scamps
Registry
Thumbs down 2nd trip and this happens

I am sick sick sick over the events f this weekend. I was staying at a campground and the neighbor (whose house was just on the other side of the site I was in) decided to fire off six rounds (target practicing I hope) at 2:30 Saturday afternoon sending me and my dog into a frenzy. I took it better than my dog as he immediately sought shelter via busting straight though the accordion style screen door of my 2016 Scamp. Does anyone know if I can order a new one and replace it myself?
jaye580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #2

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Hi Jaye,
I'm so sorry to hear of this incident! I'm glad to hear that you and your dog were not harmed. Nevertheless, an upsetting experience all around.

We were camping in Canada one time, the only ones in the campground, and we heard gunfire in the not-so-far distance in the middle of the night. It made for a mighty unsettling feeling and for poor sleep, as you might imagine! The next day we found out from a camp worker that there are some "yahoos", my term, not his, that shoot off their guns sometimes just for fun. Hmmmmmm, maybe that's why no one else was camping in the area? I wonder?

As to replacing your screen door, Scamp has replacements available. If the frame is still good or repairable you might be able to replace the screen only. You can purchase replacement screen at almost any hardware store. Even if the frame is shot it might cost less to make a new frame if you or someone you know is handy with wood.

I've also seen screen "doors" advertised on TV that are little more than two curtains of screen which attach with magnets. Perhaps someone on the forum can attest to how practical they are in our trailers. Their advertising says "great for pets" too. After reading the negative reviews for the "As seen on TV" version I read the excellent reviews for the one advertised on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Magnetic-EazyMesh-Professionally-Designed/dp/B00MU5WITO

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 01:21 PM   #3

Registry
Thank you Gilda
Old 06-19-2016, 01:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye580 View Post
I am sick sick sick over the events f this weekend. I was staying at a campground and the neighbor (whose house was just on the other side of the site I was in) decided to fire off six rounds (target practicing I hope) at 2:30 Saturday afternoon sending me and my dog into a frenzy. I took it better than my dog as he immediately sought shelter via busting straight though the accordion style screen door of my 2016 Scamp. Does anyone know if I can order a new one and replace it myself?
Yes you can put it in yourself, it's not difficult. BUT, what broke? Just the screen? You can replace just that. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, check out a place in your town that builds windows or perhaps your local hardware store can help you out. Either would be cheaper than ordering a new screen door from Scamp and having it shipped.

I'm so very sorry, truly.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #5

Registry
It's that new accordion style one that they came out with that folds into itself with pleats, not the bi-fold one that they used to use. The actual screen in intact just mangled to the point of not being able to stretch it out, and it is clipped to a track and all of the little clips came off. There is also a stiff piece of something on the side that isn't attached to the wall that holds the screen up and it is annihilated. Boo
Old 06-19-2016, 02:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well, that let's my suggestion out. I'd contact Scamp... or do you know the brand name? You might be able to order it locally and save yourself shipping costs. Dang.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:17 PM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye580 View Post
It's that new accordion style ...(
Call Plissé

Mailing Address:
6705 Hwy. 290 W., Ste. 502
Austin, TX 78735
Contact No : 866.571.8870
Email: info@plissescreen.com

Also see "Plissé Retractable Screen" paragraph in my musings post.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:28 PM   #8

Registry
Thank you Gordon
Old 06-19-2016, 04:09 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Replacing your screen door with the same screen door will only fix the problem until the next time your dog decides he wants in.
The magnetic screen doors are cheap , works well especially with pets . We hear gun fire all the time when camping , not much that you can do about it except wear ear plugs or move.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:39 PM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Replacing your screen door with the same screen door will only fix the problem until the next time your dog decides he wants in....
or out.. for the going out through the screen problem, I use the divider from a medium size crate. It fits on the floor up against the screen just fine. A spring-loaded rod holds it in place. It is in my way when I want out, but since I had it already the cost was zero point zero* so I put up with it.

* Credit to "Dean Faber."
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:17 PM   #11

Registry
Good ideas guys, I have one of those magnetic doors kicking around somewhere that I have never used, may as well give it a try, sure beats the $200 or so it will cost to replace the original and you are right, dog with go through it again when shots are fired, or fireworks, or thunder.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:21 AM   #12

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We ordered two black ones and a white one on ebay...they were cheap and I figured I could make whatever mods were necessary to fit the small door to the amerigo.

Sounds like your dog wrecked a pretty nice item. Lucky for you both he didn't run OUT of the trailer and get away!

We plan to use a little wooden doggy gate inside the doorway...because the girls will run out and greet anyone, any time if they can. (0/0 cost, we already own it)

Hope whatever you do works out great for you, and my best to your pooch. We've had noise-dashing dogs, and they suffer. Wish some people didn't think sudden loud noises were fun.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:25 PM   #13

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The magnetic screens are a great invention and they are fine when you are at home and the dog is running out into a fenced yard. But they are not suitable for a location without that fenced yard. I would not want to have a frightened animal get loose in a camp site that is strange to them.

Even at my own home the next door neighbor shot off fireworks and my cat panicked, ran a 1/4 mile away and then got hit by a car. I knew it had been hit by a response from the driver to my lost pet sign. My cat ran/crawled off after getting hit and that driver who did the right thing by stopping to search could not find it. The cat hid in the woods but eventually after 10 days of healing time managed to drag itself back home with a broken pelvis and the leg out of socket ($1,000.00 surgery so he could walk). We lived in a rural location that has a campground just up the road. If this happened to your pet at a campground you were visiting it would not know a home location to go back to.

If you are concerned about damage to your screen then at bedtime secure the dog to its bed area with a tether or provide it a crate to sleep in. Or you can create a baby gate type of solution in front of the door using the vinyl coated pet screening. Hooks on each side of the door and a panel of pet screening will take care of your problem at an affordable cost. It is an easy DIY project. It is very strong and easy to work with. We recently used it to create a safe and secure play area for our new dog who was a known escape artist . Here is a link to that material
http://www.joann.com/utility-fabric-.../10173334.html

It is not just gunfire that can panic an animal. In the summer it is not unusual in camping areas for someone to be shooting off fireworks. They don't care if it is illegal or not just like with the guns. There are many campers around who view camping as an incomplete activity without alcohol and whooping it up time. For the complete concept of the outdoor experience they may also mix in fireworks and sometimes guns too. The only reliable way to avoid those types is by staying in RV resorts as that atmosphere does not meet their criteria of camping.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote