3D printed trailer? We will see... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-08-2018, 09:29 AM   #21

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Yes, I have seen computer printed houses:

I am aware of the current capabilities. But when you are laying it down dot by 3D dot, it is slow. And no it is not "micro molding" since there is no mold. I'd say 3D printing is as accurate a name as possible.

Most of the older trailers were made with a chopper gun. All of my Trilliums were. Many still are. The volume of material flowing out of a chopper gun is currently much more then a 3D printer. Though I am sure that will eventually change.

Change is always risky. One day, soon, computers will be as smart as a person, for a very short time. Then they will make us look stupid. When computers do everything better then us, what use do we have? Pets? You might not be missing much fun.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:08 PM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
The thing with 3D printing is it is all scale-able. Get big heaters and pumps and instead of feeding a few thousandths per layer at a time, think of a big 1/4 inch nozzle pumping a pound of material a minute. There is also the capability of adding multiple nozzles following each other. It gets really creative when you look at life time of use. We like our trailers but it is rare that we keep them for extremely long periods of time. We keep the for 10 or 15 years and sell them off to someone else. So if the molded plastic wont last 20 years exposed to sunlight it lasts 10 then chop it up and recycle it, blend it into new stock and inject another trailer or a cooler or a bike helmet. While it may take longer to produce a printed shell there is no building crew that you are paying expensive labor for to make the basic shell. employees are not being exposed to very harsh chemicals and other nasty stuff.

For a good look at 3D printing in its beginning stages check out: https://www.shapeways.com/

Just think what may be possible 10 or 20 years from now.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:39 AM   #23

Name: Wil
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Yes, I have seen computer printed houses:

I am aware of the current capabilities. But when you are laying it down dot by 3D dot, it is slow. And no it is not "micro molding" since there is no mold. I'd say 3D printing is as accurate a name as possible.

Most of the older trailers were made with a chopper gun. All of my Trilliums were. Many still are. The volume of material flowing out of a chopper gun is currently much more then a 3D printer. Though I am sure that will eventually change.

Change is always risky. One day, soon, computers will be as smart as a person, for a very short time. Then they will make us look stupid. When computers do everything better then us, what use do we have? Pets? You might not be missing much fun.
Wow. Hadn't seen anything like that before. And the sporty car in one of the videos in the follow-on.

That's not "laying it down dot by 3D dot". And I wouldn't call it slow.

I used the wrong term for welding. It should have been "casting" instead of "molding." I haven't done any for a long time. But basically for butt welding you lay the two plates down end-to-end, then melt a little pool at one small spot in the joint. So you have a small pool of molten metal "cast" in a surrounding "mold" of the solid metal around it. Then you just move the "mold" and molten pool along the joint.

At any rate, it looked like that house builder had a nozzle with flat sides on it that formed it as it went along. Could be thought of as a moving mold that shapes the material as it is moves along. Note also that they make a point of the fact that don't mold the parts and bring them to site for assembly. they bring the "printer" to the site and build the home as one continuous stream of whatever the "goo" is that they use.

So they are already doing what I thought would be in the future. The future is now.

Thanx for showing that.
wilyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:06 AM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1323053
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:19 AM   #25

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I watched Carl's video. Man is that printer slow. They say at the end that they will speed it up three times. That would still be way slow. But, as was said, this is a starting point.

BTW: Casting still uses a mold. Think cast iron fry pan. In my opinion, the closest process to what Wil is thinking of is an aluminum spool gun MIG welder. You can just build up layer after layer of material. But I am no welder.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:10 AM   #26

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
You can watch it livestreamed:

Fascinating. A melded trailer as opposed to a molded trailer.

CindyL
Old 02-09-2018, 09:52 PM   #27

Name: Wil
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I watched Carl's video. Man is that printer slow. They say at the end that they will speed it up three times. That would still be way slow. But, as was said, this is a starting point.

