$3.50 per gallon!!! - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2012, 06:05 AM   #81

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... Getting ready for a Family Day weekend trip to Ottawa. Filled up the Taurus Wgn. with St.Thomas' friendly gas!!! Darned near doubled the value of the vehicle!!! $69.25 for the fill...58.634L X $1.181/L YIKES!!! The pump spit out a coupon for $2.34 to be used on groceries at the Real Canadian SuperStore so that made me feel much better LoL. At least we can eat some beans!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #82

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
$1.18 per liter sounds a whole helluvalot better than the 1.29/liter around here. (For our US friends, that works out to about $4.84 per US gallon)

(And I have seen $1.34/liter somewhere around here, too! I filled up my 4Runner last night in Bellingham, Wa at 3.34/gal!)
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:37 PM   #83

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
$1.18 per liter sounds a whole helluvalot better than the 1.29/liter around here. (For our US friends, that works out to about $4.84 per US gallon)
Alf, I'm with Dave stop your cringing - the price here today is 1.31/liter.... thats down from $1.35 . Besides you need to keep in mind that you luv your family and they are worth way more than that!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:11 AM   #84

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
Using reporter’s age as a base to disqualify the report is rather unfair.
I used her poor reporting, shallow writing and lack of research to disqualify the report. It's written more like a memo than a report.

D*

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:26 AM   #85

Name: Don
Trailer: Still deciding, but changing my mind from the Casita FD to the Lil Snoozy!
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
Pay for what?
George.
You said,

"How about getting a higher gas mileage car and reducing acceleration from 5s to 60mph to 12 to 60."

I replied,

"$$$. You gonna pay for it?"

D*

The Don Pod
CallDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:40 AM   #86

British Columbia
I'm more interested in safety. If I can reduce my acceleration to 60 TIME by yet another second or 2, then I can merge into traffic much safer.

My personal view - obviously NOT shard by a lotta folks on here - is that a car that takes 12 sec to accelerate to 60 is a menace and should only be allowed on roads with a posted speed limit of less than 30 mph. For myself, I'd MUCH rather have the ones than can do zero to 60 in under 4 sec.

And since this is a towing forum, if a car is so underpowered that it cannot do better than 12 sec for a zero to 60 time, I really hope no-one is planning on towing ANYTHING with it!
Old 02-17-2012, 07:00 AM   #87

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave
I'm more interested in safety. If I can reduce my acceleration to 60 TIME by yet another second or 2, then I can merge into traffic much safer.

My personal view - obviously NOT shard by a lotta folks on here - is that a car that takes 12 sec to accelerate to 60 is a menace and should only be allowed on roads with a posted speed limit of less than 30 mph. For myself, I'd MUCH rather have the ones than can do zero to 60 in under 4 sec.

And since this is a towing forum, if a car is so underpowered that it cannot do better than 12 sec for a zero to 60 time, I really hope no-one is planning on towing ANYTHING with it!
Most people have NEVER experienced 0-60 in 4 seconds... And probably never will. Only a handful of cars can do this, and they aren't the kind you tow with.

I grew up driving cars that took 12 seconds or more to get to 60 MPH. None of them were a menace. All of them could merge safely. Your view is a little unrealistic. I challenge you to do this: drive from 0-60 like you normally do. Have someone in the car check your time with a stopwatch. Report back to us.

There seems to be some kind of irrational fear of merging onto a highway. You do not need a Lamborghini to do it safely.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #88
Commercial Member

Name: Mark and Tara
Trailer: 2005 13' Scamp
New York
Prices go up too fast. As of yesterday (Feb 16, 2012), 3.79 at Hess, 7th North at Electronic Parkway. Last week (cant recall what day), it was 3.67, same location. I am in Liverpool, NY if that helps you where.
Mark and Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #89

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Most people have NEVER experienced 0-60 in 4 seconds... And probably never will. Only a handful of cars can do this, and they aren't the kind you tow with.

I grew up driving cars that took 12 seconds or more to get to 60 MPH. None of them were a menace. All of them could merge safely. Your view is a little unrealistic. I challenge you to do this: drive from 0-60 like you normally do. Have someone in the car check your time with a stopwatch. Report back to us.

There seems to be some kind of irrational fear of merging onto a highway. You do not need a Lamborghini to do it safely.
Don't need to have anyone come with me and bring a stop watch - I just look at my timeslips from the strip. Zero to 135 MPH in 9.75 sec, in 1/4 mile.

For my "normal" driver - a Toy 4Runner - no idea what its zero-60 time is, but it is WAY more than twice as long as it really should be. I guess I should plug my G-Meter into it and see what it actually IS doing!

By the way - if anyone is actually interested in seeing how much power their car is ACTUALLY making (as opposed to the claims made by the manufacturer) and how good your brakes REALLY are, I HIGHLY recommend acquiring a Gtech meter

It will give a read out of how much HP, zero-60 time, braking distances and all that good stuff. It requires NO installation - you plug it into the cig lighter socket and turn it on. To get HP reading you enter the car's ACTUAL weight

Now we can see how well you can stop, as well as how well you can stop WITH YOUR TRAILER!

Gtech's are not expensive and can be found on EvilBay as well as on Amazon, and in auto perf shops (they are ALWAYS cheaper on line!)

And by the way - depending on the model, some Lambos may be FAST but not overly QUICK. Quick is much better than having a 220 mph top speed!
Old 02-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #90

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
But do they make a hitch for a supercar??
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #91

British Columbia
For my 9 second Camaro - yes. (but the changes I have made to it sorta hinder its utility as a tug! )

BTW - That one is for sale now.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #92

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
acceleration

The strip of Interstate 94 in St. Paul Minnesota was an urban renewal project.
They ran the freeway through the center of the Black community because the land costs were less and the Black community had little political power to stop it. The government purchased no more land then necessary thus we have really short entrance ramps , close together and 3 highways merging at a curve causing constant traffic jams, A friend of mine is an engineer for the Minnesota DOT and he told me that the short entrance ramps which are basically parking lots during rush hour lead to numerous accidents . There is not enough ramp to get up to speed before merging into traffic . They could lengthen the ramps but sometimes there is no room or no money to accomplish this . You would need a car that goes from 0 to 60 in 0 sec
Sometimes the problem is with road design and not the vehicle.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #93

British Columbia
There are a LOT of places with entrance ramps like that - and I seem to find them all!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #94

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
But do they make a hitch for a supercar??
LOL stick around I am pretty sure someone will show you!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #95

British Columbia
Yes - but since Lambos & Ferraris &Maseratis etc, etc are European, they will likely only have the European tow ratings!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #96

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We've been all over and taking the whole road system into account, it's mostly very good. We avoid the big cities and the Interstates and find little reason to have merging race car speeds. If we're 'on ramping' it's hardly ever in a city and it's never during rush hour.

It's also obvious that most 18 wheelers don't have those acceleration rates and survive quite well. Sometimes it takes patience and at least for us retired RVers it's something I've acquired. As well acceleration is related to fuel usage and fuel usage is another thing I try to minimize.

The place I bought gas for $3.17 earlier in the week is now $3.39, increasing faster than the national debt.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #97

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Yes - but since Lambos & Ferraris &Maseratis etc, etc are European, they will likely only have the European tow ratings!
Yup and I suspect they will have different structural components than what we poor folks here in NA get offered as well. Might have to rebuild the whole back end as well. None the less I suspect a few here have the talent to do it.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #98

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Dwarf View Post
$1.14 per litre ($4.32 per gallon) at the Costco in Courtenay, BC.
Oh Stop your bragging!! I just paid 133.9!! Next your going to brag you saved enough on gas to be able to afford to take the ferry to get off that lovely Island!
Old 02-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #99

British Columbia
For our U.S. Friends, $1.32 per liter is approx $5.00 per US Gal (just a reference point!)

So when our southern friends moan about paying $3.75 per gallon - cry me a river, folks!
Old 02-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #100

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B / 2005 Tacoma 4x4 D Cab
The savings on fuel, booze is wwaayyyy cheaper, food can be cheaper, places to stay are less expensive and nicer (state parks etc.) Combine that with great weather and meeting truly excellent people........no wonder we spend most of our holidays in the States!!!

Looking forward to another road trip this summer...in the States.
BC Paul is offline   Reply With Quote