$3.50 per gallon!!! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #41

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
remember when gas went over a dollar per gallon? back in 74 i think it was.
at the time you could buy a car for $3,000.
no gas has gon up $2.50 and cars have gone up$17,000.

i can't believe its the cost of gas we complain about.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:17 PM   #42

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Heating fuel goes up in the winter and vehicle fuel goes up in the sumer when people take vacations. Go figure.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #43

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Wasting gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdearing View Post
Stand on any street corning and listen to our use of the right pedal. Gas is still to cheap.
When you see people driving 80 MPH on the free way , weaving in an out of traffic and cutting their MPG by 30 or 40 % "GAS IS STILL TOO CHEAP"

When you see young BOYS standing on the gas pedal at a stop light "GAS IS STILL TOO CHEAP"

When you see people going full speed toward a stop sign and slamming on the brakes at the last minute . "GAS IS STILL TOO CHEAP"

When you see people in cold climates warming up their car at idle for a half hour "GAS IS STILL TO CHEAP"

Wasting energy drives the cost up for all of us and benefits nobody
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #44

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I've got the answer to all of those.
1. Salesman in a company car with a company gas card.
2.Mom and Dad are buying the gas.
3.Some people just don't care about their brakes.
4.Cold seats and frosty windows suck.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #45

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Wasting energy drives the cost up for all of us and benefits nobody
Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, Steve. Gas costs are higher than ever before primarily because of speculation in the market, not because Americans are using more gas than ever before. Americans are driving less and using less gas than they have in many years. Refineries are operating at less than 85% capacity now and they are meeting the demand.

Just because some people drive in an undisciplined way, the way you would probably not like for anyone to know that you drive, does not make the price of gasoline go up. There are facts and there is emotion. Stick with the facts please.

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #46

Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
I've got the answer to all of those.
Greg, I think there might be something to what you say. I'm about to make a 1200 mile round trip (probably 1300) and gas has dropped to $2.48. What a bargain!!

It's interesting that the DFW area is the highest in Texas. The issue has been on the news all weekend. But that's one reason I decided on a new Casita instead of keeping and refurbishing the 7000 pound '86 Argosy, that I love. Seven thousand pounds and thirty-two feet is alot of trailer to pull from coast to coast.

Don

The Don Pod
Old 02-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #47

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Steve's comments take me back to an observation we made while traveling through 8 states over the last year. It was interesting to see that the size of the average vehicle on the road changed as we went through various states. For example through Washington and most of Oregon the average size/type of vehicles we saw were pretty much the same as we see here in BC. As one went further south the size & power of the average vehicle on the road noticeable increased - and even more of a change to the big side as one moved east into states such as Montana, Nevada and Arizona. It wasn't just out in the country areas were cowboys need big trucks :-) it was in big cities as well -which was actually the biggest surprise. We actually did discuss the fact that the cost of gas cant be hurting to many people as few seemed to be down sizing to a smaller or a vehicle with less power to save on fuel or if they are, it isn't happening at nearly a fast a rate as it has in the Pacific Northwest.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #48

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
A quick search for costs based on constant dollars turned this up:

The average inflation adjusted gasoline prices for the following peak years were;
1918, $3.69
1938, $3.16
2008, $3.23
2011, $3.51.

All very close when adjusted for inflation
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #49

NW Wisconsin
Cost Behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Steve's comments take me back to an observation we made while traveling through 8 states over the last year. It was interesting to see that the size of the average vehicle on the road changed as we went through various states. For example through Washington and most of Oregon the average size/type of vehicles we saw were pretty much the same as we see here in BC. As one went further south the size & power of the average vehicle on the road noticeable increased - and even more of a change to the big side as one moved east into states such as Montana, Nevada and Arizona. It wasn't just out in the country areas were cowboys need big trucks :-) it was in big cities as well -which was actually the biggest surprise. We actually did discuss the fact that the cost of gas cant be hurting to many people as few seemed to be down sizing to a smaller or a vehicle with less power to save on fuel or if they are, it isn't happening at nearly a fast a rate as it has in the Pacific Northwest.
That was the point of my post When Rib Eye steak went to $10.00/ lb. I quit eating Rib Eye., when the tax on cigars jumped I quit smoking cigars.
"At some point cost affects behavior"
If gas went to $10.00 /Gal peoples driving habits would change, The present $3.50 / Gal appears not to be high enough to stop wasteful energy use by some people. My father was a child of the depression and even though gas was 25 cents / gal he would not allow me to waste fuel .
As i get older my patience for certain behavior gets less and less
Old 02-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #50

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
But Steve, it can sometimes be very difficult to define "waste of a resource". To some people, the idea of us using our campers is a waste. To the guys and gals that make their living on the shop floor of the RV factory, they would view that very differently.
An active Air force base might typically use a million gallons of jet fuel each day in normal training operations. Some would say: "waste". But when the day comes that these folks need to know how to do their job very well, the use of that fuel might well be considered money well spent.

Bottom line is there is still a lot of crude in the ground. We humans will likely be using quite a bit of it for a long time to come.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #51

Texas
Quote:
Such a generalization does not affect every part of the life of every person, it is a logical fallacy. I'm just not smart enough to know which one. Eating steak and driving are two different issues. If you cut back steak, you can eat chicken. But if you are required to drive 600 miles in your job, you can't just walk or take a bus or fly or ride a bike. It doesn't work that way.

It is true in SOME areas that cost does indeed affect behavior. But not in all areas and not for every individual.

For instance there are MANY people who HAVE TO DRIVE in their job. They can't just quit or change jobs. Most will continue to drive in their work but cut back on other areas. No change in their driving habits at all. And having worked with teens since I was one, I guarantee that few 18-year olds will slow down no matter how high gas costs!! Life doesn't work that way.

D*

The Don Pod
Old 02-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #52

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallDon View Post
..........................For instance there are MANY people who HAVE TO DRIVE in their job. They can't just quit or change jobs. Most will continue to drive in their work but cut back on other areas. No change in their driving habits at all. ..........................D*
How about getting a higher gas mileage car and reducing acceleration from 5s to 60mph to 12 to 60. , this would be a change if behavior.
George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #53

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
I read in todays paper or online that gas this summer should top over 4.00 gallon, but we dont seem to be alarmed, we have gotten used to the spikes , they say the new alarm price point was north of 5.00 gallon
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #54

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
How about getting a higher gas mileage car and reducing acceleration from 5s to 60mph to 12 to 60. , this would be a change if behavior.
George.
$$$. You gonna pay for it?

The Don Pod
Old 02-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #55

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
That was the point of my post When Rib Eye steak went to $10.00/ lb. I quit eating Rib Eye., when the tax on cigars jumped I quit smoking cigars.
If gas went to $10.00 /Gal peoples driving habits would change, The present $3.50 / Gal appears not to be high enough to stop wasteful energy use by some people. My father was a child of the depression and even though gas was 25 cents / gal he would not allow me to waste fuel .
You are correct http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl...unds-to-23-mpg
George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:33 AM   #56

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Actually - if gas went to $10.00 per gallon - fewer folks COULD afford to drive at all - but I very strongly suspect that those who could still afford to drive would not change their habits one teeny bit. So, leaving aside some folks obvious prejuduces against the poor or the underprivileged, we note that every time gas prices go up by any substantial amount, or go through some psychological barrier, fewer people drive and their habits change - FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS (until folks become used to it) - then its back to "biz as usual!"

For many, even those at the lowest ends of the socio-economic scales, they would give up their TVs, their cell phones and many other things before giving up driving. Raising the price of gas to encourage "more economical" transportation simply punishes those who can least afford it, and has little impact on the rest.

There are many parts of the world where prices for motor fuel are VERY high compared to here. Many people drive smaller (more economical but less safe due to less stringent safety laws) cars, but do not drive them differently than the average driver does in N America
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:08 AM   #57

Texas
Quote:
Me too. Now do as I say, not as I do.

D*

The Don Pod
Old 02-14-2012, 04:28 AM   #58

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
George, when I read that article, it was clear that the writer was only about 20 years old. I was wrong. The writer is about 24 years old and just graduated from college less than two years ago, in 2010. The first give away is the complete lack of history and obvious lack of research in the article. The second was that the writer is actually satisfied with the shallow-ness of that article in allowing it to be published.

She states, "Average fuel economy for vehicles sold in the United States has increased since late 2007."

DUH!!!

Anyone legitimate reporter, anyone older than a fresh-out-of-college-first-job-pseudo-reporter would know that average fuel economy for vehicles sold in the united States has increased at least since 1973, the first alleged fuel crisis of recent history, although there were earlier similar crises. But I suspect the author's point was to get the article published, not to write a genuine, thought-provoking and accurate piece.

Of course, cost affects behavior. But the point of gasoline is to fuel our cars and help us get around in daily life, not behavior modification.

D*

The Don Pod
Old 02-14-2012, 08:14 AM   #59

Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
Stop crying fellow Americans, you can double (and more) that price according to where you are living in Europe.
Normand Choiniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #60

NW Wisconsin
Long drives

I worked and lived in a large city my whole working life (6 mile commute) ., In the 1980's many of my fellow workers chose to move to the country and commute. Gas and land were cheap and so what if you spent 3 or 4 hours a day commuting.
They complained about the roads so freeways were built, then more people moved out and they needed bigger freeways,they complained again Many of them lived in the same area yet refused to ride together to save fuel. instead driving large trucks to work at 10 mpg with one occupant. When the plant went on 7 /12 shifts they complained some even slept at work, not able to go home. Roll ahead 25 years ,gas has gone way up, the value of their home has dropped, the freeways are still crowded and there are few jobs in their area to shorten their commute. Their problem is everyone else's fault .!
In my thinking they chose to move 100 miles from their employment no matter how noble the reason . They complain and want the government (you and I) to subsidize their energy costs . My deer hunting partner drives 125 miles one way to work and is constantly complaining about the cost and time to commute . When questioned his answer is "He could not live in the city too many minorities" This is his right and choice!
I empathise with those who have to drive long distances for work but not for those who CHOSE to live 125 miles from their employment. I believe people should take responsibility for their decisions.