BTW: Casting still uses a mold. Think cast iron fry pan. In my opinion, the closest process to what Wil is thinking of is an aluminum spool gun MIG welder. You can just build up layer after layer of material. But I am no welder.
Well, I did learn welding many years ago and whether you are (were) using gas or electric, at least at that time, it was described as a form of micro casting. No, it was not casting frying pans. It was casting a line of molten metal along a line between two other pieces of metal. The molten metal was not created separately and poured in the mold. The molten metal and "mold' were created simultaneously by either the flame or arc. As you moved along the seam the pool and "mold" moved with the heat and the "pour" solidified behind the moving molding process. Not too hard to visualize if you think about it.

Yes, the process used by the trailer printers is somewhat slow. But watch the video of the house printers. They are laying down a squarish line of "stuff" that looks to be 2 or 3 or more inches square in cross section and moving right along. They build a house, albeit small, in one day and on site with a portable "printing" machine..
wilyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:10 PM   #28

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
3D printing is becoming VERY interesting. Check this news item!

Alberta girl's printed plastic purple hand is perfect for high-fives - Calgary - CBC News
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:38 PM   #29

Registry
Looks like they are working on the roof now. It will be interesting to see what happens when the printing is done, i.e. adding the door.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 7.34.53 PM.jpg  
Old 02-18-2018, 08:02 PM   #30

Registry
It is done. Congrats, Canadians!

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 7.59.19 PM.jpg  
Old 02-18-2018, 09:23 PM   #31

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
amazing stuff

35 years ago I started a business with 2k inventory items, 1k customers with many many invoices. I started with a kaypro computer with a 20meg hard drive inside it.

I built the business to almost a million using that thing then I found another brand with a 40meg hard drive and it had 3 users. it was heaven!

now my little tablet can do all this.

nothing surprises me today!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:24 PM   #32

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
35 years ago I started a business with 2k inventory items, 1k customers with many many invoices. I started with a kaypro computer with a 20meg hard drive inside it.

I built the business to almost a million using that thing then I found another brand with a 40meg hard drive and it had 3 users. it was heaven!

now my little tablet can do all this.

nothing surprises me today!!

bob
The crazy thing is, your tablet (or phone) isn't just a match for that old kaypro computer. It's far, far more capable. Even a smartwatch puts it to shame.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:24 AM   #33

Missouri
Elliot this is amazing isn't it? I remember when McDonald aircraft invented the first I/c put that thing under a microscope and talk about amazing? it changed everything in electronics made all things tiny in circuits.

if you looked you would see complete circuits using resistors, capacitors and bunch of other things all almost pin dot size!

We aint seen nothing yet folks!! the next generation is going to see far more amazing things!

bob
Old 02-23-2018, 11:42 PM   #34

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Check it out, a walk through: https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/video?c...ource=facebook
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:04 PM   #35

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Thank you Donna, yours are some of the best posts here. They said it took 9 1/2 days (to print). I see that as among the least of their concerns. Ask Robert Johans, creator of The Nest, Caravan, due soon from Airstream. He had 30 years experience, with a handful I think on the Nest. As important as the product, is financing it and marketing it. He hopes to have an offering by year end. Good luck. Still, it is certainly something I would consider.

They may be the first to offer optional ice fishing holes in the floor. Good niche.

I may be a little too modest for the frosted translucent version at night. Anyone remember silhouettes in tents? Note, a pigment in the plastic should solve that. An interior liner or insulation would as well.

He has a long way to go, but I think he has potential. Many of the sub-assemblies to complete a trailer already exist: appliances, lighting, cabinets, frames, plumbing, electrical.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:53 PM   #36

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I would be happy to 'test drive' an early model and supply feedback and reviews. Could even collect it before heading to the lake.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:29 AM   #37

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Thank you Donna, yours are some of the best posts here. They said it took 9 1/2 days (to print)..
so a production volume of 40 shells/year per mondo big 3D printer.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:56 PM   #38

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Oh my STARS. I'm going to get to see it, in person!! Check this out, Ian posted this in the 50th Boler Event and Caravan Facebook group.
Attached Thumbnails
3D-Trailer.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:49 PM   #39

Missouri
I forsee a huge printer capable of running far more of these after all we are all buying into elan musks stuff!

bob
Old 02-25-2018, 08:55 PM   #40

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Donna please take a few minutes to set him straight as to what will work.

A full report would also be nice.

Yes, pictures.

Thank you.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote